Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2019  (Read 95294 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Fraser Pinks 2019
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 09:22:27 AM »

Out of all the years I've been flyfishing, I've never flossed a single fish with a fly rod. It's a ridiculous thing to say. Even with a sink tip or a sink line. If by chance you end up lining a good floss depth, the feeling of a thick fly line sliding thru the fishes mouth is enough to spook them. Pinks bite.

Hey! I agree with you! ;D

The information out there for people who want to catch pinks on the fly is really bad. I have observed guides with paying clients who are clearly incompetent (the guides that is). The standard advice to use very hi-density tips is often a recipe to snag both fish and the bottom.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 09:27:24 AM »

I was watching that show fishing on the fly or w/e it was called. They were fly fishing for steelhead on the skeena and catching sockeye after sockeye.

"Sport Fishing on the Fly"

That episode (or episodes) incensed a number of fly anglers. But did you notice how they rigged? Split shot as many as 3 about 3 feet above the fly. Personally I don't know as I have never had the pleasure.

FWIW some anglers claim to regularly catch sockeye in the Skeena while Bar Fishing. The Skeena often has far better clarity than the Fraser in August.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

redside1

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 10:19:39 AM »

You need to include area 12 as well, As pinks can come down ether side of the island and the diversion rate can very year to year.

good call.
The current diversion rate of sockeye on the last DFO update was 90% down through the inside waters. DFO still has a small overall forecast for pinks on the Fraser.

samw

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2019, 10:25:10 AM »

2015 appears to be better than 2019.

The totals in your table shows different.  I'm not saying 2019 is better than 2015, just saying that the table that you are using for the claim doesn't support this.
2019: 27,702
2015: 25,273
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 10:33:54 AM by samw »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2019, 10:28:47 AM »

Aug 9 PSC Weekly Report:

The estimated diversion rate of sockeye salmon through Johnstone Strait has increased since last week to 90%
while the diversion rate of Fraser pink salmon is 25%, based on recent purse seine test fishery catches in the two
approach areas.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 11:40:57 AM »

By next weekend, you should start seeing schools of Pinks at the Summas/Fraser. Guaranteed. I have the past three cycles. Aug 24th last cycle  I have pictures on my phone showing hundreds of Pinks.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2019, 11:48:31 AM »

By next weekend, you should start seeing schools of Pinks at the Summas/Fraser. Guaranteed. I have the past three cycles. Aug 24th last cycle  I have pictures on my phone showing hundreds of Pinks.

I have a photo showing hundreds people congregated under Keith bridge that day:)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2019, 01:17:11 PM »

it can be easy to confuse the two.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2019, 02:41:43 PM »

Had a bit of spare time So here is the comparison from August 1 to 15. Area 20 + 12 combined. By the numbers this year only looks to be slightly better then 2017, anidotically sounds like its better too.  Still early numbers still influenced by other pink stocks.

In river is still early and Data deficient

« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 02:57:52 PM by wildmanyeah »

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2019, 02:52:41 PM »

I assume all the fish caught in the seine are dead, aren't they?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2019, 03:01:50 PM »

I assume all the fish caught in the seine are dead, aren't they?

They get sold to fund the test fishery, But purse seins can have a relatively high release survival rate when fish are sorted over the cork line. When not sorted over the cork line by catch is sorted on a table and then put into revival tanks.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2019, 03:16:08 PM »

From 2017 - DFO Notice August 15:

Areas 12 and 20 purse
seine test fisheries indicate Fraser origin pink salmon comprise 30% and 44%,

---
Today's Notice 2019

Fraser Pink salmon run size and timing estimates are expected to be available
later in August. Stock composition information in the Area 12 and 20 purse
seine test fisheries indicates proportions of Fraser Pinks have increased to
48% and 68% respectively. Non-Fraser Southern BC and Washington State Pink
stocks are making up the balance of the Pink abundance at this time.

There is a higher percentage of Fraser Fish this year compared to 2017.  More Fraser pinks are being caught this year compared to 2017 so far.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2019, 03:23:34 PM »

From 2017 - DFO Notice August 15:

Areas 12 and 20 purse
seine test fisheries indicate Fraser origin pink salmon comprise 30% and 44%,

---
Today's Notice 2019

Fraser Pink salmon run size and timing estimates are expected to be available
later in August. Stock composition information in the Area 12 and 20 purse
seine test fisheries indicates proportions of Fraser Pinks have increased to
48% and 68% respectively. Non-Fraser Southern BC and Washington State Pink
stocks are making up the balance of the Pink abundance at this time.

There is a higher percentage of Fraser Fish this year compared to 2017.  More Fraser pinks are being caught this year compared to 2017 so far.

Love the comparison thanks for sharing! So does that mean fraser pinks are early this year?  does that mean their is more fraser pinks this year? or does it mean there is less pinks from other stocks?

So that data combined with the data I have posted mean that probably this year is a bit better then 2017 for fraser pinks how does it compare to 2015?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 03:25:06 PM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2019, 03:54:55 PM »

from the PSC Weekly Management Report (Aug 16) https://www.psc.org/publications/fraser-panel-in-season-information/fraser-river-panel-weekly-reports/

Pink salmon catches in marine area purse seine test fisheries have increased over the last week and for Area 20 are above the cycle average.

Analyses of recent pink salmon DNA samples collected from the Area 20 test fishery indicate that 68% of the pink salmon encountered are of Fraser
River origin, 21% are from Puget Sound, and 12 % are from South Coast stocks. These Fraser River pink proportions are high in comparison to previous years and highlight the relative strength of Fraser pink returns in comparison to other pink stocks.

Analyses of recent pink salmon DNA samples collected from the Area 20 test fishery indicate that 68% of the pink salmon encountered are of Fraser
River origin, 21% are from Puget Sound, and 12 % are from South Coast stocks. These Fraser River pink proportions are high in comparison to previous years and highlight the relative strength of Fraser pink returns in comparison to other pink stocks.

Currently there is no in season Pinks salmon estimate but the trend is for a return over the cycle average (12.7 million).

Sockeye returns are disastrous. Estimates for the early summer return is below the P10 level. Returns of Summer sockeye have been estimated at 224,000 vs the pre season estimate of 3.9 million

This is shaping up to be the worst sockeye return on record, well below 2016. None of this factors in the effects of the Big Bar Slide which has proven to be impassable to sockeye so far.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2019, 05:17:29 PM »

Love the comparison thanks for sharing! So does that mean fraser pinks are early this year?  does that mean their is more fraser pinks this year? or does it mean there is less pinks from other stocks?

So that data combined with the data I have posted mean that probably this year is a bit better then 2017 for fraser pinks how does it compare to 2015?
The closest comparable to 2015 is this", updated on August 14th 2015.

"although the proportion of Fraser pinks has increased to 55% in Area 20. " 

No percentage was given for area 12 because the numbers to low to calculate it, I assume.

At 68% in area 20 this year, it's higher than the 55% in 2015.  I think the timing of pinks is pretty regular and may be varies by a few days. If the trend continues, it does look decent for Fraser Pinks. They have said there is not enough data yet to come to a reliable conclusion, so we'll have to wait until the data scientists make the call.

Other Pink stocks like the Squamish, don't seem to be getting as many pinks this time around.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 05:19:02 PM by fic »