Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chehalis  (Read 19172 times)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Re: chehalis
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2018, 11:48:50 AM »

How many are bypassing the mainstem and going straight into the hatchery channel.

I haven’t fished it in the summer in many years but decided to give it a go this year. As a kid we would fish the lower and the canyon and have pools filled with springs and summers sitting right behind them. Lower runs stacked and canyon pools so thick with springs. I walked the entire lower end and didn’t even see a fish sitting in any of the runs. The canyon where we would see them all the time had 2 total that we could see. Yet the hatchery channel was full.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2018, 03:00:36 PM »

The canyon where we would see them all the time had 2 total that we could see. Yet the hatchery channel was full.
it saddens one.
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2018, 05:53:28 PM »

I haven’t fished it in the summer in many years but decided to give it a go this year. As a kid we would fish the lower and the canyon and have pools filled with springs and summers sitting right behind them. Lower runs stacked and canyon pools so thick with springs. I walked the entire lower end and didn’t even see a fish sitting in any of the runs. The canyon where we would see them all the time had 2 total that we could see. Yet the hatchery channel was full.

It's a real shame. Last time I caught a spring in the Chehalis was before the river changed too. It's like they're not even there anymore.

The best spot at the mouth below the hatchery channel is technically reserve land. There is a nice decent size gravel beach. The non reserve side is thick with Bush and up a bit high on a bank. To get in by boat the Harrison HAS to be over 9.5 ( harrison @ morris creek water level readings ).

I talked with a hatchery employee yesterday who said it looks lile a bumper Coho run this year. Could have fooled me because they are not around in numbers . Just going straight into the hatchery.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2018, 06:27:09 PM »

Of course way back in the day the main flow went right by the hatchery. Last time I was there maybe 4 years ago, and the hatchery channel appeared to join back with the main flow at some point, but well downstream.

So are you all saying the main flow has since diverted so much that hatchery channel now completely separate from the main flow now? All the way to the Harrison?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2018, 04:59:23 AM »

Of course way back in the day the main flow went right by the hatchery. Last time I was there maybe 4 years ago, and the hatchery channel appeared to join back with the main flow at some point, but well downstream.

So are you all saying the main flow has since diverted so much that hatchery channel now completely separate from the main flow now? All the way to the Harrison?

It's in the Chehalis but maybe by only a 100 yards or so.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 05:02:58 AM by Hike_and_fish »

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2018, 08:02:08 AM »

I noticed a few hundred thousand less fish in the large pens close by the outlet channel at the hatchery . Those pens with the big tube pumping out water were always full of , what , 7 or 9 gram fish ready to go out ? . Did they cut back funding for rearing fish so they could renovate the hatchery property ? . Just a thought  ;) . Hope things will look brighter in the future and our kids will get the chance and or opportunity to go fish there .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

TruckFishin

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2018, 10:16:40 AM »

If you look on Google Maps / Earth you can really see the separation. I really wish somehow there could be a project to divert the hatchery channel fairly straight across to the mainstem river to get more salmon into the mainstem like in the days gone by...

Old Blue

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2018, 02:11:17 PM »

A few trees downed in the right spot would make things interesting.

John Revolver

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2018, 02:20:03 PM »

I made my first visit in 9 years to the Chehalis this past spring. Scattered some of my dads ashes in the river, as my dad and I did with his dads ashes many years before. I could hardly believe how much the river had changed, almost unrecognizable in spots. The parking is a challenge now as well, no parking signs everywhere. What a shame to see and hear what's become of that river. Many good times on that river with my dad, lots of coho and lots of steelhead. I caught my first ever steelhead there, my dad caught his first steelhead there as well. Might go stomp around a bit this winter for old times sake.

I did the same thing with some of my dads ashes. Spread some atop the first canyon pass looking back down on the the bridge.  Just awesome memories growing up camping/fishing/hiking with him and my brother and sister.  Such a special place and so sad to see its decline over the years.  My friends and I would book the entire north site for huge annual camping trips each spring untill they closed it entirely a couple years ago. sad sad

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2018, 03:08:58 PM »

I did the same thing with some of my dads ashes. Spread some atop the first canyon pass looking back down on the the bridge.  Just awesome memories growing up camping/fishing/hiking with him and my brother and sister.  Such a special place and so sad to see its decline over the years.  My friends and I would book the entire north site for huge annual camping trips each spring untill they closed it entirely a couple years ago. sad sad

I saw a group camping at that spot about a month and a half ago

John Revolver

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2018, 08:02:29 PM »

I saw a group camping at that spot about a month and a half ago

! Amazing. perhaps we will be in luck for next season.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2018, 07:21:07 AM »

They also expanded the main  campground with large group sites . Not sure what there plan is .I'm thinking the summertime is busy ? and need more space . It certainly was full remembrance long weekend yet void of anglers on the river . Oh and void of numbers of Coho & Chum .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2018, 09:36:53 AM »

They also expanded the main  campground with large group sites . Not sure what there plan is .I'm thinking the summertime is busy ? and need more space . It certainly was full remembrance long weekend yet void of anglers on the river . Oh and void of numbers of Coho & Chum .

Coho yes but void of Chum ? Man, the Chum are still pouring in.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2018, 09:43:28 PM »

Coho yes but void of Chum ? Man, the Chum are still pouring in.
Chum pouring into the river? Well that answers a few questions of how much experience on this system in the past you really have!  ::)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 09:46:26 PM by greyghost »
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2018, 07:11:24 AM »

Chum pouring into the river? Well that answers a few questions of how much experience on this system in the past you really have!  ::)

Over 30 years.