Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River Water clarity vs Rain fall  (Read 2905 times)

badboi

• I'm a llama!
Vedder River Water clarity vs Rain fall
« on: September 18, 2019, 11:00:58 AM »

Anyone have good rule of thumb to predict if the Vedder will have 'good' water visibility based on predicted Rainfall?

I need to book my Vacation around a week before so I can choose a day based on the Rain Levels.

What is a good target Water Level at the Vedder Crossing.  https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/report/real_time_e.html?stn=08MH056

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder River Water clarity vs Rain fall
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 12:13:56 PM »

From what I have observed - any amount over 1cm of rain in a day can add quite a bit of color, but it clears up very rapidly when it stops raining.  River levels between 1.5 and 1.7m at Vedder crossing are ideal.  Up to 2.1 or 2.2 meters or more is still fishable if the river has been dropping for at least 24 hours, it is just harder to find holding water.  Forecasts haven't been very accurate lately it seems - perhaps because when we have record setting rainfall like we did on Saturday/Sunday it is testing the limits of the computer models that are based on averages. 

So if the river level is below 2 meters and I see 1cm of rain in the forecast - no worry - you should be able to find fishable water.  If the river is at 2.1 m and another 3 cm are predicted?  Be looking to north-side tribs that don't blow out too easy.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 12:18:27 PM by CohoJake »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 04:32:14 PM »

the lower & mid sections below the clay slides above Tamihi color rapidly after a rise in river levels. Check the graph @

https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/report/real_time_e.html?stn=08MH001

even 1/4 to 1/3 of a meter rise can see the river lose significant clarity however it should be more than fishable if clarity is better than a foot.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Robert_G

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 02:00:48 PM »

Keep in mind that the clay situation varies from year to year. Some years they are more stable than at other times. Other years a guy can piss on the clay banks and the river will be dirty for a week.