Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Journal For October 8,2018,First Coho Too  (Read 4442 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
The Journal For October 8,2018,First Coho Too
« on: October 09, 2018, 04:37:07 AM »

Welcome to The Journal on Fishing with Rod your top fishing website anywhere for fishing information, videos, environmental issues and much more.

It has been a long time that I have written one of these. It seems that doing a number of FB pages, Fraser Valley Illegal Dumping Alliance, my church, Fraser Valley Salmon Society, my own, working on the Wild Salmon Caravan, trying to help rid the damaging ocean located fish farms from our oceans and of course taking time to fish and hunt. It is a good thing I have been retired 20 years now. Oh yes and videos, I think I have around 2,000 on my channel, I have not found time to check. :o Now I have started writing this at 4AM to get one done.

I remember I wrote the journal often when FWR started back in 2001 when I first met Rod at a river cleanup on the Chilliwack River put on by Vic Carraro. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since that day. Of course this meeting spawned a lot of cleanup activity that goes on to this day. As most know Rod and I along with Lew Chater, Terry Bodman and others saw the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society formed in 2002 and continues to this day although I was the unofficial chairman until 2 years ago it has been the dedication of many directors that have led to hundred's of tonnes taken off the riparian zone of the Chilliwack Vedder River watershed. The recent BC Rivers Day, (Worlds River Day) the 17th put on by the CVRCS was another successful day with around 250 people taking part. Thanks to chairman Nikki and her team for a great day giving the river an important facelift once again.

This gets me back to my day on the river yesterday, Thanksgiving Day, we certainly have a lot to be thankful for with the Chilliwack River at our doorstep.

Yesterday morning I though of maybe making my first Coho Salmon trip to the Vedder although not a good idea with it being a holiday. Also I have taken my share of salmon over the summer and really donot need many more for the coming winter. Some have been canned , more to do and some to smoke. If you thought they were sockeye you are wrong as many know I donot take part in that activity. ::)

When I got to the river at first light the river in the Lower was very crowded, I even heard some got there at 4AM, no wonder I saw people with lawn chairs. ;D

I decided to do a river cleanup instead and the bars where not too bad but it amazes me that where people park along the Vedder Canal dyke road it is littered with garbage, coffee cups etc. It amazes me fishers would do that. Would they throw them out on their property at home? No excuse for that.

As going out to one of the gravel bars I met Marvin Rosenau who I have worked on many environmental issues together with others too. We celebrated our success in preventing gravel extraction on the Vedder for 2 years now. Thanks to Marvin hard work and dedication for stopping this damaging activity. Gravel extraction is not good on any river system and it is people that benefit from it that keeps pushing for it. It is of no benefit to the fishes home that's for sure.

Marv now tells me the next issue is the building of 2 bridges around Herrling Island in the Heart Of The Fraser, google it if you want more info. Marvin is going to send me a petition we need to sign and stop this that will damage turgeon and salmon rearing grounds.

With the cleanup complete with maybe 20 pounds picked up along with a bonus of a few tins and one DNE float it was time to go home for lunch and do some work around home, including cleaning 4 grouse from a recent 5 dayhunt that included a week on the Wild Salmon Caravan, check my FB page for videos and pictures if you wish but it will take time to get them all done.

With all this done I went out for an hour to fish the flood tide. Only two other anglers were in the run on my side of the flow and left soon after i got there one angler said as he passed by said he had taken a few including 2 jack coho salmon. He offered me some shrimp that he was catching them on but I thanked him and said I would stick to my roe.

As the tide rose the fish came in too and after numerous misses I connected with a small clipped coho jack salmon that I retained as my wife enjoys them and eats one all by herself, well they are not big.

As the geese flew to the Fraser River for their evening of rest, it was time for me to head for my rest too and supper my wife would have ready for me.

As I waded across the river I knew fish passing by me under the cover of darkness would be following their instinct and heading upstream to their home too, to complete their spawning ritual, helping us to have fish for the future. Let's make sure we protect their home from environmental damage, that is the lest we can do.

Well it is $:30 AM, time to grab that lawn chair and join those on the river now sitting in theirs, thanks for reading The Journal.

PS Rodney has invited me to fish with him and his dad tonight should do that like the old times when we first met in 2001, at 75 how many days will I have to do that?

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 05:36:23 AM by chris gadsden »

norton

Re: The Journal For October 8,2018,First Coho Too
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 01:03:18 PM »

nice post chris. thankyou for all you do  :D

JustPuttsin

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 01:20:09 PM »

Two thumbs up Chris! Nice read.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 04:10:49 PM »

Geez, I hope I have the jam at age 75 to write a journal at 4:00 AM before I go fishing for the day, and then to plan on fishing again that night!   

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 04:26:55 PM »

Nice read. Enjoyed it.

Aki

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 04:30:28 PM »

Great post, thanks...

arimaBOATER

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 04:33:57 PM »

Geez, I hope I have the jam at age 75 to write a journal at 4:00 AM before I go fishing for the day, and then to plan on fishing again that night!
Chris defiantly is not a couch potato.
2001 when he met Rodney he was 58 yrs old a mere youngster. Now he's 75. Old fart.
Seems like time flys quicker as one gets older.
Mind you there was a lady on the tv news not so long ago who at 100 was still ice rink curling. She also attends exercise classes 2x a week. When she talked ya would never think it were the words of a 100 yr old person. She spoke with passion. So Chris your still a youngster compared to this fire cracker 100 yr old BC lady. Keep up the good work. If your motor skills get a tad slower I suggest ya hire Rod as your pt time driver. Turn here . Turn there . Oh we're at the river again. Turn here; turn there gee a nice lake...what do ya know. Seriously your post gets a 10/10. Good reading.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 05:24:51 PM »

I much prefer reading his journal rather than listen to his incoherent rants about his so called hockey team. ;D

Stevejet

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 02:43:00 PM »

Great post Chris. Always fun to read.
How was your fishing with Rodney last night?
Did you catch lots?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 05:53:24 PM »

Did you catch lots?

He is still napping and recovering from that ordeal. ;)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 10:30:46 PM »

Seems like time flys quicker as one gets older.

It does indeed. At least in relative terms.
Every passing year is mathematically a smaller and smaller percentage of your total number of years lived. At age 10, one year is a whopping 10% of your whole life. At age 50, it is merely 2%.
Life is akin to a fishing line coming out of a reel - the closer you get to the end of the line, the faster the spool will spin. Until you get spooled out.   :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 11:15:21 PM »

Did you catch lots?
Nothing but was good to be out fishing with his dad and Bob too, a lovely evening on the flow.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 01:06:43 PM »

It does indeed. At least in relative terms.
Every passing year is mathematically a smaller and smaller percentage of your total number of years lived. At age 10, one year is a whopping 10% of your whole life. At age 50, it is merely 2%.
Life is akin to a fishing line coming out of a reel - the closer you get to the end of the line, the faster the spool will spin. Until you get spooled out.   :-[
Makes 100% sense to me. ( and I like Pres. Trump )
Chris & Rodney got skunked. 8th wonder of the world. Rod should of took Chris to his secret river fishing spot or then again Chris should of brought Rod & papa to his secret spot.  ::)