Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: inflatioble life jacket questions  (Read 4697 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
inflatioble life jacket questions
« on: May 26, 2019, 04:57:49 PM »

First it was our own Rodney that I saw wearing them.    They are a lot smaller than the foam filled ones we have all been using for years. 
I saw these CO2 filled rings people were wearing around necks and thought... wow this will be a lot more comphy.

Now to be fully honest... I cant swim.   I have tried to learn and I sink.   I can doggy paddle in a pinch for about 5 feet...

I went to go look at these and they have a minimum weight on them.   I am not worried about a minimum weight but rather the max.   I bought a plus sized cabellas jacket a while back and it will work fine.  I tested it in a pool and I didn't sink..

How much weight can these inflatable jackets carry.  How long do they stay inflated...

anyone have any recommendations.. Ihave a lake trip coming up and want to be safe..
see ya on the river

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: inflatioble life jacket questions
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 05:20:59 PM »

I was poking around online after reading your question and found this page:

https://airkayaks.wordpress.com/2016/02/06/understanding-buoyancy-ratings-for-a-personal-flotation-device-pfd-life-vest/

"Inflatable PFDs: These rely on inflatable chambers that provide buoyancy when inflated by a C02 cylinder. Uninflated, they are less bulky than foam jackets. Please note: these must be regularly inspected and re-armed. Not for non-swimmers or for long hours in rough water. While some are automatic, most of these must be physically inflated, meaning, you need to be cognizant to orally inflate, or pull the inflation cord. Manual inflatable PFDs are not a great choice for situations when you might be hit by something. Varying minimum buoyancy 22 to 33 lbs inflated dependent on device."

Also https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/marine/getting-started-safe-boating/choosing-lifejackets-personal-flotation-devices.html

"The inflation time is relatively short but still could be difficult for a weak swimmer. All Canadian-approved inflatable PFDs have an oral inflation tube in case the CO2 inflation mechanism fails. If you are struggling to stay afloat, using this tube could be challenging."

At the end of the day, if you rely on an inflatable vest and the inflation mechanism malfunctions, then you could drown. I'd recommend sticking with a foam PFD based on your swimming level. https://www.cabelas.com/product/FULL-MOTION-PFD/2419420.uts?slotId=2

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 06:53:17 AM »

I have a Mustang inflatable with pull toggle inflate and I think it also has a tube for blow inflation should the cartridge fail. A couple years a go I bought a vest kayak style foam vest and now don't use the inflatable. For the most part the foam vest is more comfortable and easier to get on and off.

If you can't swim and are a 'sinker' I'd say don't rely on a pull tab inflatable when you are in a boat or other water craft. Overall I wouldn't rely on an inflatable period because the cartridge may not work. Once you are in the water, you will need something that works immediately

I hoped the inflatable would be something I'd wear when wading but found that not to be the case. It was a waste of money as it didn't suit me at all.

YMMV. The same for others.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 08:38:51 AM »

--I use  floater suit, vest style life jacket and an inflatable... no not at the same time ;)  Cold weather, water, and ice-fishing, I use the floater suit. When in higher speed transit or leaning over to lift up the trolling motor, I use the vest style. When not in use I have it strapped to the boat seat. I used to use the inflatable most of the time...but it was the manual type and not the auto inflate. Thus I would use the standard jacket when I was in a higher risk of having to use one.
--My recommendation would be, if you are only going to get one, that it be the auto inflatable. The reason being that it has a collar so will float you onto your back if you get a conk on the head or need some time to recover the shock of hitting cold water. Make sure you wear it...that is the main thing, lots of people fall in loading or unloading a boat. The only time I used the manual blow up was to cross a stream so I could deflate on the other side and still have the auto fire function available.
--None are of much use, if you don't wear it...and yes let your friends know that you cannot swim. When I am fishing with someone who cannot swim...I also wear my lifejacket in case I have to help out the person and I make use I have throw line etc. handy so that we would be able to help each other if needed. Be prepared and the accident likely won't happen.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 10:39:48 AM »

I wrote this yesterday, and then didn't post cause I don't wish to offend, but...consider investing in swimming lessons. There are a lot of places that will speed you to at least floating competency and they will be happy to do so. Now is the perfect time.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 10:45:53 AM »

Just wondering how long those inflatable CO2 cartridges will be good for. Is there an expiry date which would make your PFD unsafe?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 10:53:32 AM »

I wrote this yesterday, and then didn't post cause I don't wish to offend, but...consider investing in swimming lessons. There are a lot of places that will speed you to at least floating competency and they will be happy to do so. Now is the perfect time.

just want to mention that there is some % of people who can't float no matter what training they take. These folks can be taught to swim however though teaching them is more difficult as is learning to swim.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 11:19:47 AM »

Just wondering how long those inflatable CO2 cartridges will be good for. Is there an expiry date which would make your PFD unsafe?

5 years

fisherforever

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 12:26:14 PM »

Just a FYI about using inflatable vests. You must be wearing them while on the water, you can be fined for not wearing them if you are checked by CO’s unlike the regular foam type

santefe

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 03:19:09 PM »

I just checked my inflatable vest and there wasn't an expiry date on the cartridge.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 05:29:22 PM »

I just checked my inflatable vest and there wasn't an expiry date on the cartridge.

What kind is it and where did you purchase it?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 05:51:39 PM »

5 years

There is no expiry on the cartridge of the manual inflate.

The 5 years you refer to is on the auto inflate. Those need to be serviced ever 5 years at a cost of approx $80.

That applies to Mustang vests.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 08:35:14 PM »

...but they do recommend yearly testing - inflate the vest and leave for 2 hours.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 08:40:04 PM »

Yes they do recommend that in the manual. Inflate orally using the tube.

rheticus

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 05:27:15 PM »

For years I've had a Mustang inflatable. This past weekend I took it with me to a lake in the interior but worried the cylinder might be way past its best-before date. I'd been on the water maybe 10 minutes and leaned too far, trying to attache a clip to a D-ring -- and over I went. My first thought, as I bobbed in the cold water, was "Man, is this ever embarrassing!" But then I thought: "Idiot, pull the yellow tab." And PFFFT -- it inflated and worked like a charm, giving me plenty of time to compose myself, rescue one of my rod-and-reel outfits (the other one sank to the bottom), and get towed to shore by a kind guy in a real boat with a motor on it. Whatever PFD you want to use, check it out and WEAR IT.