Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2019 CFL Season  (Read 41935 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
2019 CFL Season
« on: June 15, 2019, 09:01:00 AM »

A new era begins when the Lions open their 2019 season tonight under the leadership of Davone Claybrooks and a new coaching staff. Gone are Wally Buono and fan favourites Travis Lulay, Jonathan Jennings, Manny Arceneaux, Solomon Elimimian and others. Ed Hervey has been busy in off season signing free agents such as Mike Reilly, Sukh Chung, Duron Carter. With all the new faces in the lineup it's going to take a few games for the Lions to jell into a cohesive unit.

arimaBOATER

Re: 2019 CFL Season
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 11:48:17 AM »

So true FA when ya state this is a whole dif. team but thank The Lord they still have Burnham. This guy has such great hands. In a crowd 9/10 times he still gets the ball.
Reilly has great timing on his throws as when the receiver makes his break or moves the ball is there.
Butterflies of excitement for tonight.
Win big & the cheers ...lose big "boo birds"  >:( :(
Bring in those 5 yr old brown paper bags from the Leafs should Lions be a flop.
Can't imagine that happening though.
Lions 1st place "boys" ...Go Lions Go.
& please do not get injured like the Golden State key players Durant / Thompson.
We do not need a repeat of Lulay knee/shoulder...
Wondering if Jennings got picked up?
D Carter should be a great addition.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 12:13:33 PM »

Jennings signed with Ottawa. He's the backup

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 10:05:23 PM »

Not a good way to start the season tonight but I think we have a great QB, we need time for the team to jell with a lot of new players on the roster.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 11:18:11 PM »

Not a good way to start the season tonight but I think we have a great QB, we need time for the team to jell with a lot of new players on the roster.

Concur, it will take time for the time to jell but there are some very encouraging signs

arimaBOATER

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 12:14:26 AM »

Agree with you guys pts.
Lions had lots of passing yds & could of been more as some balls trapped or dropped. Burnham did make good catches but could not make catches on a few he normally would of had.
Bombers & Stamps throw down field but they also throw it to a RB coming out after receivers run down field. They also get yds on the run.
Lions were just throw throw throw...so the defence has an easy time of it knowing what's coming up.
Bombers on the other hand had the Lion defence guessing " what next? "
Pass short / long ,swing pass to Harris, hand off the Harris on a draw... Running play....
Lions gotta mix it up a bit on offence...
Once Lions had guys bumping into each other running across the field.
Another play both teams had too many men.
A few things to iron out but think they will become a well oiled football machine. At least I hope so.
Lions in Edmonton next Friday. Oh does the Esks want to show Reilly they are still a winning team without him?
They got a W in their 1st game.
Stamps lose a close one in the end OUCH !!!   

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 12:35:54 AM »

Lions need to improve their pass rush and stop the run. They need to establish the run. Castillo's punting needs to drastically improve.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 01:57:48 PM »

Lions need to improve their pass rush and stop the run. They need to establish the run. Castillo's punting needs to drastically improve.
Gee thought the 2018 Lions had those problems too.
And it's 2019 & same problems ...imagine that.
Maybe Lions D has to stick to zone D on 90% of the plays.

There was only 18,000 plus...in attendance for the home opener.
Media was negative on this...well sporting fans have been watching so much NBA & NHL playoff finals the same week plus the game is live locally on TSN.
Honestly if I were a season ticket holder or went to buy tickets for the game, I'd want there be a black out on tv for 80 miles at least. People willing to spend $$$ should get exclusive viewing. Win or lose.
Those at home watching the Lions lose are thinking "Glad I did not go to this game...what a downer"
Saved my bucks & sad times driving home.
The freebies like me who watch the game on the boob tube will never pay out the $$$ to travel there & back...parking gas time snacks...pi on that.
In the least have a black out on the local tv on the live game but replay later at 12 midnight.
FA & who ever on FWR who go to the game should see the game & freebies like me should only hear the game on radio.
EDIT IN: black out will increase the attendance.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 02:00:02 PM by A-BOATER »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 02:45:44 PM »

I agree with blackouts. Time to bring it back.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 08:03:59 PM »

I agree with blackouts. Time to bring it back.
Should this idea gain popularity like a spark started a large forrest fire ...& blackouts happen again the freebie watchers are going to want to hang me from the tallest tree.
 ;D
Let's go all the way....black out across Canada on Grey Cup game. Only those in the stadium see the championship.
"No no please let me go....help...."
Tell ya one thing I'll be watching the Lions vs Esks on Friday on the boob tube. Alberta game location.
Go BC Lions Go ! Go BC Lions Go !

arimaBOATER

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 09:17:32 PM »

BC Lions visit Edmonton tsn Friday night game.
Lions looked great in the 1st .....
Esk looked good in the 2nd ...
Half time...
3rd Esk looked great..
4th Esk looked great.
Our O line allowed 7 sacks.
Mind you Reilly should roll out of the pocket to escape the pressure when they send the house.
Plus draw plays...swing pass.
Esk send the house & Reilly again sits in the pocket & has his receivers run long plays ...time to develop.
Lots of feeling in this one. Lots of former team mates.
Crazy as it was there was lots of time in the 4th for a come back. 2 possession to tie it up.
39-23 ....if Lions get a TD & go for 2 pt it's 39-31. Make the stop & get ball back & get another TD & 2 pts conversion = tie game.
Lions gotta get it together quick.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 09:27:09 PM »

No protection from the offensive line for #13, lucky he did not get injured. Lots of work on this before the next game.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 09:56:17 PM by chris gadsden »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 09:44:16 PM »

What protection ? It was pathetic. Going to get worse next week. They play Calgary.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 09:57:44 PM »

What protection ? It was pathetic. Going to get worse next week. They play Calgary.
You better get another meeting with the new coach like you did to help Wally out a few years ago.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2019, 10:30:38 PM »

You better get another meeting with the new coach like you did to help Wally out a few years ago.

Might not be a bad idea Chris.