Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What do you do with invasive species?  (Read 4770 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
What do you do with invasive species?
« on: October 07, 2018, 07:49:02 PM »

Saw a guy nailing bass after bass after bass after bass when I was fishing a stocked trout lake. Right at the boat launch, it showed bass as an invasive specie. What's the regs around that? He was putting them back, but to me it would have made more sense to cull them, just curious what the rules around that are?

poper

Re: What do you do with invasive species?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 09:14:31 PM »

I don’t think you can just throw them in the bush but good idea to take them home and try to eat them, but they should should be culled.

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 09:18:37 PM »

Make it illegal to throw back in?

poper

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 10:03:27 PM »

I say kill them all, but that’s just me, I’m sure there’s people that disagree, we need Ralph to jump in here, take it away kid

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 07:24:04 AM »

...just for fun eh poper? You go jump in the lake. ;D

Regulations:

Bass are classified as sport fish. On the Island the bag limit on Bass is 4. In BC it is illegal to transport any live fish or to introduce any fish or aquatic life into a lake river stream pond etc. 

Per pg 9 of the current synopsis it is also unlawful to "Waste the fish you catch. If your fish is not suitable for eating or if possession is illegal because of quotas, size limits or closed seasons, return the fish quickly and gently to the water." Note that applies to every fish you catch regardless of species.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 09:42:02 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fishingwithjohn

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 10:49:54 AM »

Fill a bucket with em...bake...feed to dog...repeat

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 12:50:21 PM »

Thanks!

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 02:01:53 PM »

No specific rules, though if smallmouth at Cultus, the gov website now asks to retain them and provide to the local biologist.

I've wondered about the rationale behind having a limit on invasive species, or if it should something very high, like 100 to encourage retention. Mill lake even has a reduced limit of 4 bass. Why? Are they trying to have/manage one legit bass fishery in region 2?

Also what are peoples thoughts on mandatory retention (catch-and-kill) for certain species, like in other jurisdictions, and if it would even accomplish anything?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 03:13:51 PM »

Both species of bass have been in BC for over 50 years and have provide a few quality quality sport fisheries for those anglers who are interested. For the most part there isn't a lot of evidence they have done a lot of harm to native trout and salmon populations.The bigger issue is those few who transport them to other water bodies. I don't know if  mandatory retention and high bag limits would succeed in removing them from specific waters. In fact I seriously doubt it. In most cases populations grew from small illegal plantings or even by natural movement. I think there would be enough fish remaining to repopulate a lake etc once people got bored with the endless bonking of fish and the drop in numbers.

The Province has cleared some lakes with retenone. Maybe the Provincial Government needs to be pressured to provide more funding for that. However not all lakes can be successfully treated or should they be as some will have native salmon and trout populations,

Another approach has been to close lakes that have illegally established bass fisheries to reduce the motivation to transplant bass so the 'bucket brigade' won't infest other lakes.

The real solution is to find the people doing it, fine them, seize all their fishing tackle and revoke licenses for a number of years. Remove the root cause.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

poper

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 06:26:09 PM »

Brrrr lakes cold  ;D

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 09:43:52 PM »

I will destroy every Bass I catch. Always have. Even if they're in an enclosed system. There's always some moron ready to transport.

santefe

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 08:13:42 AM »

I agree, they do not belong here.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 10:50:22 AM »

-- Invasive species are defined as organisms (plant, animal, fungus, or bacterium) that are not native and has negative effects on a region's economy, environment, or public health.
-- Note the "and" thus just being not native does not mean the species is invasive. It may be invasive in one area but not another.
-- Labeling something invasive should not be used as an excuse to abuse the critters. Properly managed these species can provide fishing opportunities, especially in urban areas...and areas where water temperature or water chemistry has become not suitable for native cold water species.   

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 11:23:25 AM »

Smallmouth Bass in the PacificNorthwest: A Threat to Native Species; a Benefit for Anglers

http://depts.washington.edu/oldenlab/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/ReviewsFisheriesScience_2011.pdf

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 12:00:54 PM »

Smallmouth Bass in the PacificNorthwest: A Threat to Native Species; a Benefit for Anglers

http://depts.washington.edu/oldenlab/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/ReviewsFisheriesScience_2011.pdf

--This is well worth reading, and of course, provides plenty of fodder for those who wish to quote out of context portions of the report to support their own conclusions.
--The key is (in my view) site-specific management is possible. This includes eradication in some areas and enhancement in others. The best practices management requires up to date information and anglers can be a part of the information gathering if we so choose and if we demand it.