Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Chinook Production In The Chilliwack River Hatchery for Orcas  (Read 5897 times)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: More Chinook Production In The Chilliwack River Hatchery for Orcas
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2019, 04:53:41 PM »

I'm not saying they shouldn't care about the whales....but why is ok to not care about the salmon?

Species that are recognizable by the non-fishing public get more protection. It's why white sturgeon get more attention than nooksack dace :P

Robert_G

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2019, 06:48:02 PM »

As far as 'caring' about salmon as much as SRKW, DFO enhancement project release hundreds of millions of young salmon every year. Isn't that caring enough?

I see Ralph still lives in a fantasy land far far away from reality.
Also....if you read the post....I said 'government', not 'DFO', not that there is much of a difference anyway.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2019, 07:39:45 PM »

You ever checked out the numbers? It surprised me and I am not surprised you think it's a spoof. However it is real.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Robert_G

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2019, 09:28:06 PM »

You ever checked out the numbers? It surprised me and I am not surprised you think it's a spoof. However it is real.

I never said I didn't believe the numbers. What I don't believe is that the government cares about the salmon. They don't care....and just because they release hundreds of millions of young salmon each year doesn't mean they care.....if you go back a few decades, those numbers of released young salmon were substantially higher. Hatchery production in BC has faced cut after cut after cut year after year for almost 30 years now....So again....the government doesn't care about the salmon.

At the end of the day, the government sees the Fraser River with 20+ damns producing billions of dollars in hydro electricity. The sooner the salmon are gone, the sooner it happens.....but wait....now we have a whale problem that a larger portion of the public is concerned about. What to do? What to do? But whether we talk about dams, whales, or salmon......the salmon will be at the bottom of the list.....and when or if they do ever concern themselves with salmon.....the sporties are at the bottom of that list....so for us guys who like to bring home a salmon for dinner here and there.....the future is very bleak.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 09:30:27 PM by Robert_G »

Old Blue

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2019, 10:58:02 AM »

The real story in all of this is that they don't give 2 f@#s about the endangered Fraser runs just about the cuddly whales for tourists to see (even up closer if you have the right license)

Just garbage lip service with no management plan.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2019, 04:24:25 PM »

Chinook production is going to be increased for 5 years!???   These are whales, not rabbits.  If it successful, the population might increase by two.   Any serious program for the whales will need to have a 50 year outlook.