Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Campbell Bushing Reel  (Read 1751 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Campbell Bushing Reel
« on: January 21, 2019, 06:37:43 PM »

My Campbell 4.5 inch bushing reel is the first bushing pin reel I have owned. I can't figure out if it is doing something a bit funny, or, if what it is doing is normal.

Pertaining to the tiny screw in the center on the reel that increases (clockwise) or decreases (counter clockwise) the tension on the bushing: I keep setting it to where I like which is around 11-o-clock. Here the spool has a slight bit of play laterally, but the reel does not "clack" when reeling in. There is little to no binding when drifting slow water. The reel starts up right away; the tip of the rod will flex just slightly before the spool starts up. Any tighter on the screw and the reel will bind on a slow drift. Any looser on the screw and the reel will "clack" a bit when reeling in. 

I've noticed that after a few hours of fishing the reel will start to "clack" when retrieving line. If I check the position of the screw - sure enough - if has creeped a bit counter clockwise to about the 9 or even 8-o-clock position.

The fix is simple, I take out the small flat head screwdriver on my multitool and give it a bit of a tighten back to where I want it.

Is this normal for a new bushing pin reel? I bought it new and have fished it about 20 hours. I doubt it matters, but I have been cleaning and reoiling the bushing every 2-3 trips out.

lapa

Re: Campbell Bushing Reel
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 07:47:06 PM »

I had similar issue but my RH reel was spooled for LH use. Eventually I lost my screw when fishing 8) and asked Don to send me new one. It is very hard to find.

VirtualFisher

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 09:49:02 PM »

I have the same issue as well.  Apply a bit of loctite (red bottle) to set screw and that will keep the screw in place.

fisherforever

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 08:15:29 AM »

Do NOT use red loctite (it is permanent), use the blue loctite it will hold the screw and will still allow adjustments

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 02:57:27 PM »

I had something similar when I first got my left handed Campbell. Keep using the reel to break in the spindle and eventually it'll smooth itself out without constantly having to adjust the screw. It's typical with new bushing reels.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 08:50:07 PM »

Make sure you’re not applying to much oil as that can slow the reel down quite a bit. Maybe try less oil and tighten it slightly. Might have to take the oil and the tool you need with you to the river.