Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One rod to rule them all...  (Read 5764 times)

psd1179

• Old Timer
Re: One rod to rule them all...
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2019, 07:27:32 PM »

Rod is nothing, To catch salmon, roe is the key.

Shinny

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2019, 07:32:22 PM »

Rod is nothing, To catch salmon, roe is the key.

I disagree. Roe is good but not the end all be all. Maybe Rod will chime in. He uses hardware alot and also does well with coho. I've gone in behind a lineup of guys chucking roe and picked up a coho on hardware... What a feeling. For springs.. Ya roe is probably better than metal but I found a bit of green with pink and peach wool also works good. Fish key in on one of those colors and ignore the rest. To each thier own. Everyone is entitled to an opionon and that's what makes this forum interesting.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 09:20:27 AM »

What Shinny said.

When starting out, I wouldn't go straight to float fishing with roe. It's messy, there is a fairly steep learning curve on the setup.

If I really want to catch pink, coho... I'd just go down to the river with a 9' spinning rod, one that is rated 6 to 10lb, Shimano 2500 size spinning reel spooled with 15lb test braid and 12lb flurocarbon, a box of 1/4oz Gibbs Croc spoons and #35 Koho spoons, hop from run to run making a couple dozen casts in each.

Just another month away, can't wait! :D

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 11:11:21 AM »

What Shinny said.

When starting out, I wouldn't go straight to float fishing with roe. It's messy, there is a fairly steep learning curve on the setup.

If I really want to catch pink, coho... I'd just go down to the river with a 9' spinning rod, one that is rated 6 to 10lb, Shimano 2500 size spinning reel spooled with 15lb test braid and 12lb flurocarbon, a box of 1/4oz Gibbs Croc spoons and #35 Koho spoons, hop from run to run making a couple dozen casts in each.

Just another month away, can't wait! :D

I have tried spoons in my first year learning fishing. Very frustrated.
Once I started using roe , the salmon catching rate exponentially increased. The best catching is 14 chinook in 2hr. I don't think spoons can be that good.

Shinny

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2019, 11:15:18 AM »

Are you sure it wasn't 15 or 16 in two hours? A fish every 8 minutes. Just incredible!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 11:17:23 AM by Shinny »

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2019, 11:21:06 AM »

Are you sure it wasn't 15 or 16 in two hours? A fish every 8 minutes. Just incredible!

6:30am -8:30am until used up all the bait. of course it won't happen in Vedder.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 11:23:54 AM by psd1179 »

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2019, 02:18:03 PM »

One Rod to rule them all... that would be Chief Commander, Rod Hsu - Ruler of the Fishing Universe.

Too much?

There is no correct answer with so many variables. Everyone feels something different. All I can say with confidence on this topic is that you get what you pay for but most expensive is not always the best.

I used to have the impression that I had to have top end gear - this is not true at all. Lots of fabulous valued gear out there for the budget minded but it does take a little experimentation to learn what works best for you.

You can try find one rod that does it all but with 50 years of fishing, I would never even consider that would be a practical possibility.

banx

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2019, 07:18:01 AM »

I have tried spoons in my first year learning fishing. Very frustrated.
Once I started using roe , the salmon catching rate exponentially increased. The best catching is 14 chinook in 2hr. I don't think spoons can be that good.

you should try the technique again steven.  Now that you have had success swinging a fly, the technique is relatively the same. you want the line to be straight, feel the spoon moving, keep the tip in line with the spoon, a little twitch here and there...... plus the bump on a spoon is waaaaay more fun than watching a float drop.