Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly Tying Vice  (Read 4879 times)

robbo1970

Fly Tying Vice
« on: October 29, 2018, 04:43:39 PM »

So I broke my vice this weekend, a Renzetti Apprentice, so its time for a new one, and looking for any recommendations.

I tie a wide variety of flies, from dries to chironomids, nymphs and so on for trout to tubes and shanks for steelhead and salmon.

I hace a budget of under $200, and was looking into the Peak vice. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with this vice, or any others in my price range.

Thanks

Rob

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Fly Tying Vice
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 09:06:29 PM »

I love my peak vice (pedestal mount).  Extremely stable and the jaws hold your hooks very well.  Simple to use and pack away. 

robbo1970

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 06:38:30 AM »

Thanks stratocaster. I am seriously considering the peak vise, but have now also looked at the Anvil Atlas.

They are both around the same price point, but with the atlas the jaws can be slid up and down. Wonder if this would make tying on shanks and tubes more enjoyable

buckknife

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 05:58:22 PM »

I have been using The Norvise must admit I really like it.

t.wiebe

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 07:41:23 PM »

I have had the anvil atlas for almost two years, and it is heavy duty. I was also considering the peak.

I haven’t had the issues that some reviews have outlined, mostly because I oiled the moving parts with reel oil, and the rotary handle I glued in with PL premium so there’s no wobble.

The main fault (I haven’t had any issue with) is the jaws have two grooves in them.  Some say it’s hard to set hooks in the grooves. Also I don’t tie many small flies. But the jaws do hold smaller hooks well.

I just set the hook not in the grooves and it doesn’t take long to figure it out, when I tie on shanks I use the OPST shank clamp which like all opst stuff I’ve used is awesome.

The anvil comes with a pedestal and a clamp base, and there aren’t as many add ons as the peak.

So far I love the Vise and definitely recommend it. I hope this helps a bit.