Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Subspecies?  (Read 2692 times)

lophat

Subspecies?
« on: September 24, 2019, 09:53:21 PM »

Hi everyone, today we had a tale of fly fishing for “Spokane” trout near Williams lake. I thought I was pretty versed on my subspecies but never heard of this one. Anyone out there shed some light? Thanks!

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Subspecies?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 10:27:39 PM »

Well, strangely enough, there is a Williams Lake about 20 miles SW of Spokane, WA that is stocked with trout.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 07:09:51 AM »

No Spokane. Might be a local name for a wild strain?
The strains of (all) fish stocked in B.C. are:
Aylmer
Blackwater
Capilano
Carp
Chapman
Chehalis
Cluxewe
Connor
Deka
Dragon
Fraser
Fraser Valley
Gerrard
Hill
Horsefly
Kitimat
Little Cambell
Lussier
Meadow
Norbury
Oslinka
Oyster
Pennask
Quatse
Quinsam
Seymour
South Alouette
Stamp/Somass
Stump
Sulphurous
Taylor
Vedder-Chilliwack
Vedder-Stave

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 08:05:54 AM »

I have heard of the term sockanee before referring to kokanee caught in lakes that are sockeye smolts.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 03:58:52 PM »

the listed 'strains' are simply where some fish were sourced. In a few cases the fish sourced are cutthroat and not rainbows
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 05:18:36 PM »

the listed 'strains' are simply where some fish were sourced. In a few cases the fish sourced are cutthroat and not rainbows
Actually it is from the GoFishBC website under "Stocked Strains". It includes all fish (including Rainbow, Cutthroat, Brook Trout, etc).

lophat

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 08:52:20 PM »

Lol! Ok, looking at that list, I definitely was not aware of that many strains. Pennask, Gerard, Dragon for sure but the others, who knew?

I was thinking Spokane seems to be a bit “made up”. I’ll check on the exact lake and maybe see if there is of anything to indicate what is in there. Bloody lying fisherman! Lol!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 09:32:28 PM »

Actually it is from the GoFishBC website under "Stocked Strains". It includes all fish (including Rainbow, Cutthroat, Brook Trout, etc).

LOL! Yes I know where the list is from. The strains are associated with locations and not necessarily any biological distinctiveness. That is the point; a strain is not necessarily a subspecies. They are associated with locations and Provincial Biologists believe they have specific characteristics useful for stocking what strain where. In a sense these are 'made up'.

Subspecies corresponds to a fairly permanent geographically isolated race. Most of our strains aren't geographically isolated as they can mix with other strains within the same watershed.

Noted biologist Robert Behnke identified 15 subspecies. The only ones in BC are the Columbia Redband, Coastal Rainbow and Kamloops Rainbow. That list is at least a couple of decades old and likely not inclusive.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 09:36:04 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.