Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pitt Marsh Access  (Read 3610 times)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Pitt Marsh Access
« on: June 01, 2019, 02:13:22 PM »

Last time I was up at Pitt Marsh was years ago and I remember the shoreline access being quite limited. Now that my buddy has a small jon boat I was thinking about trying to talk him into checking out the area. Question is, can you launch a jon boat and access the big bit of open water in the northeast of the marsh?

There's a boat launch on Rannie Rd that leads to a maze of dubious-looking ditches. I think I remember that the dike starting at the canoe rental place (running northwest to southeast) is an unbroken barrier.

An old post here says that portaging is required.

Is it possible? Is it worth it? I saw a guy in a jon boat in the big open area years ago but maybe he only got the boat there because he had a high tolerance for adventurous portaging.

Someone may helpfully suggest that I go and find out for myself because discovery is half the fun. It's not my boat though, and my buddy has a low tolerance for slogging through nonsense. I've dragged him on enough bushwhacking/wading/prickle fests in the past that he's now (rightfully) skeptical when I propose trips like this :P

Quin

Re: Pitt Marsh Access
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 09:31:38 PM »

Haven't been out there in a while. In years past, there's been issues with water levels, with the marsh being drawn down, through the use of the numerous water control devices that maintain water levels. If it's been drawn down or significantly lowered, access will be difficult to impossible.  The portages on the channel from the rough boat launch were beaver dams, so it depends on how hard working the beavers have been. The portage at the North East corner, to access the northern marsh is up and over the dike, so the weight of the boat will be an issue. The photo doesn't really show the amount of water that's available to explore, lots of channels, and even open water. Had a lot a fun exploring, long ago, during my duck hunting days. A scouting trip to the dikes surrounding the marsh would probably help. The observation towers can help. Have fun!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Pitt Marsh Access
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 06:14:46 PM »

I've cycled around the marsh. Most of the shore is difficult to access so I'd guess launching and removing the boat would be difficult. You could certainly wheel a small boat around to a spot if you have a suitable contraption. I did see a guy in a small kayak out there. Bass are caught is those ditches. I have see the odd watercraft in them and photos of some sizable bass. Some of the sloughs immediately south are sizable and look worth fishing.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.