Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best release style for Fraser anchor?  (Read 2926 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Best release style for Fraser anchor?
« on: November 11, 2018, 02:02:12 PM »

My river anchor has the typical bar on top that, if snagged up, allows the chain to slide along the bar until it stops at the front of the anchor, allowing the anchor to release its self from the snag on bottom.

Unfortunately, on several occasions this release system has failed me. More specifically, anchor has gotten snagged up, pulled and pulled in different directions until finally it broke free, however in many cases the shackle did not slide up to the front of the anchor. In other words, the system did not work as intended.

And yes, I do know that to get the slider doing its thing you often have to let out a bunch of extra anchor line to get less of a sharp angle on the snag below.

Last fall got my anchor stuck BADDLY and was just about to give up and cut the rope. Pulled and pulled in all directions for about 30 min. Let out almost all my anchor rope (150 feet) to get a nice gradual angle and still it would not pop loose. Was worried I was going to bend my anchor cradle with the amount of lateral torque I was putting on it. Luckily it finally popped! Much to my surprise the anchor did not come out "backwards."

Anyway, I'm considering cutting the slider bar right off and welding on a chain link at the top and bottom of the anchor and going with the old school zap strap system. That is, on or two zap straps at the rear of the anchor affixing the anchor chain to the anchor. If you get snagged up, at least I am told, the zap strap(s) WILL break free and your anchor will release as intended.

It's not as pretty of a set up but I'm all for function over fashion. Any opinions? Do you think the zap strap system releases better than the slider bar?

Gone_Fishin_

Re: Best release style for Fraser anchor?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 08:44:36 AM »

I have never personally run the slide bar like you have but run the zap strap older style. Chain is attached to the bottom then run up to the top eye and 2 zap straps to hold it here. I've snagged my anchor numerous times and always had it break free within a few minutes of pulling. Most times I can even do it by hand. Never lost an anchor yet (knock on wood).

I've heard of similar problems with the slide bar rig. I have one friend that went back to the zap strap style after getting snagged up real bad and losing an anchor.

Flybob

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 09:02:41 AM »

Zap straps all the way....

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 10:29:59 AM »

Ive never had a slider bar and allways used the zap strap.
Still lost the odd anchor but i used to spend a lot of time out there so is bound to happen no matter what system you have or use.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 11:43:20 AM »

I have never personally run the slide bar like you have but run the zap strap older style. Chain is attached to the bottom then run up to the top eye and 2 zap straps to hold it here. I've snagged my anchor numerous times and always had it break free within a few minutes of pulling. Most times I can even do it by hand. Never lost an anchor yet (knock on wood).

I've heard of similar problems with the slide bar rig. I have one friend that went back to the zap strap style after getting snagged up real bad and losing an anchor.

I'm assuming by the "bottom" of the anchor you mean the end that digs into the muck? I've never had/used an anchor with the zap strap system but this is the only way I can see it working. Anchor gets hung up, pull up and break the zap straps opposite the end that is dug into the river bed, now the anchor is released and comes out "backwards."

The only thing I worry about is when the anchor is not actually hung up, but sucked into the muck pretty good, I'll often pull in rope until the boat is straight over the anchor, then tie off and get the driver to advance farther forward to pop the anchor out of the muck. Then I'll pull it all the way in. Don't always do this but I find especially if sturgeon fishing multiple spots it makes pulling the anchor in a bit less tiring. Anyway, I worry about the zap straps breaking when just trying to reef the anchor out of the muck, but it's not actually stuck and I don't want the zap straps to break.

Has anyone experienced this problem? I'm a bit apprehensive cutting off my slider bar and going with the zap strap system. Seems like I'm "devolving" my anchor system. But, I have been told the old school z/s system is superior when trying to free a snagged anchor.

poper

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 12:20:15 PM »

I find the the zap straps break anytime you pull hard, but that’s why there like that you want them to break,I started useing 3 straps at a time, helps from breaking unless it’s really stuck, but I have always had the zapstrap system works great for me, I always have a bag of extra straps when they break. That being said, I have lost more then 1 anchor as well lol.

stsfisher

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 12:37:33 PM »

X2

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 12:59:53 PM »

There are so many variables involved here. I used to run the zap strap anchors but made the switch to the bar. The straps would either break or not break at all. It all depends on what you're caught up on. There's everything from cars to cables and trees on the bottom. Retreiving with the zap strap method will be a lot easier for sure. The bar requires your anchor to be either flat all the way up to a 45 degree angle. Anymore than that itll become impossible to slide ( that's the theory anyhow ). If I cant pull my anchor by going forward I'll often go into reverse and pull backwards ( extreme cases ) it's always come back up when I've had to go in reverse.

Personally I hated busting my straps or not at all. It was annoying. I am lucky. I have access to as much steel and invar I want. I got 4 extra anchors, chain and rope in my shed at no cost. I cant imagine having to buy new chain and rope everytime I lost an anchor. I was actually thinking next time I'll weld up an anchor out of invar and polish it up. Should be nice and chrome.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 01:03:09 PM by Hike_and_fish »

Flybob

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 07:22:51 PM »

There are so many variables involved here. I used to run the zap strap anchors but made the switch to the bar. The straps would either break or not break at all. It all depends on what you're caught up on. There's everything from cars to cables and trees on the bottom. Retreiving with the zap strap method will be a lot easier for sure. The bar requires your anchor to be either flat all the way up to a 45 degree angle. Anymore than that itll become impossible to slide ( that's the theory anyhow ). If I cant pull my anchor by going forward I'll often go into reverse and pull backwards ( extreme cases ) it's always come back up when I've had to go in reverse.

Personally I hated busting my straps or not at all. It was annoying. I am lucky. I have access to as much steel and invar I want. I got 4 extra anchors, chain and rope in my shed at no cost. I cant imagine having to buy new chain and rope everytime I lost an anchor. I was actually thinking next time I'll weld up an anchor out of invar and polish it up. Should be nice and chrome.

Can you make two !!  ;D

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 08:15:37 PM »

Can you make two !!  ;D

When I make an Invar anchor I'll make few extra and post on here for a giveaway for sure.