Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: inflatioble life jacket questions  (Read 4788 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: inflatioble life jacket questions
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 02:45:49 PM »

For years I've had a Mustang inflatable. This past weekend I took it with me to a lake in the interior but worried the cylinder might be way past its best-before date. I'd been on the water maybe 10 minutes and leaned too far, trying to attache a clip to a D-ring -- and over I went. My first thought, as I bobbed in the cold water, was "Man, is this ever embarrassing!" But then I thought: "Idiot, pull the yellow tab." And PFFFT -- it inflated and worked like a charm, giving me plenty of time to compose myself, rescue one of my rod-and-reel outfits (the other one sank to the bottom), and get towed to shore by a kind guy in a real boat with a motor on it. Whatever PFD you want to use, check it out and WEAR IT.

I’m glad this story ended with you alive to talk about it.!Your story is a good reminder that a dunking can happen unexpectedly, to wear your pfd, and in a moment of panic you can forget to pull the tab. Before I go on then water I like to look down for the tab to remind myself where it is and to make sure it’s visible and not tucked up inside. Good idea too to mime pulling the tab so it becomes part of your muscle memory as you might not have the cognitive wherewithall in the moment

GordJ

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 02:55:32 PM »

I’m glad this story ended with you alive to talk about it.!Your story is a good reminder that a dunking can happen unexpectedly, to wear your pfd, and in a moment of panic you can forget to pull the tab. Before I go on then water I like to look down for the tab to remind myself where it is and to make sure it’s visible and not tucked up inside. Good idea too to mime pulling the tab so it becomes part of your muscle memory as you might not have the cognitive wherewithall in the moment
My personal concern is the ease with which one can put the pfd on inside out. This puts the tab on the left hand side where discovery in a panic situation may be compromised. I try to remind everyone (and me) to locate the tab after doing up the buckle.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 05:30:30 PM »

I often found one side flipped inside out. I didn't find mine that easy to put on correctly and had to do it very thoughtfully to avoid that problem.

Must have been 'cus I am such a klutz at most stuff.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.