Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Salmon Post-season Meeting (duration: 6 hours)  (Read 3653 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
2018 Salmon Post-season Meeting (duration: 6 hours)
« on: December 11, 2018, 03:10:00 PM »

Last week's DFO 2018 salmon post-season review is now available online for the public. Lots of information to digest.

https://gts-ee.webex.com/gts-ee/ldr.php?RCID=97a0766c5d74753e8d12fe1812b08a1e

When I have a bit more time later today, I'll put in the time stamps on all the overviews (Fraser sockeye, chinook, enforcement, next year's issues, etc).

I have the PP presentations in PDFs as well, which I will put up for downloading later if anyone wants a copy.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 07:20:46 PM by Rodney »

bobby b

Re: 2018 Salmon Post-season Meeting (duration: 6 hours)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 04:26:00 PM »

Link does not work...

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 04:37:51 PM »

I watched the WebEx live.

I would be very surprised if salmon opens on the main stream of  Fraser next year.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:40:35 PM by wildmanyeah »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 07:21:07 PM »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 07:49:24 PM »

If we are going with the worst case scenario being presented, we'll all be doing plenty of lake fishing next year lol...

Jeff_

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 11:43:09 AM »

Thanks for sharing!

Very interesting information on the Species at Risk Act relating to the Thompson/ Chilcotin Steelhead that has huge implications to fishing for all sectors. Correct me if I am wrong, but if the species does get listed in the act it would mean a closure of ALL salmon fishing for ALL groups for the majority of the fall season in the lower Fraser. I also found it quite interesting that getting a listing does not exclude the possibility of restrictions on all other finfish opportunities.

Lots of tough discussion ahead.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 01:41:43 PM »

If we are going with the worst case scenario being presented, we'll all be doing plenty of lake fishing next year lol...

I am hoping that the conditions that produced a good run of coho to the Fraser this year, will produce a decent run of pinks next year and good coho returns again.

BBarley

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 02:14:18 PM »

Is there a threshold or any kind of criteria that they use to determine when and how to list a stock under SARA? Is there a percentage of historical mean or just a formulated number that has to be approached year after year to determine a listing? I have absolutely no knowledge on said decisions but am extremely curious how these decisions are made and what kind of discussions they have to take with all user groups to come to a conclusion.

If a decision is made to list them, what kind of pushback would they face from the recreational community as well as the chum salmon fishery? Somehow I get the feeling that the lobbying efforts to keep things status quo will outweigh the cry for protectionary listing. Kind of akin to gun violence south of the border, if they haven’t done anything to this point, hard to imagine anything will ever get done.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 11:17:18 PM »

If the decision is to list them, I don't think there'll be that much pushback from the Lower Fraser rec groups. As much as I love the Lower Fraser coho salmon fishery, I personally won't push for an opening. IMO we got to this point because of inaction, and we're just paying for the price right now.

sockeyed

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 03:41:38 PM »

What does this mean for pink fishing on the lower fraser in 2019?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 03:57:23 PM »

It would mean a lot of they were listed the Fraser pink fishery would be essential closed.

However they will not be listed, no fish stock has ever been listed.

The social and economic impact of a listing would be to great. The simple fact is the few steelhead remaining are not worth saving.

The only way I could ever see them listed as if it HaD First Nation support and it certainly does not have that.

The few freshwater recreational fishing groups that so support a listing are far outweighed and voted by ocean  recreational fishermen that are greatly opposed to a listing.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:01:28 PM by wildmanyeah »

avid angler

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 08:10:33 PM »

Unfortunately Wildmanyeah is right. It’s unfortunate the greatest stock of steelhead isn’t worth giving up a commercial roe fishery