Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tinny for two...  (Read 6415 times)

Old Blue

Re: Tinny for two...
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2019, 09:41:04 AM »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2019, 10:29:55 AM »

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2019, 12:32:17 PM »

--friend has an ungava great boat, good freeboard and stable. not sure what this one is like inside but his has the split bench at the back which allows you to stand and cast close to the motor also easy to move stuff around.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2019, 01:52:43 PM »

That does look nice!

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2019, 08:33:58 AM »

The Ungavas are NICE vhull boats. Expensive. I think just the boat new is pushing 3 grand. I think one like in the add or similar would be great. That 9.9 would push it along great in lakes and river water with very little current (Vedder canal and similar). I would NOT be taking it out in the main flow of the Fraser. Likely not enough power to go upstream. I recall last year sockeye fishing saw a LOT of people out in little 12 foot boats with a 9.9 or similar for power. Barely enough power to move the boat upstream and boat loaded to the balls and hardly any free-board remaining. I just shook my head - death trap waiting to happen.
I think a combo like the one posted is a great first tin boat. Can sell it whenever you want and lose little if any money. Personally I would not keep that motor if it is a 2-stroke and you plan to troll with it. Too stinky. If you plan to just zip around and not troll then 2-stroke is fine

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2019, 02:18:49 PM »

I've got an electric trolling motor, not sure what strength but I assume it would still push around a tinny on a lake in good weather?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2019, 02:41:11 PM »

--even the smallest electric should push this ok in good weather.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2019, 05:26:01 PM »

I've got an electric trolling motor, not sure what strength but I assume it would still push around a tinny on a lake in good weather?

The motor is likely fine, it the battery you need to be careful of. If in doubt, recycle it and buy a new one. Obviously you will also need a charger to charge it back up after a day's fishing. the Napa deep cycle battery I have is good for a day's fishing (trolling). However you need to be careful going too far down a lake. If a strong head wind picks up you will be lucky if that electric will move your boat into the wind at all at max throttle.

How I roll most of the time is I use our electric only on small lakes. Usually these lakes are too small for the wind to pick up, and if something does "happen" (battery dies) at least you will not have to row crazy far. On bigger lakes I have an 8hp 4stroke outboard that I take and leave the electric at home.

I would recommend carrying OARS not just paddles, especially if you are using an electric motor. If you end up having to manually propel your watercraft the oars will help you cover water in a reasonable time. Paddles are better than nothing but it will be slow going.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2019, 06:07:30 PM »

Good tips! My battery is brands new, used only once and promptly recharged...

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2019, 08:03:52 AM »

I just leave my deep cycle trolling battery on a trickle charger when not in use, I think it's 0.75 amps. It's "smart" (pretty much all modern ones are) and it will kick off when the battery is charged, then when the charge drops below fully charged it will kick back on. If you don't have one like this I'd get one, only about 50 bucks at Crappy Tire or similar store/online.

Battery should be good for about 5 years. After that just recycle and get a new one. I tried to push it with my last deep cycle and kept using it past 5 years. One day I was only about 2 hours into trolling a small interior lake when the battery abruptly died. I had oars but it still took me about an hour to row to shore as a head wind has picked up. Lesson learned, don't try to push your deep cycle battery for too long. It's not like a car battery that you can just jump start and it'll get you through the day. If your d/c battery croaks you are SOL for the day. If you are out camping and have no way to recharge it with 110v power then buy a solar trickle charger. Spend a bit more $ and get one that'll charge the battery in decent time. Just leave it on the battery in the boat (I'm told it's fine to have it on the battery while discharging it when fishing) and point it right at the sun as much as possible. Should keep your battery topped up enough to fish for multiple days. When you get home toss it on the plug in charger.

Also while on the water you need a way to check your battery and make sure it has decent juice. If your motor is not too old it should have a battery tester button on it. On my Minn Kota there is a button on top by the throttle. Quick and easy to check what % the battery is at.

Last thought: I'd wait for a nice set up that has most of what you want. Seats, rod holders, and so on. This stuff is EXPENSIVE to buy new if you buy decent stuff. If the previous owner already bought all this stuff yes it will cost more than one that is bare bones, but not too much more, and it'll save you having to buy it all and install it on the boat. To put it in perspective on my new 12 foot boat I bought last year the seat mounts, seats, rod holders, oar locks, and oars ran me about $750 and I had to install it all myself. I added basic (hand crank) Scotty downriggers and a few cannon balls and that was another $400. Pay a bit more purchase price and find a guy that has already bought and installed all this gear.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2019, 04:26:09 PM »

Have the smart charger already, bought it with the battery. My motor predates any onboard tester by a good few years I reckon, can't even get a manual for it, lol!

Good thoughts about the package deal, that's what I've been looking for. Seen some real good deals but I must make myself wait til next year...

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2019, 09:01:14 AM »

Haha right on. Just a thought...the new Minn Kota with "maximizer" technology get a lot more run time/hours out of a battery. I can't tell you how the technology works, but I am told they use a lot less "juice" than a normal electric motor. If you are going to go all electric then you may want to consider upgrading your motor. Just something to think about. However, if your current set up works for you and you have confidence that it will not leave you stranded then by all means stick with it.
I personally would aim at having both gas and electric. Gas for bigger lakes where you want to venture further away from shore than you would comfortably with your electric. If a head wind picks up you'll have enough power to get back to the launch. Electric motor for small lakes especially those that are electric only. I have tried running both motors on my transom. Personally I find it too much of a bother having a fuel tank and battery in the boat, and two motors on the transom. I just pick one or the other depending on which lake I'm going to.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 09:05:02 AM by Spawn Sack »

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2019, 11:04:24 AM »

Yeah, electric motors are pretty cheap anyway. But first, the boat!

likely

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2019, 01:35:58 PM »

just bought a lund ssv 14 from quantum marine last year its great got 30 hp on it had in the chuck and many lakes seems to work pretty good electric motor pushs it around not bad