Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishin' in Thailand - Dec 2019  (Read 1687 times)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
Fishin' in Thailand - Dec 2019
« on: February 10, 2019, 07:29:53 PM »

Heading to Thailand in December for my *shudder* 50th BDay - since this is "my" trip, I'm 'allowed' to fish pretty much all I want (we'll see how that ACTUALLY plays out with the Mrs.  ::) LOL).

This will be my first trip there, I'll be there for 3 weeks - anyone have any experience or recommendations?  My only real want is to target fish we don't have access to - fresh and salt.  I'll likely bring a spinning outfit with me (and leave behind if I meet the right local that could make good use of it).  Starting in Phuket, heading down the coast and back up, will be in Krabi for a bit and will be ending in Phuket.  Still in the planning stages, so open to all suggestions!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 07:32:36 PM by scouterjames »
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Fishin' in Thailand - Dec 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 09:23:25 PM »

Post your question in the flybc site.  Ian, aka March Brown May have some suggestions.

Snagly

Re: Fishin' in Thailand - Dec 2019
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 04:09:54 AM »

Phuket is very crowded and offers little fishing opportunities for DIY'ers. Seasonally, there is excellent C&R sail fishing and good other inshore fishing esp. if you get away from the main resorts. (In the old days, you'd take an overnight boat to the Similans which was a fishing and diving paradise, but I believe that's a national park now and no fishing is allowed. At least legally . . . .)

I don't know Krabbe, but in recent decades it's become nearly as built up as Phuket. If you are really keen (and seeing how it's your 50th), look into booking a liveaboard charter out of Krabbe north into the Andaman Sea along the Burma border. I've had non-fishing friends make this cruise for 3-5 days and they report pristine reefs only the odd dynamite fisherman. That option may or may not be on the table, but December should be the start of calmer weather (less wind/rain) so perhaps there are charters to be had.

Inland, Ian Forbes (March Brown) fishes for mahseer on the fly inland. Thailand is heavily populated, so if you want to fish in decent solitude you'll need to be off the beaten track . . . Ian seems to ride a motorbike and is probably well Upcountry.

Around Bangkok, there are a handful of pay ponds that have all kinds of exotics stocked including South America arupaima and giant Mekong catfish. There are videos on YouTube showing fishing tourists with saltwater spinning outfits landing 200lb beasts . . . and letting them go (of course).

The Gulf of Siam is pretty much fished out. I'd skip it.
"One and done" to limit our impact on wild steelhead