Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wanting to buy a used veicle from dealer.  (Read 10856 times)

arimaBOATER

Wanting to buy a used veicle from dealer.
« on: February 24, 2019, 08:55:30 PM »

Thinking of getting an used SUV. Mitubishi or Nissan or ?
Did have GM / Chev makes that were really good. They gave 18 yrs good service with just normal maintenance & only rad,fuel & water pump that needed repair.
But with SUV think a Japanese make would be best.
Hopefully 60-90,000 KM range & hoping to spend $13-$16,000.
Been saving & need to save more but think a cash deal strikes even a better buy.
Is 90,000 Km too high ?
Any other makes as long as it's not made in N America. Hoping to tap into you members info bank.
I tend to keep a vehicle for 15 yrs or more,so guess if it's used maybe will keep about 10 yrs max as KMs are on already. Any ideas would be appreciated.  :) 

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: Wanting to buy a used veicle from dealer.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 09:53:01 PM »

Should probably buy a Lada. Super reliable

SPEYMAN

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 10:22:59 PM »

Look at a Toyota.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 11:28:01 PM »

It ain't the roe bro'

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 11:36:19 PM »

X3

JustPuttsin

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 03:14:07 AM »

Can't go wrong with Toyota. 300k+ not uncommon with them if properly maintained.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 11:03:32 AM »

My 2 cents having bought my fair share of vehicles over the years:

Buying used you will be purchasing wither from a private seller, used car dealer (Joe's Auto Sales, etc), or a dealer (Toyota, etc) from their selection of trade ins. I personally would steer clear of the used car dealers. Not to say that everything they have is junk; however, IMO a lot of them are "shifty."

That being said, private sellers can be shifty too, and in some cases will lie right to your face. Even the dealership may have "accidentally missed" something on their inspection report after the vehicle was traded in.

Bottom line: whatever you are thinking of buying from wherever/whoever, I would strongly suggest taking it to a mechanic ELSEWHERE, preferably a mechanic who you know and trust. Someone who will give the vehicle more than a quick once over. A used vehicle in the 13-16K range with 90,000ish km on it almost certainly needs SOME work. Unless the previous owner stayed on top of every little thing before they sold it. This is unlikely as most people don't sink money into a vehicle they are getting close to getting rid of.

You want to buy a "cherry" used vehicle. The pick of the litter. Something treated well and maintained. Not something that you will have to sink bags of money into, worst case scenario a lemon that the previous owner got rid of.

A few other thoughts:

-Private sale? Hopefully the owner kept maintenance/parts receipts. If yes I would want to look them over. Dealers typically shred these receipts for privacy reasons BUT, if you go to the service counter at the dealer that sells the vehicle (for instance, you are looking at a used Toyota, you can go to any Toyota dealer for this) and give them the VIN #, they can run it. When they do this on their screen will pop up all maintenance that was done on the vehicle at any Toyota dealer, any warranty work, any recalls, and so on. Basically any time the vehicle was in at the dealer for ANYTHING, they will have a record of it. They will not print this record off for you, but they should have no problem showing you the computer screen.

-If the seller has the Carfax/Carproof report for the vehicle, great, give it a good look over for how many ppl have owned the vehicle, accidents, and so on. If it's a private sale and the seller does not have this report I would pay yourself to acquire it.

-Before you pull the pin do a google search on the particular vehicle and read some consumer reports and so on. Make sure this was not a bad year, bad motor, recalls, and so on.

Bottom line, if you put in the effort you can find a great used vehicle in your price range. Your time and a couple hundred bucks for the inspection will be well worth it in the long run. I personally have an affinity for Toyoyas, but I would say buy whatever you want/like, just make sure you are not buying someone else's problem.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 11:11:17 AM by Spawn Sack »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 12:38:07 PM »

Do not think I'll buy a Lada. Are they not only sold in Russia & Eastern Europe ?
YOUs definitely are saying so many positives about Toyota. ( Rav. 4 in my budget. ) This will be a vehicle for the Mrs. so gotta get it right on this buy.

Her driving will test the brakes ...She's a Zig Zag & still going fast even though there's a red light ahead.
Me I get in the flow in traffic & sit back 2-3 car lengths ...I'm relaxed getting to my A-B.
Wife drives like she's being chased by crooks.  ;D
She does not read my posts here at FWR so.... ;D

And then there was Spawn Sack.
Thank you so much for the very many insights. You really covered it all.
Lots I knew about but many did not know. Yes will get it checked out by a private mechanic. ($200 or more I guess $ well spent)
Your post surely will not only help me out in my search but everyone who reads it!
Even Rodney a very intelligent guy I bet is taking notes.

Thank you because this info will make my buying odds of getting more for my buck a reality.
Nothing worst than handing over one's $$$ & then repair this & repair that, every month after the sale.
Only other worst thing can think of is buying into a leaky condo. How many lost big bucks over that.
SS going to get a paper & write down your good ideas in pt. form.
 Thanks to all for your educated thoughts. Toyota sure getting lots of thumbs up.

bsmcrosseyed

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 06:22:31 PM »

First rule in buying any vehicle, never be in a rush! Search online every day until you find one that has all the service records, no accidents and most importantly NO LIEN! Even a Toyota Tacoma could be a piece of junk if it hasn't been maintained properly!

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 06:56:33 PM »

i always look for something used with a year or 2 of FACTORY warranty left ! that way if anything doesn't seem right u can get it fixed!

arimaBOATER

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 07:37:49 PM »

First rule in buying any vehicle, never be in a rush! Search online every day until you find one that has all the service records, no accidents and most importantly NO LIEN! Even a Toyota Tacoma could be a piece of junk if it hasn't been maintained properly!
Yes that's two extra good pts. bsmcrosseyed & rjs. Thanks.
When it comes to buying a place ( house/apt/townhouse ) or buying motor wheels & body ( vehicle ) I get really joyful & excited then suddenly get sheepish & careful careful...leave emotions out of it ...buy with logic.  Donald Trump or Jimmy  Pattison can afford to make a bad deal but not me.
Walking into a dealership & having all those eyes balls with shirts & ties looking at you as ya approach kinda makes ya feel like a zebra crossing a croc infested river !!!
Seen some programs on Marketplace CBC & the smiling lying business people.
Let's face it there is a lot of dishonesty in the marketplace...business world.
Stories like farmers at some market selling produce they bought from warehouse & did not come from their farm at all.  ;D But there are honest dealerships for sure as they get good reviews  & have the BBB sign.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 05:54:05 AM »

Contact Mike Campbell at Carter Lease and let him find you a vehicle.

Many fishermen have been happy with Mikes service.

He has been in the business for 30 plus years.

spoiler

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 10:45:21 AM »

rule #2 never fall in love with a vehicle. As someone mentioned previously, leave emotions out of it.
which is a good rule for any major purchase.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 12:30:18 PM »

rule #2 never fall in love with a vehicle. As someone mentioned previously, leave emotions out of it.
which is a good rule for any major purchase.
Firstly thanks firstlight for recommendation. I'm still in the saving $ time...75% saved up already 25% more to go.
You are so right!
So many go into a car sales. & the salesman shows them the product & the person(s) are saying "Oh I just love this car & it 's the perfect color too"
Even before talking $ Ha!
Sales guy knows he has the advantage.
And let me get into trouble.
The ones that come to mind are some females. ;D
Dealing & wheeling is like a poker game.
Here's a good line. Salesman: this is as low as we can go says my sales manager.
I kinda have a general plan. Whatever the price offer $2000 less anything under $20,000.
$30,000 & less offer $3000 less .. ;D

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 04:34:28 PM »

Do not think I'll buy a Lada. Are they not only sold in Russia & Eastern Europe ?
YOUs definitely are saying so many positives about Toyota. ( Rav. 4 in my budget. ) This will be a vehicle for the Mrs. so gotta get it right on this buy.

Her driving will test the brakes ...She's a Zig Zag & still going fast even though there's a red light ahead.
Me I get in the flow in traffic & sit back 2-3 car lengths ...I'm relaxed getting to my A-B.
Wife drives like she's being chased by crooks.  ;D
She does not read my posts here at FWR so.... ;D

And then there was Spawn Sack.
Thank you so much for the very many insights. You really covered it all.
Lots I knew about but many did not know. Yes will get it checked out by a private mechanic. ($200 or more I guess $ well spent)
Your post surely will not only help me out in my search but everyone who reads it!
Even Rodney a very intelligent guy I bet is taking notes.

Thank you because this info will make my buying odds of getting more for my buck a reality.
Nothing worst than handing over one's $$$ & then repair this & repair that, every month after the sale.
Only other worst thing can think of is buying into a leaky condo. How many lost big bucks over that.
SS going to get a paper & write down your good ideas in pt. form.
 Thanks to all for your educated thoughts. Toyota sure getting lots of thumbs up.

Thanks! And no problem at all, glad to help.
I should say that the "trick" of having the dealer run the VIN I only know for certain that works for Toyotas. Can't see why Honda or whoever would not be able to do the same thing.

As others have said take your time, test drive lots of vehicles, narrow it down to exactly what you want. Nothing worse than buyer's remorse on anything you buy. ESPECIALLY on something expensive like a new (or new to you) vehicle!

Another trick I have done is print off the adds for the same vehicle sold elsewhere (from Craig's List, Auto Trader, etc). When it comes time to buy the used vehicle from the dealer show them other comparable and try to get some more money off. Obviously if they know they are holding a vehicle in high demand and it's priced right, you will get little if any $ off. If it's not a super high demand vehicle and it has been on their lot for a while, they will be looking to move it and you can get a better price.

If the inspection turns up a few things that need addressing you might be able to get the dealer to take care of this for free instead of taking $ off the truck. For example the last truck I bought I only got $500 of the asking price. However they had already dropped it 3 grand and the asking price when I bought it was about the right going rate. When I took it to my mechanic he pointed out that the tranny fluid was pretty dirty and needed a change, and the battery was in poor health (surprise, neither of these were noted on the dealer's inspection report). I negotiated that the dealer do the tranny service and replace the battery for free.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Lastly I will say I would N-O-T bite on A-N-Y of their up-sells when you go to buy. This is part of what I hate about buying a vehicle from the dealer. Paint protection, their in house warranty if the vehicle has no remaining factory warranty, road side assistance, and whatever else, just say NO. You will have to pay the stupid documentation fee even if you are paying cash, most dealers will not budge on this one.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 04:38:41 PM by Spawn Sack »