Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: kwikfish  (Read 3994 times)

island boy

kwikfish
« on: February 16, 2019, 10:07:32 PM »

anyone fish kwikfish lures out of a boat in the lower vedder during the fall? i know it's big across the boarder but would it work up here?
you kill it, you clean it.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: kwikfish
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 08:17:19 AM »

anyone fish kwikfish lures out of a boat in the lower vedder during the fall? i know it's big across the boarder but would it work up here?

The Vedder would be hard considering all the people on shore who think they own the river. If you're talking about backtrolling with K-14's and K-15's people do it on the Harrison sometimes. Although it seems to be a lost art sometimes since spey casting has become the method of choice on the Harrison these days. Floating jigs, twitching jigs and fly fishing seem to catch more fish during the fall on the Harrison. That said I do back troll plugs a few days a week on the Harrison in the fall. I find it fun. Back in the day people would troll in the Sumas and Hattison mouth for Coho. It's very rare and the people that do often get spoons and spinners tossed at their boats. Folks are very territorial on the river and it seems like if you dont conform then you're in for a world of hurt.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 08:20:21 AM by Hike_and_fish »

dobrolub

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 10:20:19 AM »

The Vedder would be hard considering all the people on shore who think they own the river.
One boater can ruin fun for 20 shore anglers. I'd think boaters would get it and stay off of small streams with many anglers on shore.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 07:12:38 PM »

One boater can ruin fun for 20 shore anglers. I'd think boaters would get it and stay off of small streams with many anglers on shore.

Let's just be clear here. There are no regulations against boats being on the Chilliwack river. The Chilliwack us the only one I can think of that has this unwritten rule where boaters should stay off. They co-exist from the stamp to the Stave to many Skeens tribs.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 07:37:09 AM »

I had two small aluminum inboard jet boats pass me just above the crossing on December 30. I have never seen that before. Fairly quiet like they may have had jet ski engines ?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 09:11:24 AM »

Kwikfish, once known as flatfish... I remember we trolled frog pattern and black ones at the (Sumas) Vedder Mouth and they caught salmon and trout.

Over the years in the fall,  boats seem to be creeping up the canal above the Sumas confluence. One anchored good size jet boat can plug up a run easily. Funny story though. Not too many years ago I was alone on a run and a pair of guys in a 12 foot tinny came up the canal and motored passed then made to beach the boat within 20 feet of me. I exchanged a few angry words with the guy at the tiller and his buddy in the front on the boat said to him lets get outta here. Yeah said the 1st guy we just wanted to drop in for shore lunch...the fishing stinks now that the sun is on the water. He then ran the boat at speed right in front of me for a few minutes and left. I had 2 fish on the beach and felt ok with my results but I guess he stirred up whatever fish were laying in that run 'cause I caught a few more over the next couple of hours, including 2 hatchery fish for my limit.

I've had similar issues on the Harrison where some boats including those operated by guides seem unable to 'see' bank anglers and will park right in front of them.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 11:03:35 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

redside1

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 10:45:17 AM »

Kwikfish, once known as flatfish...

two different lures made by two different companies back in the day.
Kwikfish where made in Canada and Helin Tackle was made first in USA (if I remember correctly) and now Kwikfish are made offshore while Flatfish are North American made.
They have a different balance and sit differently in the water. Larger salmon sizes are different shapes and have different action with Kwikfish being much more salmon back trolling orientated with a tighter action. So much so in fact Yakima Bait has come out with their Mag Lip plug to target salmon and steelhead and compete better with Kwikfish and another kwikfish copy from Brad's Fishing gear called "Killierfish".

Because of manufacturers moq's there is now a much larger color selection of Flatfish available than kwikfish.  If someone is going to back troll or anchor and toss them out the back of the boat they should check out the Mag Lip line up. they work very well and recently caught a few steelhead back trolling them.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 11:01:32 AM »

Thanks.

Henlin's flatfish was manufactured in Canada and the US:

https://www.mybaitshop.com/pages/helin-tackle-company
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 11:32:38 AM »

I assume by lower Vedder, your talking about the canal below the Hwy bridge. That section is usually very lower in the early Fall and thus has very little current. It would be difficult to back troll or pull K14/K15 plugs in those conditions. It's such a narrow and shallow section of river. Most guys opt to just anchor and cast spinners/spoons, since there are usually lots of boats. Like Hike_and_fish has meantioned, the Harrison is a better river for pulling plugs.

island boy

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 05:49:22 PM »

thanks for the replys. i was talking below the freeway. ya the last few years it has been kind of skinny down there but might give er a go.
you kill it, you clean it.