Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roe question?  (Read 2366 times)

bobby b

Roe question?
« on: October 09, 2018, 08:57:01 PM »

Is it ok to freeze fresh roe before curing it?
I got some roe, but I don't have any cure and prob wont get any for a few days... so I figured I would freeze the roe in the interim.. maybe?

psd1179

• Old Timer
Re: Roe question?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 09:11:59 PM »

I heard fresh roe will burst if it is frozen. but I cured the roe with a lot of salt first and then kept in freezer. The eggs were not damaged.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 09:19:47 PM »

If possible, cure the roe before you freeze it.  I don't believe you will get the same quality product if you freeze the roe before curing it.  You should cure your roe within 24 - 36 hours for best results.

Stratocaster was given some uncured frozen roe from a friend.  He did cure the roe, but it didn't turn out very well.  The roe was very "fragile" and did not present well.

Anyway, that's my 50 cents worth.  Then again, if you read my "handle", I really shouldn't know anything about roe curing... :)

bobby b

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 09:43:34 PM »

OK thanks...

I'll see if the wife can pick some up for me while I'm fishing tomorrow...  ;D

Wish me luck .... she hates the stains and the smell of that stuff!!

spoiler

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 07:18:24 AM »

If you don't have time to cure the roe when it's fresh then freeze it in water.
I usually put it in a ziplock bag, run some water in it and force the remaining air out before sealing it.
When you have time to cure the roe, thaw it out and make sure it's well drained. I usually cut it into bait size pieces and place in a plastic ice cream pail, stir in a little double red procure and let it sit until I get the preferred shade. transfer the roe into a strainer and drain really well. I then get a plastic margarine container and put about an 1/8" layer of borax in the bottom. I have another ice cream bucket with borax that I put the roe pieces in to coat them. Then I do a layer of coated roe covered by a thin layer of borax, followed by roe and continue until the container is full ending with a layer of borax to seal in the eggs.
at this stage you can either store it in the fridge and take out what you need each day or put it back in the freezer and take it out the night before fishing.

96XJ

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 08:04:40 AM »

I unfroze some 6 year old fresh chum roe this year , used Borax O Fire on it , 2 more coho yesterday...

As much as roe is a hassle it’s still king