Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2019 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 157383 times)

clarki

• Old Timer

Fill your waders with hot water like I do and you can have a hot tub with you all day.
There are pills you can take to prevent that. Or just drink less coffee on the way to the river.

yoda

So, got one cohoe on sunday and lost three others. really slow. Went to nicomen today and same story, only imposters except for one guy getting
a bullett chromer.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

So, got one cohoe on sunday and lost three others. really slow. Went to nicomen today and same story, only imposters except for one guy getting
a bullett chromer.

The amount of people fishing the Nic now is stupid. I counted 28 cars parked at the hole along hwy7 this weekend. I took the dog for a walk and the dyke was littered with people. Unbelievable. People really do fish like this. I cant believe it.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

Better make peace with it as its only going to get worse. More and more immigrants are flooding the lower mainland and so logically fishing pressure will only increase

People just dont understand how spread out that tune of fish is. With only 200,000 fry released fish return from mid October till January. The return is so small. I've been there ( for a walk with the dog ) and seen maybe 2 landed all morning between 30 plus guys. Its stupid. I just cant comprehend why anyone would want to do that. In my opinion it's a waste of time. Then again I dont really eat a lot of salmon. I retained 16 early on, canned most of them and pass them off as gifts throughout the year and Christmas. It just boggles my mind to know most of those guys drive out from Van, Surrey or Richmond to roll the dice and be lucky to take home 1 maybe 2. Waste of gas. I see so many guys leave empty handed everyday. I love close by and drive it regularly.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer

People just dont understand how spread out that tune of fish is. With only 200,000 fry released fish return from mid October till January. The return is so small. I've been there ( for a walk with the dog ) and seen maybe 2 landed all morning between 30 plus guys. Its stupid. I just cant comprehend why anyone would want to do that. In my opinion it's a waste of time. Then again I dont really eat a lot of salmon. I retained 16 early on, canned most of them and pass them off as gifts throughout the year and Christmas. It just boggles my mind to know most of those guys drive out from Van, Surrey or Richmond to roll the dice and be lucky to take home 1 maybe 2. Waste of gas. I see so many guys leave empty handed everyday. I love close by and drive it regularly.

Some probably don't know any better.  Would you rather them go and crowd out the system or run that you're fishing?   ;D ;D ;D  For others, maybe they simply enjoy it.  Yes, it's very crowded out there, but I've also seen plenty of "advertisement" on social media which really doesn't help matters.  For the more experienced, it's much more pleasant to (like your name suggests) to hike and find some less crowded spots.  Or just take the dog for a walk!   :)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

The amount of people fishing the Nic now is stupid. I counted 28 cars parked at the hole along hwy7 this weekend. I took the dog for a walk and the dyke was littered with people. Unbelievable. People really do fish like this. I cant believe it.

traffic slows down considerably through that section when it's that crowded. It may not be long before it's posted as No Parking.

Overall it's been another slow season for the rivers on the North Side.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

when i was coming back from chehalis we had to do an emergency stop because someone did a u turn to park there. didn't even care that 3 cars were doing 90ish km towards him. good thing i was paying attention or would have had one smashed up mercedes. 100% on the no parking signs going up there.

psd1179

• Old Timer

Do you want the spot where 400 coho are staging in Nicomen?

milo

• Old Timer

Fabulous.  :)
No wonder the Vedder was so pleasant to fish these last two weekends. Everybody's on the Nic.
As far as I'm concerned, keep them there.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante

Better make peace with it as its only going to get worse. More and more immigrants are flooding the lower mainland and so logically fishing pressure will only increase
.........is that you DJT???....what's better,immigrant or ignorant???
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

I'm a first generation immigrant, I guess I'm part of the problem. Oh well. ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Only immigrants fish ?

ribolovac02

And Don Cherry, gets fired for saying “you people”....  ;D ;D

spoiler

ahahahaha!

bobby b

Why straight to immigrants on the reason for increased fishing pressure?
Would not increased pressure also come from those among the existing population  that introduce friends, kids etc to the sport too?

British Columbia’s population growth rate (+1.4%) in 2017/2018 was among the lowest in the last seven years

Moreover... interprovincial migration also does not indicate huge influx.

Over the past year, the largest interprovincial migration flow was from Alberta to British Columbia (24,453 migrants). The flow in the other direction, i.e., from British Columbia to Alberta, involved 20,904 migrants and was the second largest interprovincial migration flow. When taken into account, these exchanges between the two provinces result in a gain of 3,549 for British Columbia.

Not exactly 'flooding' in...

Btw...growth numbers growth extend to the entire province.
The number of fishermen/women among this new populace would likely be a small percentage...
Increased pressure on any given system is the result of a number of variable factors....it’s not likely you would see a significant 'immigrant' increase on any given local river.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 08:38:30 PM by bobby b »