Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestions for Trout Rivers/Streams  (Read 4637 times)

Bryth

Suggestions for Trout Rivers/Streams
« on: April 02, 2019, 02:07:45 PM »

Hey,
Im newly moved to North Van and looking for some suggestions for streams and rivers. Ive mostly fished for trout in Alberta and the Interior/Crowsnest area and Im having some trouble getting going here. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Bryth

Re: Suggestions for Trout Rivers/Streams
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 04:56:02 PM »

I should add that Im not looking for anyones hot spots... just some general knowledge spots to get started.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 09:42:37 PM »

As a local angler I would suggest you try your luck at steelhead over the next few weeks. The storm that is expected should bump the rivers and push some fresh fish. They can be caught on many of the local rivers. Just make sure you check the regulations because all the rivers have different regs. When the water comes up it also pushes other species such as cutthroat and bull trout into the rivers as well.

I would suggest exploring the capalino since you are located in north van. Just be careful because this river can fluctuate in level quickly do to the dam. A trip to the squamish area could be worth a drive as well. The Vedder could fish well in the next few days. Even a drive to the harrison river to target cutthroat or explorer the stave river for trout. Really this time of year you cant go wrong. Do a little exploring and you will be rewarded.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 09:09:54 AM »

I would say Stave River a good one to try out during this time of the year for cutthroat trout and whitefish. Once summer comes around a few other opportunities become available like the Skagit and Cheakamus.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 09:23:08 AM »

we don't have stream fisheries like the Bow, Crowsnest etc. The Skagit is the closest thing to it but it's a long drive from North Van. The Squamish has some good opportunities for Bull trout now. Some salmon in the fall but salmon runs have been in bad shape lately. Up past Whistler is the Birkenhead with some pretty good trout fishing at times.

Beach fishing for salmon and even sea run cutthroat trout is popular on the North Shore and some parts of Howe Sound. Taking a ferry trip over to Langdale provides access to more beach opportunities as well as some decent lake fishing in spring and fall.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

redside1

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 10:29:40 AM »

living in North Vancouver, you should take a little time and go to Highwater Tackle on Lonsdale and pick a few brains there. Between Dave, Gill & Matt you should find a spot or two to fish. You may also want to check out local beaches for Cutthroat and soon enough coho

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 10:34:25 AM »

Welcome to BC, Bryant! I too am a transplant from another Province, although many, many years ago, and yes, it does take time to adapt to your new home waters.

The Pacific Ocean dominates the local fishery: heavy rain, tides, sea run fish, and freshet caused by snow melt (which you would be familiar with!)   

Generally, you won’t find the small to medium size stream fishery for native trout/char, that you are used to, close to North Vancouver. Most of the local trout/char fisheries are dominated by anadromous (sea run), or highly migratory fish, the timing of which is usually strongly linked to the fall Pacific salmon spawn.   Many of these trout/char will feed on salmon eggs and decaying salmon flesh during/post spawn, then on the emerging fry in the spring.

The Lower Mainland fishery that most closely approximates what you are familiar with would be the Skagit River.

Previous posters have mentioned other fisheries and locations, and also lake and beach fishing.  To fully take advantage of local fisheries, you will find that you will need to adapt from what you are used to.   

John Revolver

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 11:42:58 AM »

Welcome to BC! Deff take a stop in highwater tackle if you are based in NV.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 12:28:26 PM »

Welcome to BC! Deff take a stop in highwater tackle if you are based in NV.

Yep, and talk to Gill because she's very into the trout fisheries around here.

flyrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 05:16:31 PM »

With this rain coming in, I would head for the Chehalis River as there are some steelhead and cutthroat trout in it. Salmon Fry imitations are the fly of choice right now. Plus the TNT fly that is designed by Todd Oishi can be magical.   

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 10:19:05 PM »

With this rain coming in, I would head for the Chehalis River as there are some steelhead and cutthroat trout in it. Salmon Fry imitations are the fly of choice right now. Plus the TNT fly that is designed by Todd Oishi can be magical.

Theres no fish left in the Chehalis. Not worth the trip. Lots of bushwacking and hard hikes. The best bet would be to stick to the Vedder

John Revolver

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 10:28:15 PM »

Theres no fish left in the Chehalis. Not worth the trip. Lots of bushwacking and hard hikes. The best bet would be to stick to the Vedder

Agreed. Chehalis is just not worth the effort anymore. Tragic as that was the stream I grew up fishing and camping on :( :(