Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Somass River, September 21st 2019  (Read 3042 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Somass River, September 21st 2019
« on: September 23, 2019, 08:48:01 AM »

I spent a day fishing on the Somass River last Saturday for chinook salmon. We were out with Kevin at Murphy Sportfishing. The river had been high this past week so a lot of fish had shot straight up the river. Luckily the river was a bit more manageable on Saturday so they were holding a bit longer before moving on. The bites were definitely slower than usual because of that, but we still had plenty of bites. There wasn't a whole lot of shore access because of the high water, so it was advantageous in the boat which allowed us to move into specific tight spots where fish were holding. In total we had about 15 hook-ups. We landed a bunch of jacks, released a couple of adult fish around 15lb because they were a bit coloured, and I ended up keeping a nice one around Noon. This fishery should be great for a couple more weeks before moving onto coho and fall steelhead in October.

DanTfisherman

Re: Somass River, September 21st 2019
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 09:50:31 PM »

Hey Rod.
Thanks for sharing and the report.
Glad to hear you had a good time and got into some fish.
Isn't a couple of weeks from now getting a bit late for Coho on the Stamp/Somass/Sproat.
Have not been there for some years, but the best/key/peak fishing for Coho, and even Springs, seemed to be the first three weeks of September.

Dano