Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wanting to buy a used veicle from dealer.  (Read 10889 times)

arimaBOATER

Re: Wanting to buy a used veicle from dealer.
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2019, 01:25:26 AM »

You can check current status (free) of a vehicle from ICBC and order a claims report ($21) here https://onlinebusiness.icbc.com/vdwqs/VDWQSServlet/WelcomeAction

You can check a vin with the insurance bureau of Canada (free) to see if it's been a flood damage write off etc. at http://www.ibc.ca/nl/auto/branding/vin-verify-service

You can search a vin in the police database (CPIC - Canadian Police Information Centre) (free) to see if it's stolen etc at http://app.cpic-cipc.ca/English/searchformvin.cfm

You can search a vin for safety recalls etc at transport Canada (free) http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/menu.aspx?lang=eng&WT.mc_id=rupp
You can double check the USA NHTSA for recalls (free) at https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/
In this day & age with auto theft,accidents,liens,recalls etc..above info links is good.
scouterjames much appreciated.
Imagine with all the flooding caused by hurricanes in southeast states & right now in north states with fast snow melt & flooding rivers how many vehicles were/are flooded.
Looked at a SUV at one dealership 4 yrs old...seen rust. Then found out it was from Ontario driven to BC & traded in I assume. Those 4-5 months of salty roads.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2019, 09:36:02 PM »

Save yourself the hassle and buy new.

Don't listen to this guy. Unless of course, you can afford to buy what you want new, in which case you probably would not have started this post (!)

If I were in the market for a "cheap new car" (Corolla, Civic, etc) ya I might buy new. Still not that expensive of a vehicle, can probably get a decently equipped one for under 30k. But "higher end" vehicles, the rate at which they depreciate is just nuts. I'm not sure about you but I'd rather have 30 grand or more in my pocket and buy something 5ish years old with under 100,000km on it.

Yeah you need to be careful and make sure you are not buying a POS, but that is not that hard to do.

I think a lot of ppl just look at the payments..."yeah $700 a month is not that big of a deal." Well, yeah, I guess not, but when it is finally paid for you still bought a $70,000 vehicle, and by the time it is paid for you can probably sell it for $25K if you looked after it.

I'm a "car guy" but just not willing to flush that much of my hard earned money away. Not to crap on anyone who buys new; if you can comfortably afford it then why the heck not buy new? I just see and know so many ppl driving new "rich man's cars/trucks" who are far from rich, and most of their extra income goes to the payments, insurance and maintenance of their vehicle.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2019, 09:34:01 AM »

Don't listen to this guy. Unless of course, you can afford to buy what you want new, in which case you probably would not have started this post (!)

If I were in the market for a "cheap new car" (Corolla, Civic, etc) ya I might buy new. Still not that expensive of a vehicle, can probably get a decently equipped one for under 30k. But "higher end" vehicles, the rate at which they depreciate is just nuts. I'm not sure about you but I'd rather have 30 grand or more in my pocket and buy something 5ish years old with under 100,000km on it.

Yeah you need to be careful and make sure you are not buying a POS, but that is not that hard to do.

I think a lot of ppl just look at the payments..."yeah $700 a month is not that big of a deal." Well, yeah, I guess not, but when it is finally paid for you still bought a $70,000 vehicle, and by the time it is paid for you can probably sell it for $25K if you looked after it.

I'm a "car guy" but just not willing to flush that much of my hard earned money away. Not to crap on anyone who buys new; if you can comfortably afford it then why the heck not buy new? I just see and know so many ppl driving new "rich man's cars/trucks" who are far from rich, and most of their extra income goes to the payments, insurance and maintenance of their vehicle.
Wow so well said in all these points. SS ya really honestly should write a small handbook. Kinda a guide on buying a used vehicle. I mean you could have 10 chapters at least.
Written with passion.
Fish & Hike ya it's nice buying new but there's that $$$ dif.  ;)

arimaBOATER

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2019, 03:36:40 PM »

First of all I want to thank a Spawn Sack & others who contributed to this trend. Your info was super helpful.
The journey is over.
Not going to give exact details as maybe some of yous will harp & 2nd guess me Ha !
But will say this : am pleased with the deal. Satisfied.
Had to take my wife's liking as she will be the main driver. 95% or more of the time.
If I were the main driver other makes /models would of swayed my decision. Honda Toyota Mazda ...have some nice models.
As we have an Mitsubishi Outlander which the wife drove somewhat ...in snow ,heavy rain, cold, ( all wheel drive helps ) she liked the Lancer.
Lots of the controls are the same like in the Outlander.
The warranty is transferable thus we still have 7 yrs on the power train.
The KMs were so low we still were able to get the added warranty...for $2500 or there abouts.
If we do not use this warranty after the term we can get refunded $2000 !!!
2016 low KMs middle of the line...so ya it's got back up cam. & moonroof ...
The wife is happy so...
Performance car it's not ...great city car for ladies check mark.
$16,000 there abouts / paper work $ & taxes.
Minor accident.
Crazy part seen a even better Lancer 2 days after with only 2500 KMs ...pre own 2017 for 3 grand more at another dealership. Trade in as I guess it was not good in snow...owner got a RVR ( crossover )
That one basically new & 2017 ( instead of 2016 ) for only 3000 more ...tempting.
But if this Lancer gives us the service the Outlander has we are laughing.
Wife really likes the car so that's great.
Had a funny sad feeling letting our Chevy Cavalier go 2001 ...it has been with us since new & only put in water pump, fuel pump & rad. ( rest just normal maintenance. & talk about a super heater. It would just blast out the very hot air like a furnace. Kinda like letting a friend go.
It was still a good car too. But wife is near 60 so wanted to let her drive something more up to date.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2019, 09:06:33 AM »

Good to hear! Sounds like a solid car. With proper maintenance and driving it nicely should be able to get a decade out of it. If you got 18 years out of a Cavalier I'd say to know how to look after a vehicle. Congrats on the new ride!

arimaBOATER

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2019, 12:16:00 PM »

Good to hear! Sounds like a solid car. With proper maintenance and driving it nicely should be able to get a decade out of it. If you got 18 years out of a Cavalier I'd say to know how to look after a vehicle. Congrats on the new ride!
Thank you SS !
Yes that Cavalier still was a great car ...motor trans body ...very dependable. Fired right up at turn of key every time. Bet we could of got another 10 yrs out of it.
But wife is all smiles with the Lancer. Blue tooth power windows locks power adjust side mirrors moonroof open/close,back up camera is neat! Etc...
Very low at front so reminded wife be careful when parking.