Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice regarding a fishing rod setup  (Read 3454 times)

SALMONRULE

Advice regarding a fishing rod setup
« on: February 06, 2019, 09:40:44 PM »

Hello Fellow Anglers,

After a season of constantly loosing fish due to bad hook sets are not telling if I was drifting properly and if the bobber down was a snag or a fish... I finally have gotten serious with fishing and switched over from a spinning setup to a casting setup. I bought an Abu Garcia ambassadeur 6500s , and now looking for a rod so I can start fishing for steelhead.

I had a few questions as I'am stilling learning a lot about fishing

I was looking at an Okuma Ceilo and had options of

10,6 Heavy action 15 -50lb
9,0 Medium heavy 15-30

price is the same for both specs

which would be the best rod to target most species ?

would 10,6 be overkill ?

Thanks

BBarley

Re: Advice regarding a fishing rod setup
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 10:09:37 PM »

The 10’6 model sounds a bit heavy, the 9 footer sounds like it has plenty able backbone but if your intention is float fishing, a longer rod will give you greater ability to keep the line off the water. The heavier rod sounds like an ideal bar fishing rod, but maybe not so much for float fishing all day.

If you are new to the sport, I’d always er on the side of caution and be overgunned as you know you’ll always have the ability to bring the fish in quickly to prevent overexertion on the fish and frustration on your part.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 10:52:19 PM »

I totally disagree with the comment that spinning rod is not serious of steelhead fishing. and the 15-50lb rod is absolutely unnecessary
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 10:54:05 PM by psd1179 »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 11:55:07 PM »

Both rods are overkills. Get the new Shimano Clarus 10'6" 12 - 20lb if you're just starting out.

http://fish.shimano.com/content/fish/northamerica/us/en/homepage/Shimano_Product_Page.P-CLARUS_BC_CASTING.html

SALMONRULE

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 12:02:16 AM »

I totally disagree with the comment that spinning rod is not serious of steelhead fishing. and the 15-50lb rod is absolutely unnecessary

I tried fishing for many years with my spinning setup , and I felt that I count get nice drifts and that, I woudnt have the best hooksets
'

SALMONRULE

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 12:05:52 AM »

I tried fishing for many years with my spinning setup , and I felt that I count get nice drifts and that, I woudnt have the best hooksets
'

I always thought Shimano rods where pricey, found a few Clarus 10.6 rods for $120 , I guess I might go with this then

thanks rod !

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 07:36:51 AM »

'

Perhaps a little context here would be helpful.  Spinning rods certainly have their application for salmon/steelhead fishing (e.g. casting and retrieving jigs, spoons, spinners, etc.), but for fishing with a float presentation, a level wind (or centrepin) will provide for much better control of the drift and hook sets.   And 15 - 50 rated rod for steelhead, albeit "doable", is overkill.  As Rod suggested, a 10 - 20 or 12 - 20 lb rated float rod is a good all around set-up for salmon/steelhead on medium sized rivers like the Vedder (I'm assuming that's where you're intending to go).

glfish88

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 09:28:30 AM »

The Fenwick HMX and Eagles series are rods that I have had good experience with float fishing in the fraser valley. Some other good quality rods that wont break the bank imo are the trophy xl rods and shimano convergence.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 09:38:55 AM »

The Convergence salmon/steelhead series has been discontinued and has now been upgraded to the Clarus series. You can still get the same specs in Clarus, just with better components at a slightly higher price. You might still be able to find some Convergence models left over at the local tackle stores.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 10:37:49 AM »

I prefer Fenwick HMX to Shimano Clarus. I broke a Clarus at the butt section in the first out. I heard a few other broken cases as well.

Spinning rod float fishing is user friendly and efficient . no need to worry bird nest
https://youtu.be/-we9htDznfQ

redside1

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 10:54:39 AM »

Shimano, Daiwa, Okuma, Fenwick, Trophy Xl, Amundson, Berkley all make decent 10'6" river fishing rods. Just a matter of what your local dealer stocks and what sort of retail price one wishes to pay.
Do a bit more research and see what suits your budget.

SALMONRULE

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 11:23:57 AM »

my first rod which broke due to losing the trunk on the tip was an Okuma connoisseur, so hence why I was looking at the casting counterpart of that model which is the Celilo.. Only $65 on Amazon.ca. I mostly fish rivers where steelhead are C&R and the river has lots of rapids and fast current sections. Thats why I was attracted to the 9,0 MH 15-30 lb rod
https://www.amazon.ca/Okuma-Graphite-Steelhead-Casting-CE-C-902XHa/dp/B005IMZGLI/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1549567415&sr=8-21&keywords=casting+rods

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 12:35:23 PM »

If you can wait till the used tackle sale at the All About Fishing show you will find many suitable rods.