Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simms vs Patagonia?  (Read 12926 times)

Ry the fly guy

Simms vs Patagonia?
« on: October 30, 2018, 10:58:17 PM »

I'm looking for a new pair of waders, I'm tired of buying the cheap pair and having them not even last the season so I'm going high end this time. What type of wader do you use and why? I am mostly considering Simms or Patagonia, specifically G4 vs Rio Gellegos? and whether or not a zipper is necessary?

Thanks in advanced.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Simms vs Patagonia?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 08:23:10 AM »

been a G3 user for some time. I am very happy with the reliability and comfort of Simms waders. I have heard some very good things about Patagonia. They have a store in Vancouver and I hear any warranty issues can be handled through them which cuts some of the hassle of shipping waders to Bozeman
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 08:25:29 AM »

G4Z for me. I used yesterday for an example. It was raining hard. Cold rain too. I was able to keep my jacket on while I took a piss. That's the main reason why I bought the front Zipper Simms. I used to hate taking my jacket off and leaking on the front pouch of waders everytime I took a leak.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 12:06:33 PM by Hike_and_fish »

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 09:49:32 AM »

Frogg Toggs

ShaunO

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 01:10:38 PM »

I use and have (almost) always used Simms waders and outer gear. 

I have nothing bad to say about Patagonia gear as I have no experience with their outer wear.  I do like the founder of Patagonia and his position on conservancy and responsible use of land and rivers, but not enough to fanboy his gear.

waterbearer

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 02:04:16 PM »

Patagonia.  A lot more bang for your buck

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 02:11:02 PM »

Right now my G3's are in for repairs after 5 good years of use.  So I'm using my Patagonia Rio Gallegos Zip fronts which I bought as backup.

Some observations:

Both my G3's and Patty's are very well made and seem to be durable enough to withstand years of abuse whether crawling over boulders or whacking through blackberry bushes etc..  If you plan on fishing in those type of conditions, a high end wader with many layers is essential. 

My G3's are not zippered but the Patty's are.  Which do I prefer?  While zippered is a nice convenience to have, its up to you whether you think its worth the extra coin.  I kind of like the storage that non zippered waders offer though.

As for the fit, I am 5'8 and about 165.  I use a MK in the G3's and an M in the Pattys.  The G3's are only very slightly wider in the chest.  The Patty's fall in between Simm's M and MK.  Overall though I prefer the fit of the G3's over the pattys.  The pattys don't have unbuckling suspenders which to me is a bit of a pain.  Regardless of what you do, if you are spending this kind of money on waders make sure they fit properly.  The majority of premature failures from waders stem from poor fit.  I have waders for both the summer and fall/winter months.  Wear what you would wear underneath when fishing when you go and try them out.  BTW, the Rio Gallegos waders have knee pads which can be removed from inside your waders.  Awesome when you are kneeling down on a rock or the ground.

Breathability.  I was a bit worried about whether the Patty's with their H2No fabric would offer comparable breathability to Gortex but I am glad to say that it works well.  The Patty's have a lining in the neoprene feet that works great when you are in the water but a little warm and clammy when you are not.  Overall though I am just as comfortable in my Patty's as in my G3's.

As for Warranty and service, much has been discussed here about the inconsistency of service from Simms.  I've always had good service from Simms whether its for their wading jackets or waders.  It seems Simms and Patagonia have a difference in philosophy with their High End products.  Simms makes and services their Gortex waders in Montana.  Their strategy is to treat high end waders like cars.  Spend a good bit of coin on them initially and pay a little every so often to maintain them.  They expect your waders to last a long time.  Patagonia would be more apt to replace rather than repair.  Their waders are made overseas and it would be cheaper to just send a replacement than to send them away to try and fix them.  Either way, always have a backup pair to use because it can take a month or more for your waders to get replaced or repaired.

I am happy with both products.  I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 02:23:29 PM by Stratocaster »

coyote spooner

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 02:18:56 PM »

G4Z for me. I used yesterday for an example. It was raining hard. Cold rain too. I was able to keep my jacket on while I took a piss. That's the main reason why I bought the front Zipper Simms. I used to hate taking my jacket off and leaking on the front pouch of waders everytime I took a leak.
I have a frogg togg waders and the shoulder strap buckles alternate so you can clip them together pull the front of the waders down and take a leak with your jacket on.  So definitely not necessary to take your jacket off and I’m assuming most manufacturers do this, for this reason?

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 02:21:52 PM »

I have a frogg togg waders and the shoulder strap buckles alternate so you can clip them together pull the front of the waders down and take a leak with your jacket on.  So definitely not necessary to take your jacket off and I’m assuming most manufacturers do this, for this reason?

I think its more to do with allowing the waders to be worn as waist high waders in the warmer months. 

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 06:16:40 PM »

I didnt know that. Sounds like a neat feature.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 06:37:25 PM »

I would never give a dime to Patagonia. They support activist enviormental nut bars.

joshhowat

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 07:46:10 PM »

Simms all the way g4 or g4z have had both it just depends if 100 bucks is worth a zipper. They definity last 100 pee breaks so a dollar a pee sounds good to me.

Patagonia has a good warranty and you will need it more time in repair then actually fishing.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

Ry the fly guy

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 10:22:25 PM »

Thanks for all the info! probably gonna go with Simms. I have heard the g3s have gone down in quality lately, could anyone attest to that? If I don't have to drop g4 $ to get great pair of waders that should last a full season or two.

mvelasco

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 03:15:55 PM »

They shed some layers on the G3 if I not mistaken. They went with 3 layers in the legs opposed to the 5 in older models. It has the same features as the G4 non zip which I like(zippered hand warmers and fly patch). If you are fairly active in regards to bushwacking and take a spill often I would move towards the g4. I have the older model g3 and haven't had much issues after taking a spill on rocks and bushwacking.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 03:25:02 PM »

They shed some layers on the G3 if I not mistaken. They went with 3 layers in the legs opposed to the 5 in older models. It has the same features as the G4 non zip which I like(zippered hand warmers and fly patch). If you are fairly active in regards to bushwacking and take a spill often I would move towards the g4. I have the older model g3 and haven't had much issues after taking a spill on rocks and bushwacking.

The new G3's are 4 layer in the legs and butt area and 3 everywhere else.  They claim its a lot lighter and more breathable while being more durable.  Not sure if the claims are valid though.

This youtube video explains the changes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsJKwpX4au8