Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing boundary  (Read 5329 times)

obie1fish

Fishing boundary
« on: October 07, 2018, 04:14:49 PM »

I've been looking, but for the life of me I cannot find a definite statement as to what the Harrison boundary actually is. All I've found is a mention of "the confluence", but no reference to boundary markers. Also, I was wondering as to how well people have been behaving at the mouth of the Vedder with the boundary markers missing.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
Re: Fishing boundary
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 06:12:22 PM »

.......there are two white triangle boundary markers at the mouth of the Harrison.....one on the east bank south of the native boat launch the other on the west by calamity point
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 06:30:29 AM »

The triangle above the big rock at Calamity point is there. Look at the bank then look up. You'll have to be 30 feet to the bog rock or near the middle of the mouth to see it. If your up river on the west bank fishing the shore like everyone else you wont see it. Basically if you're fishing behind the rock you're in the Fraser. Its idiot proof really.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 07:56:11 AM by Hike_and_fish »

obie1fish

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 07:19:13 AM »

Thanks guys. I'll look for them and try not to be an iriot. ;D

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 01:16:39 AM »

The marker was always about 3/4 the way up from the big rock.  There is a bit of an indent in the bank just below where the tree fall now is.  That was where the triangle used to be.  I have not seen it in two seasons.
Not all those who wander are lost

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 05:55:09 AM »

The marker was always about 3/4 the way up from the big rock.  There is a bit of an indent in the bank just below where the tree fall now is.  That was where the triangle used to be.  I have not seen it in two seasons.

It's there. I see it three times a week

coyote spooner

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 08:11:54 AM »

These markers seem very hard to find.  The one at Dewdney slough is very hard to see, and the one on the opposite shore is non existent.  The mouth of the Vedder, is supposed to have them too.  But I can’t find them at all.  Anyone know where the Vedder/ Fraser boundary is??  Seems like DFO isn’t maintaining these markers.!!!

santefe

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 09:04:51 AM »

Try and find the marker at the Serpentine, its gone, well there is a, or was a post near the KGB.
It would be nice if the DFO would maintain boundary markers.

obie1fish

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 06:07:44 PM »

I don't know about the Serpentine, but the Harrison does tend to be fairly straightforward. As for the Vedder, they both got blown away, but it's a little more back from the actual confluence than the Harrison. The south side marker used to be at the first biggish rock about 100 yards upstream and across from the north side point. The tree that had the north side boundary sign blew down, but it was pretty much directly across from the south marker.
Even though both the Vedder boundaries and one of the Dewdney boundaries are no longer there, I would imagine that staying well inside the physical confluences would keep one out of trouble.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 09:57:03 PM »

Try and find the marker at the Serpentine, its gone, well there is a, or was a post near the KGB.
It would be nice if the DFO would maintain boundary markers.

What boundary marker on the Serpentine are you referring to? The tidal/ non tidal boundary is the railway bridge and the other boundaries are clearly indicated by a road (168 St). Perhaps you are referring to the provincial regulation of not fishing with 23 m of an obstacle? In that case it’s not DFO’s sign to replace and signs of those types are not consistently in place, for example, I’m not aware of one on the Nicomekl below the sea dam

santefe

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 10:10:32 PM »

I guess I am.  Slightly downstream of the dam or King George Blvd. there is a pole in the middle of the Serpentine.  This I believe is the boundary marker I was referring to.  Whether it is the DFO or the Province's responsibility it should be signed.

mcallagan

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 09:21:25 AM »

I have asked the DFO which crossing of 168th Street is the boundary for the Serpentine. It crosses 168th just after North View Golf Club and then again just before Bothwell Park.
I'm assuming it is the Bothwell Park as I have seen fishermen where it crosses 88th.

DFO have never gotten back nor have I seen any changes in the Salmon Supplement.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 09:59:42 AM »

Whether it is the DFO or the Province's responsibility it should be signed.

I see if differently. I agree it should be the appropriate authority's responsibility to maintain boundary markers at confluences, as those can be ill defined. But when it comes to a regulation that is easily defined, such as no fishing within 23m of an obstacle, at some point, I think the angler bears some responsibility for awareness and compliance without government handholding.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 10:22:56 AM »

I have asked the DFO which crossing of 168th Street is the boundary for the Serpentine. It crosses 168th just after North View Golf Club and then again just before Bothwell Park.
I'm assuming it is the Bothwell Park as I have seen fishermen where it crosses 88th.

DFO have never gotten back nor have I seen any changes in the Salmon Supplement.

the Provincial synopsis specifies 168th at Bothwell Park.

SERPENTINE RIVER 2-4 No Fishing upstream of 168th St. at Bothwell Park
No Fishing downstream of 168th St. at Bothwell Park, Apr 1-June 30
Downstream of 168th St. at Bothwell Park: No Fishing only from 21:00 hours to 05:00 hours each day,Aug 1-Dec 31
No angling from powered boats upstream of dyke gates
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 10:40:47 AM »

the Provincial synopsis specifies 168th at Bothwell Park.

However mcallagan is correct that the Salmon Supplement just specifies 168 Street.

It would stand to reason that the supplement would be referring to the same boundary at Bothwell as the provincial synopsis.