Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Opst Commando vs Rio single hand Spey...  (Read 10571 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Opst Commando vs Rio single hand Spey...
« on: July 16, 2019, 04:20:16 PM »

Wondering if one is particularly better than the other...

Looking to get a single hand Spey/skagit to add to the roster. They look ery efficient to cast...

Traffic

Re: Opst Commando vs Rio single hand Spey...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 08:56:13 PM »

I am also very interested to know the difference and recommendation.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 09:42:17 AM »

Rio single hand spey line is not very easy to spey cast. But it is good for overhead casting. The running line is too thick for distance.

Commando head is easy to cast. But I don't like the quality

Take a look at SA spey Lite. there are scandi and skagit version. Both are excellent, super easy to cast. I like scandi line for trout application

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 11:20:41 AM »

Hmm, a third option, eh? Are there more to consider?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 09:51:36 AM »

Scientific Anglers Short Belly Taper.

https://www.scientificanglers.com/product/mastery-sbt/

I have one but haven't used it much. I have found it easy to cast - both overhead and roll/spey style. These are weighted about 1 size up for better roll/spey performance. I found using a rod one size higher (ie a #4 line on # 5 rod)  for OH casting gave me the best performance but that is going to depend on your casting style and the rod.

The Airflo 40+ have also been popular for combined roll/spey and OH performance but have relatively long heads - 35 feet+.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 09:53:28 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 02:51:31 PM »

I can't speak for the other lines but I recently purchased a 275g OPST commando head for my 8wt single had rod specifically for the purpose of spey casting (no over hand) on certain rivers.

Fun line that sustained anchor casts extremely well. Definitely think of it as a skagit line for a single hand rod. I have played with the commando heads in the past on switch and short spey rods and did not care for them (to short for my liking) but in my opinion they really excel on a single hand rod for "skagit style" casting.

ps. I am a big fan of OPST's mono lazr running line. I tried it on one of my reels last year and now have three reels spooled with it so far. A bit expensive for mono but works well.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 06:33:15 AM »

Thanks for that.

All the OPST single hand vids make it look very easy to get some distance out of the roll casts. I could use that on the rivers I fish the most.

Do you prefer the lazar line to the integrated running line on the new 'smooth' series?

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 08:51:01 AM »

Mono lazr running line vs integrated totally depends what you plan on using the line for.

For casting and swinging scenarios and some stripping (striping in to the back of the head) the lazr line will shoot line much better and result in greater casting distance.

For scenarios where you will be stripping in as far as possible (from a boat, coho in frog water, etc) integrated is the way to go. Allows you to keep on stripping when a head to mono loop connection is going to hang up in the guides. You will comparatively lose some distance in the cast but make up for it in the stripping ability.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 10:46:20 AM »

Mono lazr running line vs integrated totally depends what you plan on using the line for.

For casting and swinging scenarios and some stripping (striping in to the back of the head) the lazr line will shoot line much better and result in greater casting distance.

For scenarios where you will be stripping in as far as possible (from a boat, coho in frog water, etc) integrated is the way to go. Allows you to keep on stripping when a head to mono loop connection is going to hang up in the guides. You will comparatively lose some distance in the cast but make up for it in the stripping ability.

X2

I have the Commando Head with Lazr line for two switch rods and love it but not the best for stripping in frog water.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 11:27:32 AM »

I'm thinking that ability to strip the head in for beach fishing and the narrower rivers I fish probably outweighs a bit of casting distance. As long as I can roll out 40-50 ft in one go...

John Revolver

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 03:55:39 AM »

I have both the Rio 7wt single hand spey Line and OPST 325GR and 425GR Commando heads.

The Rio single hand spey is much better as an overhead caster. Its my favourite overhead line to use. shoots out real nice but Its awful as a sustained anchor/single handed spey line.

The OPST commando head system is so much better but its important to find the right grain combo to properly load the rod.

For the Price I am not a fan of the lazar line anymore. Im finding that it retains to much memory and tends to tangle up after a few hours of casting.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 08:26:18 AM »

Thanks. Was definitely going to go with the Smooth integrated line...

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2019, 09:02:59 PM »

I went with a 300 grain OPST smooth for an 9' 8wt and have to say I'm pretty impressed overall. Little effort to get 60' between the reel and the fly which for my local river is more than enough. Being able to shoot double the head length or more in a single roll cast keeps the line in the water a lot longer. Now if only I could find some fish...