Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2019  (Read 95291 times)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser Pinks 2019
« Reply #195 on: September 07, 2019, 09:41:40 AM »

816 between Cottonwood and Whonnok yesterday. Great numbers !

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #196 on: September 07, 2019, 10:20:16 AM »

816 between Cottonwood and Whonnok yesterday. Great numbers !
The Mission Passage Test didn't get updated yet. But based on these Gillnet sets, it looks like it'll be around another 600K pinks
So total is 3.5 Million as of yesterday.  Today, we probably exceed all of the 2017 Pinks that made it past Mission.  Interesting it's not falling off the cliff like it did in area 20.  Did a bunch of seals chase away the pinks away form the test fishery ships there?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #197 on: September 07, 2019, 10:40:35 AM »

The Mission Passage Test didn't get updated yet. But based on these Gillnet sets, it looks like it'll be around another 600K pinks
So total is 3.5 Million as of yesterday.  Today, we probably exceed all of the 2017 Pinks that made it past Mission.  Interesting it's not falling off the cliff like it did in area 20.  Did a bunch of seals chase away the pinks away form the test fishery ships there?

Itll pass 5mil for sure. 6mil ? Maybe. If everything keeps moving forward 2021 will be fantastic. Who knows how many we would returned if the US fleet never had an opening.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #198 on: September 07, 2019, 11:56:46 AM »

in the perspective of the last 30+ years 5 to 6 million is not a big return. The median return since 1990 or so was about 12 million.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 01:13:05 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #199 on: September 07, 2019, 12:45:07 PM »

in the perspective of the last 30+ years 5 to 6 million is not a big return. The median return since 1990 or was about 12 million.

I realize that since I can easily see the numbers online. I am simply comparing to last cycle.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #200 on: September 08, 2019, 10:54:39 AM »

if you are looking at the PSC reports such as the Mission Hydro-acoustic counts, they are not done on weekends and it isn't unusual for them not to be posted daily during the week.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #201 on: September 08, 2019, 11:08:28 AM »

It's clearly a conspiracy. ;)

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #202 on: September 08, 2019, 11:47:24 AM »

Top of the report says it may not be updated daily during mass migration.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #203 on: September 08, 2019, 11:56:39 AM »

Unless you meant they will post the weekend count during the week. They haven't posted Friday, Saturday, or today (Sunday) yet.

uh yeah I think that's what I meant, but like I might be part of the great DFO/FN anti-sportie conspiracy?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #204 on: September 08, 2019, 11:57:35 AM »

Top of the report says it may not be updated daily during mass migration.

the mass migration they are referring to is the huge number of DFO staff fleeing the country for fear of their lives! 8)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #205 on: September 08, 2019, 12:37:05 PM »

Yes I am looking at the PSC hyrdoacoustic pink counts. It looks like they have counted weekends up until now? https://www.psc.org/download/130/frp-data/11861/pink-passage-summary-pdf.pdf

Unless you meant they will post the weekend count during the week. They haven't posted Friday, Saturday, or today (Sunday) yet.

Haha, I mean, I was joking of course but I also wouldn't be surprised these days!  ;D

As someone who have looked at the PSC reports daily for more than the last few years. The counts usually always get updated on tuesday and friday and then sporadically during the week.

Lots jumping at Sandheads yesterday and I release a big 6-7 pound male that put up a great fight.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #206 on: September 08, 2019, 02:24:02 PM »

It's not a conspiracy though, we already know that FN/Comm want fish before sporties, and that the DFO facilitates that want ;D.

they, as in DFO, has to by law.

I meant a conspiracy about the pink numbers not being reported because the run is looking to be larger than expected yet we all know because of the politics mentioned above we won't get a sport opening. My intention was to stir the pot, and it looks like you bit  :D.

Sure thing dude! Lots of people believe anything.

BTW those who say "X" is all politics, engage in politics.

I'm happy the pink run is looking so good... not all doom and gloom!

The pink run is not 'good'. It looks to be well below average. That's not good. Many are just stuck in a gold rush mentality.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 04:12:36 PM by RalphH »

Jk47

« Reply #207 on: September 08, 2019, 03:02:04 PM »

The pink run is not 'good'. It looks to be well below average. That's not good. Many are just stick in a gold rush mentality.
"Like"

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #208 on: September 08, 2019, 03:08:20 PM »

IT is below average but based on past data that i've looked at if we harvested a million pinks this year it won't make a big difference in the returns from two years from now.

The fluctuation in pinks is rather dramatic from what ive seen. 12 million escapement and 16 million return,. 5 million escapement then 22 million return ect... or even vice versa 10 million escarpment at 5 million return. Escapement is after the harvest.

So it sure does look like there is some room to have a few fisheries considering will probably have about 6 million return.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #209 on: September 08, 2019, 04:18:54 PM »

In 5 passionate years you've learned to think and talk like almost everyone else. Way to go!

if we harvested a million pinks this year it won't make a big difference in the returns from two years from now.

true. Escapement and returns in the next cycle don't correlate that well but then 'We' likely won't harvest a million. The Fraser will remain closed until Nov 1st. That won't change.