Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My turn for a break in  (Read 9644 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: My turn for a break in
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 01:20:18 PM »

Agree.

"Vehicle break in are down 60%" or whatever %, I can just see the article in the paper.

Yeah that's because noone f**ing PARKS there anymore because they dont want to get their vehicle broken into. Hard for break ins to happen if people just stop parking their vehicles at the known parking lots.

This has got to stop. I have been chatting with some like minded friends and people on the river. We should not have to leave every compartment in our vehicles open and empty just to take our dog(s) to the river or go fishing for a few hours.

I'm brainstorming something. Like Creep Catchers but instead catching these low lifes breaking into vehicles daily along the Vedder River. Would need a decent # of people interested who would be willing to give up a bit of their time here and there. People not afraid of controntation and willing to detain someone until the RCMP arrive. Maybe my idea will be a hit or maybe it'll be a flop, but I'm going to try. Tierd of being nervous to park my truck anywhere on the river. The time has come to stop whining and do something.
PM Dave and I or others when you are going there and we could come as backup for you.

Jk47

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 01:31:53 PM »

I’m in. Was thinking of coming out from white rock thIs past Sunday with a friend of mine to do just that. Post up in the bushes for a couple hours  in a couple of the hot spots and see what happens. Just while the fishing is slow  ;D

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2018, 02:35:32 PM »

Can anyone recommend a paticular product? I have not got to the online research stage yet.

I bought a Blackvue DR500 a few years back that said it was 30 frames per second HD video. Video quality isn't near that and I would buy a different brand next time I shop for a dash cam. Got sideswiped last year while parked and caught the incident on camera, along with the driver getting out, inspecting the damage, then leaving again! Couldn't read the license plate though so I had to pay for repairs -_-

I channeled my impotent rage into making a video and posted it on various Vancouver Reddit threads. You can check out the video quality here: https://vimeo.com/201623496

I also got a Power Magic Pro installed at the same time. It's a device that sits between your dashcam and your car battery. When you're parked, the dashcam runs in motion-activated mode. If your car battery gets too low (say you've been parked for a week in a busy area) then the PMP will disable the dash cam so you don't come back to a dead car battery. The PMP has worked as advertised and I'd buy another of those.

Not sure that you could mount a dashcam on the exterior of your vehicle without the cam being killed by the weather. Maybe there are weather-resistant models?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2018, 03:15:25 PM »

PM Dave and I or others when you are going there and we could come as backup for you.

Haha!  at our combined age of 143 I don't think we would be much help ;D ;D ;D

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2018, 04:08:32 PM »

There was a break-in at the Hopedale parking lot this morning too.

Oh boy! I thought the Hopedale parking is safe. It takes quite a bit of driving to get here on winding dirt road from the main road and a thief can be blocked from exiting if caught in the act with so many cars coming and going there. That is quite a concern as this is a good parking spot for quite a few good steelhead runs. That is why people were upset when the access to Train Bridge run was blocked as that was surely the best situation for car safety. So where is the safest parking now? Canal where you can look back to check any time? This takes so much fun out of winter steelheading.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 04:10:10 PM by Steelhawk »

BBarley

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2018, 07:39:28 PM »

Maybe I’m missing something but how would a dash cam help with vehicle break ins? I would think anything electronic would be the first taken out of the vehicle destined for the pawn shop..... Surely any criminal scrounging for crack money wouldn’t leave a dash cam with their mug on the memory for the owners to identify.

I like the idea of a well positioned trail cam to identify the perps if you do happen to come upon a break in, I just don’t know how many still shots you could hold in a day of fishing st some of the busier spots. I do think a vigilante group of prior victims would go a long way to smashing hands and envoking fear in said scumbags.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2018, 08:50:00 PM »

Update: like many others I was game for waiting in the bush for these scrot bags and ambushing them. I've since come to my senses and abandoned this idea. Too many "what ifs," way too much potential for things to go sideways. These are not kids you can slap around a bit and put a good scare into, they are grown men who have adopted the criminal lifestyle. Good chance they are carrying a weapon(s), even a firearm. It's just not worth getting stabbed or shot. If the police end up getting involved it's not going to end well for the "good guys" who set up an ambush for the bad guys. Yes, it's their word against yours, but what if, say, a dash cam records the whole thing and your story does not match the video evidence. Like I said, too many what ifs and potential for things to go sideways. I can't blame anyone who wants to go cowboy on these scuzz butts, but I won't personally be taking part in a pre-planned thumping.

Now I don't plan to do nothing. I am looking into getting a hidden security camera installed on my truck that will roll tape when my truck is turned off and I'm away fishing. Hopefully it will get a clear picture of a face and/or license plate.

Last few times I've gone fishing I had literally taken everything out of my truck, left all compartments open, and put a sign in the window stating there are no valuables left in the truck. So far I've been good. Yes if is a HUGE pain taking this crap in and out of the vehicle but not as much of a pain as having it stolen + an insurance claim. No guarantee they still wont smash and enter just cuz they can, but i feel pretty confident leaving my truck unattended knowing it has already been gutted and all compartments are open/visible.

Jk47

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2018, 06:33:12 AM »

I still have never been smashed on the C/V. Here’s my trick: I drive a Chevy Venture full size mini van, tinted windows. All back seats removed. This makes for great rod storage, as I can switch spots on the river without collapsing a 13’6” rod. But this space in the back is also where I keep my foamy and bedding (I often camp in the van during Steelhead season). So whether I plan on camping or not, this bedding goes with me every time, and while I’m away from the vehicle I stuff the pillows in the blankets so it looks like someone is sleeping there. I guess if a would be thief glimpses in and can’t determine if there’s someone inside or not then they don’t usually spend a lot of time hanging around trying to figure it out - just on to the next one. Seems to be working for me....

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2018, 09:56:49 AM »

I have a pic of the guy with fake hair. I can email to someone and they can post it. I am normally on a phone so its not easy for me to post.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 09:30:39 PM »

I was not fishing today but I spoke with a reliable source who knows someone who was at Browne road this morning. Their vehicle and 4 others had windows smashed. Not sure if anything was stolen.
It's getting really bad out there folks! If you are going to leave your vehicle unattended please take steps to make yours an undesirable target.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2018, 11:40:25 AM »

My work truck got broken into in front of my house for the first time ever, Smashed the back window and stole nothing, my got a few bucks

Worst part was the bled all over the center consul.  Nasty

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2018, 11:51:58 AM »

My work truck got broken into in front of my house for the first time ever, Smashed the back window and stole nothing, my got a few bucks

Worst part was the bled all over the center consul.  Nasty
Would the police do DNA testing on blood? I expect they wouldn't go through the effort and expense for a simple smash and grab. However, if you can get a hold of Block Watch, or police database, stats and make a case the this type of offense is happening regularly in your community, they may make the effort to catch a prolific offender.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2018, 12:02:50 PM »

They told me it is inadmissible as evidence because  my truck was parked on the street anyone could of came by and bled on it, in the consul lol. That it does not link them to the crime.

As silly as that sounds they said it's what the courts say.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 12:10:36 PM by wildmanyeah »