Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2019-2020 NHL Hockey season  (Read 166555 times)

arimaBOATER

Re: 2019-2020 NHL Hockey season
« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2019, 09:58:46 PM »

Another win for us and another loss for the team from Vancouver. Unless they pick up their socks it will not be a Merry Christmas for them.
Seen your post hours ago & waited for FA to respond ( hit or push back ) Give him the first response.
Either he's busy still doing his Christmas shopping or advising Canucks.

Hear ye Hear ye the Canucks will win their next 3 games...bright days ahead.
( Chris's post has some truth to it...he 's good at putting salt & vinegar in wounds OUCH. )

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2019, 11:57:50 PM »

TNAngler

« Reply #137 on: December 17, 2019, 08:11:23 AM »

I am not a hockey coach although the paycheck would be nice.  Ok, so the article comes out, the coach tells the team that they need to put forth the effort that they need to buy into this team support it.  Team came out roughly the same for the first half of the first period but then kicked it in to a higher gear.  They looked like they actually cared, looked like they wanted to win and would do anything to get the puck.  They forechecked better last night than they have in months.  Low and behold, we dominated.  Gave up one fluke goal where the defenseman was carrying the puck up ice, stumbled and lost the puck, slid right to one of their guys and it was a 2 on the goalie.  Goalie still almost came up with the stop but accidents happen.  We were up 3-1 with just a little left in the third when they went empty net and quickly got a second goal.  Then went empty net again and we hit an empty netter.  They went empty again and we got a second one.  5-2 final.

I agree that it can be a lot of things.  Not enough effort.  Being tired.  Playing good but the other team just played better.  Just collecting a paycheck.  Both teams played great but the puck bounced just right for one team.  The problem is, nobody was saying that we were playing great.  We had a lot of shots.  Dominated there but they were all from the outside and very little net front presence.  That changed last night.  Hopefully it isn't just a one game thing.  Hopefully a fire was lit under some backsides and they realized they were going to have to put forth the effort.  Amazingly, although we played well, the Rangers spent a whole lot of time in our zone and they had some crazy times where the puck was loose in front of our net.  The difference was our guys fought harder than theirs and got the clear.  We kept fighting during penalty kills despite being tired.  Had one shift where the guys were on the ice for 2 minutes, mostly in our defensive zone, lot of shots blocked, lot of saved by the goalie but they didn't give up and they kept getting in the shooting lanes and didn't allow Panarin to get a good look.  Yes, it did end with the guys getting a penalty which you have to expect after that long but they kept fighting.

A lot of the commentary around the Preds uses a bunch of stats and stuff but they also reference the eye test.  The eye test showed last night a vast improvement

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #138 on: December 17, 2019, 06:33:59 PM »

I wonder how long Green and Benning have unless the ship gets back on course.
http://

arimaBOATER

« Reply #139 on: December 17, 2019, 09:03:57 PM »

Maple Leafs win big 5-3 over Sabres
Predators 8 goal game & W over Islanders.  Back to back 2 wins in a row.
Unreal.

As far as Green goes  & Benning I think they are on solid thick ice.
Canucks are a much improved team from last year. But if the team goes into a long slump possibly heads will roll. Close game tonight in Vancouver. Who will win ?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #140 on: December 17, 2019, 10:10:58 PM »

I predict a 3-1 Montreal victory  ;D

arimaBOATER

« Reply #141 on: December 17, 2019, 11:19:16 PM »

I predict a 3-1 Montreal victory  ;D

;D ;D ;D
( those two penalties in the 3rd )  >:(

TNAngler

« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2019, 09:32:01 AM »

Not only was it back to back wins and not only did we score 8, but the way it was done really showed heart.  We were up 1-0.  Playing well but then we gave up a goal, then a power play goal, then a short handed goal.  This would have been the point in time where the team was down 3-1 having just given up 3 goals in a very short period of time where the team would usually have lost faith and folded and the rest would have been a disaster.  Instead, on the same powerplay they gave up the short handed, shortly after that, we scored.  Then again and again.  Even up 8-3 with a minute left, our guys were still forechecking and pushing.  There was no sitting back and trying to eat up the clock.  Complete change in attitude.  It was actually pretty awesome to watch.  My dad (who was not a hockey fan till I turned him on to it the last year or two) said that they had been looking crappy but these last two games you can just see the difference in how they play.  The Islanders are/were second in the league for allowing the fewest goals per game so to put up 8 against them is huge.  They were back looking like the team that can go toe to toe against anybody and knock them down and take their ice cream and kiss their wife and get thanked for it when it was all over.

You guys went up early but then I saw you lost the lead.  Last I was able to check it was 2-1.  Unfortunately it looks like it got worse from there.  Boo.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #143 on: December 18, 2019, 11:52:35 PM »

Actually I recently have come to realize many fans are wanting Jim Benning & or Travis Green to be replaced.
There is a push.
Where there is smoke there is fire.

The Preds are playing great recently. Maybe they want wins so they can enjoy Christmas better.
Or is this the real deal Nashville Predators ? Time will tell.
Ya they could of quit last game but they fought back big time at that.
Canucks have their eyes on the Knights.
Payback time.

TNAngler

« Reply #144 on: December 19, 2019, 07:54:32 AM »

One more game on the road trip tonight.  People were saying we were going to have to get two wins on this three game road trip or really risk being out of the hunt.  Already done this so this one is gravy.  And one of our best players is close to coming back.  Could be tonight, or maybe next game.  Will be nice to have him back for the winter classic.  Can't wait for that.  You can watch for me.  I will be in gold  :)

arimaBOATER

« Reply #145 on: December 19, 2019, 10:02:43 PM »

Canucks win in OT 5-4
One exciting game. Both teams went for it.
Chippy rough play at times but lots of fast skating & chances.
4-3 & late in 3rd Kinights tie the game. 4-4.
Then Markstrom made an incredible save & kept it 4-4 !!!!!!
In OT Canucks great puck control & passing....
It lead to a quick goal. Canucks win in OT & fans go home happy.
They sure got their $ worth.  :D

Give Vegas credit as they got a lot of shots so they tried.
Markstrom should of been selected as 1-2-3 rd star of the game.
Canucks get 2 pts / Vegas 1 pt.

And I see Predators lost in OT.
5pts out of 6pts in their 3 last games away ....very very goooooood I'd say.

TNAngler

« Reply #146 on: December 20, 2019, 08:17:20 AM »

Sounds like you guys had a fun game to watch.  We had a bowling party last night and the game was on but didn't watch it closely.  Saw all the goals but didn't really watch the game.  Know we scored first but then went down 4-1 and came back again.  Thought they were falling apart again but they did buckle down.  Planning on watching it tonight.  One more road game against Boston so we will see how that goes.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2019, 01:17:52 AM »

Another big win for Canucks.
A lot of goals on few Canuck shots ( W over Pens )
Markstrom made big saves in 2-3rd period.
Leafs get W with their back up goalie. What do ya know.

And Preds get WIN in Boston 4-3 OT.
That was one of the most exciting games I ever did see. Had everything except the kitchen sink in this one.
Shots hitting posts....big big stops by each goalie...up & down the ice...
Unreal exciting game.
 Lots of creative skilled hard nose hockey.
Surely will make TNA proud.
Boston played great & got a pt for their effort.  :)

Hamus ex Canuck / ex Stars defence man Bible Thumper from Prince George product I think; has brought some silent character to the Preds.
He's not the most physical guy but he has heart.
Remember he tried to body check a guy skating fast down ice & the poor guy got the worst of it because the other guy was big & he is not. :-[ Now that's heart. ( when he was a Canuck )
Mind you he learned the law of physics is very factual.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 12:14:49 PM by A-BOATER »

TNAngler

« Reply #148 on: December 23, 2019, 06:59:04 AM »

Yes, that was a fun game to watch and good win.  4 game road streak, 8 possible points, 7 points obtained.  Just what I ordered.  That will help them get back into the race.  Just a couple points out and the season could be looking much different.

Won't be on much past today.  No work tomorrow or through the end of the year and I will be one of those in gold at the winter classic in Dallas on New Year's Day.

Hope y'all have a great holiday and a happy New Year and that next year is better than this year, no matter what that means.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #149 on: December 23, 2019, 12:13:30 PM »

TNA Thanks for great holiday & Happy New Year wishes for the FWR members.
Merry Christ mas Happy Hanukah Season's Greetings & Happy Santa mas ( pick the one that fits ) to Rodney & Nina & family, FA Chris Nova TNA & EVERY FWR member !!!

Of course I'm bias as had an encounter with the Good Lord so ya it's Christ mas the reason to season nevertheless I respect every religion & moral humanist or those who are atheistic. It's Canada so we are free to think as we will. The main quality of a civilized nation is love & caring...

My Christmas prayer is 1) either Canucks Preds or Leafs win the Grey Cup ( joke..Stanley Cup of course)
And may the military nations all rattling their swords please "cool it"
We do not need WW3 just yet. Delay it for the next 100 yrs please.
We want to watch hockey & go fishing & hunting in this great lands USA & Canada !!!  :)