Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Landlocked COHO in a lower mainland lake  (Read 10020 times)

dirtyharry

Landlocked COHO in a lower mainland lake
« on: June 10, 2019, 02:16:59 PM »

Hello all,

I have a curious question. Can land locked salmon survive in a local lower mainland lake?

During that trip, I caught some crappies and bows. And one of the fishes were "extremely" chrome.

I believe it is a landlocked COHO. I am tossing the ball back in the air for experts to share their thoughts.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Byf1-eOBxjQ/?igshid=m59vdi8kwic5

Thanks in advance.

DH

dirtyharry

Re: Landlocked COHO in a lower mainland lake
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 02:18:25 PM »

I will glass container in future for better pictures.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 05:26:44 PM »

Forked tail doesn't look like a Coho to me. Kokanee, maybe?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 08:21:24 AM »

Yes coho can. I doubt that fish is land locked though it could be a fish that has residualized as in it hasn't migrated but remained in the lake.  One lake in the Fraser Valley is known to have a small population of coho that stay in the lake and I have taken such fish that looked like coho to me,  in a couple of others. However they are not common.

It looks to me there is some spots above the lateral line of that fish so I don't think it is a kokanee.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 09:26:16 AM »

Deer lake is so shallow. But land lock coho survive there. They can reach 11 inches

sbc hris

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 12:39:01 PM »

I’ve caught them in that lake before too, and someone in the know did some research and confirmed my thoughts that they are indeed juvenile coho. But I don’t believe they are landlocked. Some years there are a good number of them.

dirtyharry

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 04:56:15 PM »

Thanks for all the replies. I guess a wide mouth Glass jar would be a good tool for pictures.

stsfisher

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 07:57:13 AM »

Thanks for all the replies. I guess a wide mouth Glass jar would be a good tool for pictures.
Probably not a good idea. Enjoy then release if you are unable to identify positively. Ask your local biologists who will tell you what species are in the lake if you can't I.D. or just need to know.

It is unlawful to.
Have any live fish in your possession
in the wild, or move any live fish or
live aquatic invertebrates around the
province or transplant them into any
waters of B.C. Do not keep angled fish
alive in a “livewell” or other device, or on
stringers, and never use live fish as bait
or release your aquarium fish to the wild.
“High-grading” is illegal.

dirtyharry

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 10:52:14 PM »

Probably not a good idea. Enjoy then release if you are unable to identify positively. Ask your local biologists who will tell you what species are in the lake if you can't I.D. or just need to know.

It is unlawful to.
Have any live fish in your possession
in the wild, or move any live fish or
live aquatic invertebrates around the
province or transplant them into any
waters of B.C. Do not keep angled fish
alive in a “livewell” or other device, or on
stringers, and never use live fish as bait
or release your aquarium fish to the wild.
“High-grading” is illegal.

I am very well aware of the law and constantly follow the latest regulations. Thanks again for the reminder. I am sorry that my post made you assume certain things that I don't do.

I hate holding a fish in my hand out of water for more than Few seconds for a picture during my catch and release. I didn't mean holding or moving live fish to a different ecosystem. I don't even have any intention in doing that.

Anyways thanks again for the response. I'm sure it will be helpful for someone who are not aware of that. You have a nice weekend.

stsfisher

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 12:09:56 PM »

I am very well aware of the law and constantly follow the latest regulations. Thanks again for the reminder. I am sorry that my post made you assume certain things that I don't do.

I hate holding a fish in my hand out of water for more than Few seconds for a picture during my catch and release. I didn't mean holding or moving live fish to a different ecosystem. I don't even have any intention in doing that.

Anyways thanks again for the response. I'm sure it will be helpful for someone who are not aware of that. You have a nice weekend.

Wasn't meant to offend, but thank you for the well wishes.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 12:15:18 PM »

Personally, I'm all for a glass viewing box for safe fish handling and photography rather than handling with hands. I see that is being more commonly done now down in Washington.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g60878-d3450611-i74461338-Spot_Tail_Salmon_Guide-Seattle_Washington.html

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 07:20:32 PM »

Though it may contravene the letter of the law, I can't imagine that putting a fish in a glass box momentarily for a photo violates the spirit of the law.

Rod did just that in his stickleback migration video and it made for excellent shots of the fish, while reducing the chances of harming the fish. Seems good  8)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 09:40:01 AM »

I agree and I don't see the use of a glass receptacle for c&r photography as breaking the law, at least in spirit. It's not intended to retain the fish.

The container in Rod's link is commercially available and was included in an article in Fly Fisherman Magazine within the last year. It is also used on studies on skin parasites on sea runs where there is some evidence the incidence of parasites on sea runs has risen dramatically in some areas.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 12:57:57 PM »

Putting your catch into a tank for pics would seem to be a lot better for the fish than what they are put through some of the hero shots you often see.

dirtyharry

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2019, 02:16:24 PM »

Also last night I had a thin 20 incher (bow), she was not very fiesty and had rice like sticky slime stuff sticking to her top fins and tail. Eventhough she was gymnastic throughout the fight she got tired very soon. Felt bad to handle the fish. She swam slowly when I released her.

My friend explained me that she is at the end of her life span. I was relieved that she is not suffering from a disease.

In situations like this a glass jar could have been helpful to observe her carefully. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 02:56:58 PM by dirtyharry »