Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ocean Fishing Suggestions?  (Read 2375 times)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Ocean Fishing Suggestions?
« on: October 02, 2018, 06:36:50 PM »

My dad's friend got into fishing this year. He went to Army & Navy and bought a spincasting rod for sockeye, along with some bottom bouncing gear, for himself and his two sons. They went out fishing and didn't catch anything.

My dad's friend is now borrowing a friend's boat this weekend and invited me and my dad fishing. He and his sons know nothing about fishing. My dad and I have done some ocean charters but that's the extent of our saltwater experience. Any suggestions on where to go and what to target? We'll be leaving out of Deep Cove, hoping to be on the water for 5-6 hours, have bulky spincasting rods but no downriggers.

I don't care what we catch but I would like to get my dad's friend and sons into some fish. I can go by the fishing store and pick up a few things before the weekend but don't want to spend more than $50 or so.

I assume salmon is out due to gear limitations. From my reading of the regs, no rockfish retention in area 28. Nor lingcod. Maybe jig for sole? Seems kind of lame but not sure how many other options we have. Is casting spoons viable? Suggestions would be appreciated. My main motivation is keeping them both entertained and fishing legally  ::)

Fatso

Re: Ocean Fishing Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 06:57:15 PM »

What Area is 28?  Deep Cove?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 07:24:00 PM »

Can toss spoons spinners and buzzboms for coho along the west van shoreline from Roger curtis to mouth of Capilano.

Their are other method like trolling with a deep six and trolling gear or motching but would require some significant Money spending. Deep six, flasher, spoons,hootchies teaser heads anchovies

Their are some decent you tube videos out their for fishing for sole in Vancouver.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 07:30:46 PM »

What Area is 28?  Deep Cove?
Pretty much, the area runs from around Lions Gate bridge all the way up Indian Arm. We'll be leaving out of Deep Cove.

Fatso

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 11:22:05 AM »

I would just go out for the boat ride.  If its sunny you will be in heaven.

Go crab fishing at Cates Park? or Belcarra?

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 01:02:05 PM »

Drop a couple wire leaders and chunks of herring for dogfish just about anywhere between lighthouse and Stanley park.

Fatso

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 09:00:40 AM »

Hi. So what happened? Where did you end up going? What’d ya catch?

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 05:47:09 PM »

Well the weather turned out to be rainy but we went out anyways.

Dropped crab traps in Deep Cove. Went up the arm and dropped prawn traps at a spot on the boat owner's GPS. Went back down South of Belcarra and tried jigging for a bit but the current was too strong to stay near the bottom. We didn't have an anchor.

Headed over to the Cap mouth and trolled spoons with some 2-3 oz weights on them. Didn't have flashers because we're noobs ;) No bites at the Cap.

Back to the crab trap, we had 5 males that were all 2-5 mm too small. Took a rip up to the prawn traps and they were snagged on the bottom. After some farting around we pulled one up and it was empty. There was a lost crab buoy stuck on the top of the trap but it fell off as the trap was being pulled up and we lost it. The bottom of the second prawn trap had opened, I assume because of the earlier snag. It was also empty.

So we got nothing in several different ways  ;D It's always a good time being out on the water though. I've been out a bunch on ocean charters but it's (not surprisingly) much more difficult doing it on your own!

Fatso

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 07:39:34 PM »

Oh well....Practice! Practice! Practice!  ;D