Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish River - closed to Pinks  (Read 7438 times)

c-pin

Squamish River - closed to Pinks
« on: August 13, 2019, 05:55:52 PM »

Category(s):
    RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0785-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Pink - Region 2 - Squamish - Closure effective August 13, 2019

In-season indicators of low Squamish Pink returns to date do not support a
retention fishery at this time.  This measure is being put into place to
protect pink salmon during the spawning period.

Waters:  Squamish River and tributaries

Management measures: 
Effective August 13, 2019 until December 31, 2019:
- You may not retain pink salmon.

Variation Order numbers: 2019-RCT-429, 2019-RFQ-430

Notes:

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal waters of British
Columbia. 

The term "marked" means a hatchery fish that has a healed scar in place of the
adipose fin.

Anglers are advised to check http://bcsportfishguide.ca for fishing closures
and other recreational fishing information.

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation?  If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336 or the British Columbia’s toll-free RAPP line (Report All
Poachers and Polluters) at 1-877-952-RAPP (7277).

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at
1-(866)431-FISH (3474).

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Barbara Mueller, Resource Manager (Fraser River) – Delta (604)666-2370

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0785
Sent August 13, 2019 at 17:25
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

If you would like to unsubscribe, please submit your request at: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=manage_subscription

If you have any questions, please contact us via e-mail to: DFO.OpsCentreFisheryPacific-CentreOpsPechePacifique.MPO@canada.ca

Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish River - closed to Pinks
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 08:31:47 AM »

The whole salmon fishery has become a cupcakes show

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 11:10:41 AM »

Like I said on another forum, how is it possible to close the Squamish for retention while allowing the carnage of 4 pinks per day in the chuck? They are the same fish!
Some people are bagging their limit of four every day on Furry Creek and elsewhere in Howe Sound like there's no tomorrow.
I say close it for retention completely if you really want to protect the run.

Tangles

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 02:13:19 AM »

What limits at Furry are you talking about? You must be dreaming because I never saw anything like that this year.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 08:45:41 PM »

What limits at Furry are you talking about? You must be dreaming because I never saw anything like that this year.

Something like this: https://photos.app.goo.gl/V2Pz949x7JnHCqA8A

There's a few guys I know that hang out there pretty much every day. They know the tides and the fish movement inside out. More often than not, they take their limit home.

Animal Chin

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 10:14:31 PM »

Not sure where in Furry they're fishing.. but there's been little of that on the half that i can see.. it's been a very poor year, like 2017.

Tangles

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 10:19:52 AM »

Something like this: https://photos.app.goo.gl/V2Pz949x7JnHCqA8A

There's a few guys I know that hang out there pretty much every day. They know the tides and the fish movement inside out. More often than not, they take their limit home.
Well, if eight fish were taken in a day that must be something.
I put a good effort this year but unfortunately it felt like 2017 all over again. Never saw anyone taking a limit. Actually even worse because I took 6 fish in 2017 and nothing this year.
Even seal sightings were rare, handfull of fiishermen, very few boats as well and most just cruising by not stopping.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 01:52:12 PM »

Well, if eight fish were taken in a day that must be something.
I put a good effort this year but unfortunately it felt like 2017 all over again. Never saw anyone taking a limit. Actually even worse because I took 6 fish in 2017 and nothing this year.
Even seal sightings were rare, handfull of fiishermen, very few boats as well and most just cruising by not stopping.

I believe you, and it's been my impression, too. However, these guys have been fishing the coast before and after Furry Creek and limiting out almost every time they fish. They just know the spots where the fish are staging...most people concentrate on the townhouse area and the beach south of the island, but there are many other spots to fish nearby.

On a side note, the numbers on the Squamish seem to have improved somewhat in the last few days. Hopefully, the numbers will be strong enough to spawn a great return two years from now.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 07:40:30 PM »

There are around 60+ fisherman Sunday morning, down to 6 in the afternoon. For sure the fishing was not hot. But compared with the hundreds all day long when retention allowed, I felt sad to see so less passionate anglers but so many meat hunters.

243Pete

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 11:51:29 PM »

There are around 60+ fisherman Sunday morning, down to 6 in the afternoon. For sure the fishing was not hot. But compared with the hundreds all day long when retention allowed, I felt sad to see so less passionate anglers but so many meat hunters.

Well I don't know what is worse, the fact the meat harvesters who only go to collect one fish cause it's the only place they can get a fish or the people who go there for sport and drag pinks 10+ feet up onto the rocks.
Yesterday I talked with some people to keep their fish in the water (Monday me and a couple buddies had to yell at another guy to release his fish cause he did whacked it with a rock despite there being notices posted at the gates that retention is closed.) cause I kept watching people drag fish high and dry which just comes down to poor ethics and handling, for an unexperienced angler I can understand but watching experienced anglers do this it's rather sad.
A good video to follow on how to release fish without having to drag them onto shore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D7oL6QEuRY

I'll just add that dragging a fish onto shore especially with large rocks is very bad for a fish not just cause externally it rubs off the slime but with the thrashing around it can cause internal damage to the organs and head that won't be obvious at first but will kill it shortly there after.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 10:07:36 AM »

Or you can look at it from a different perspective? Perhaps most people have chosen not to catch and release fish repeatedly when stocks are low and their way of being ethical is to only fish when you can keep a fish?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 10:28:59 AM »

Or you can look at it from a different perspective? Perhaps most people have chosen not to catch and release fish repeatedly when stocks are low and their way of being ethical is to only fish when you can keep a fish?

Bingo

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 10:38:56 AM »

It would be nice to see some ethically sensible practices around catch and release as well. In some jurisdictions anglers have to quite fishing after either a) harvesting a limit or b) landing and releasing a specified number fish.

I almost wrote 'kiliing' rather than harvesting in the a) segment above. Even when fish are released or even not caught but lost or escape, some % of those fish will die. At some point hooking and releasing some # of fish is counter productive; it doesn't meet the original rational for catch and release and is just an excuse to keep fishing after one should have stopped.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 11:15:56 AM »

Yep. Good catch and release practices, this includes limit the number of fish you catch and release, should be emphasized. Not sure how a limit on the number of caught and released fish can be enforced, but I would love to see a guideline that encourages anglers to voluntarily do so, and bring in the no fishing after you retain your fish regulation for salmon as well.

In Yukon, a daily limit of five has been implemented for one of the catch and release fisheries recently. We learned about it while up there and I thought it was quite interesting.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 11:52:32 AM »

If that is the case, then no need to close  rivers to protect low stock. simply put  catch and release rules and all the fishing pressure will gone.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 11:55:27 AM by psd1179 »