Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another CHEK Poll  (Read 5860 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Another CHEK Poll
« on: March 07, 2019, 02:05:30 PM »

Regarding a potential seal / sea lion harvest.

Except they prefer to use the much more sensationalist term "cull" rather than "science based & monitored harvest".
I sent them a correcting letter, and will let you know if they bother to respond...

In the meantime Folks, please vote:
https://www.cheknews.ca/chek-point-poll-should-there-be-a-cull-of-california-sea-lions-off-vancouver-island-541176/

Cheers & Thanks!   ;)
Nog

Fatso

Re: Another CHEK Poll
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 05:24:51 PM »

I thought you said in another thread that the cull was already underway???

The program is already underway.
And, there has been no hiding of it.
Both regular media and online have
reported on the Society and what they
are up to repeatedly.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 09:31:33 AM »

How about:

Let's blow them away with dynamite and giggle while they suffer!

https://globalnews.ca/news/5031554/seal-bomb-video/
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 09:58:11 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 09:57:17 AM »

I thought you said in another thread that the cull was already underway???

The collection of first set of samples for contaminant analysis was what I was referring to.
And yes, that is underway.

Let's blow them away with dynamite and giggle while they suffer!

How about: One should ensure they know what they are talking about before doing so.

What the fellow tossed at that herd of sea lions was a seal bomb. These were issued by DFO back in the day, and recognized as a non-lethal deterrent to encourage seals / sea lions to leave fishing equipment alone. Old news. Might have been the odd hurting ear, but certainly not what you are suggesting. Methinks if you spent any time near the ocean or commercial fishing activities you would have known that. Then again, maybe you did and are simply stirring the pot?

Cheers,
Nog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 10:01:12 AM »

there is no such thing as a 'seal bomb'. It was a bear banger.

The comment is really no different than your politically correct turnabout "science based & monitored harvest". You and others have been churning gravel in your mouths about culls and returning seals and sea lions to 'historical numbers', when what's really referred to is a historical nadir.

... besides it was tongue in cheek.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 10:09:45 AM »

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 10:32:03 AM »

Fatso

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 11:38:03 AM »

.....its ok, even the hero gets a cracker where the sun doesnt shine. 😎

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 01:03:23 PM »

is it made of seals? Does extra old cheddar compliment the flavour of the cracker?

As for the harm seal crackers or bear bangers (what was used in the video) if you pay attention to 1:19 on a veterinarian describes injuries to seals and sea lions he has treated that he attributes to their use.

Here's the link again: https://globalnews.ca/news/5031554/seal-bomb-video/

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 01:15:42 PM by RalphH »

GordJ

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 02:16:18 PM »

Because I’m no fan of the herring roe fishery I have to ask “Why is it okay to harass seals but not deer or fish?”  If my dog chases spawning salmon in a creek I’m vilified for harassing the fish and if I ride a moose in a lake I’m charged but it’s okay for commercial fishermen to chase seals with noisemakers? Is there a separate law for those with a commercial licence? And I know that those fishermen are just trying to earn a living but I’m surprised that they’re allowed to do it.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 02:41:12 PM »

The comment is really no different than your politically correct turnabout "science based & monitored harvest". You and others have been churning gravel in your mouths about culls and returning seals and sea lions to 'historical numbers', when what's really referred to is a historical nadir.

R salmon at their historic levels?? does it make sense to keep predator levels at historic levels??  could we be stuck in what they call a predator pitt??  Are herring at historic levels??? whats supporting this predation level?? is stuff under it suffering??

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 03:01:37 PM »

I'm sitting on the boat here in Mission and I'm looking at three seals 20 feet from my boat. I can't speak for the salt but here in the river it does seem like you see more of them year round.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 03:10:58 PM »

I'm sitting on the boat here in Mission and I'm looking at three seals 20 feet from my boat. I can't speak for the salt but here in the river it does seem like you see more of them year round.

one scientist Trites has apparently contributed this to transient whales chasing or displacing them to different location and their for we a seeing more of them in areas and locations we are not used to.

Not my science, not that I agree or Dissagree with it just offering it up

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 03:55:48 PM »

R salmon at their historic levels?? does it make sense to keep predator levels at historic levels??  could we be stuck in what they call a predator pitt??  Are herring at historic levels??? whats supporting this predation level?? is stuff under it suffering??

...more newspeak.

they are obviously being fed by the entire gang of radical enviro-snowflakes.

GordJ

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 04:51:20 PM »

Firstly, you asked about whether or not the the cheddar compliments the cracker but unless the cheese can talk it wont be complimenting anything. When you’re trying to be funny you should make sure that your grammar isn’t the joke.

I don’t see that you corrected your inaccurate post. You should think about admitting that your post is completely wrong. Just saying.
Clearly there are seal bombs and clearly that wasn’t a bear banger in the video. Anyone who has spent any time in the outdoors should know that a device meant to scare away bears wouldn’t require lighting a fuse before throwing it at the animal harassing you. “Just a minute, I have to get my torch out, light the fuse and throw it far enough in front of you so that it goes off before you get to me” doesn’t seem like a practical product. And I’m not sure how the burning fuse would go over in fire season.