Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clarki: 1 Seal:0  (Read 2285 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Clarki: 1 Seal:0
« on: October 01, 2018, 09:19:03 PM »

I was fishing the tidewater from shore this evening, and hooked a coho on a spinner. The fish made a couple of strong runs to my left, and I was aware that my screaming reel and his splashing might catch the eye of one of the nearby seals. It did  :(  and there was a large boil in the area where the fish was.

The fish escaped, but the seal had him herded up along the shore and, 40 feet to my left, the seal lunged out of the water and partly onto the shore in another attempt to grab him.

Somehow, miraculously, the coho escaped again and this time he ran along the shore back towards me while I reeled like a madman trying to keep up. He zipped past me just a few feet offshore with the drag slowing him to a stop about 6 feet away to my right.

Not wanting to mess with the net, I grabbed the leader and lifted him onto the shore, just a little bit concerned that the seal was not far behind and  would lunge after him again, with me in very close proximity!

I admired the chrome wild coho and while I would normally revive the fish in the water, there was no way I was going to hold that fish by the tail in the water. So I gave him headfirst shot into the water and sent him on his way.

Just a little exciting :) 

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: Clarki: 1 Seal:0
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 09:35:57 PM »

Awesome story! I battled the loons at Tunkwa this summer and it was similarly harrowing by the sound of it :P

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 10:04:24 PM »

Just a little exciting :)

Very exciting for me just reading this story.
It ain't the roe bro'

Tylsie

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 11:10:48 PM »

Good Story. Reminds me of the time I was fishing a smaller local river that gets pounded by seals. There is a little narrow point that sticks into the water, getting shallow on both sides. I was at the very end of it, casting to my left when I noticed a few coho and a big spring bee-lining past my feet into maybe a foot of water. I remember wondering what is going on when suddenly a huge splash and crash erupted from just behind me. I have no problem admitting that I jumped and screamed like a little girl, almost fell into the river. I quickly turn around a seal had come in full bore chasing the school from my right and pinned them against the bank; the water was only inches deep so it was mostly exposed. By the time I turned around he was just going back into the water with a fish in his mouth.  This little point is maybe 8' long so I am guess it was maybe 5'' from me. They sure seem a lot bigger that close up. 

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 10:54:31 AM »

I remember wondering what is going on when suddenly a huge splash and crash erupted from just behind me. I have no problem admitting that I jumped and screamed like a little girl, almost fell into the river. ..They sure seem a lot bigger that close up.

Even 40-50 feet away he was huge! I would have been screaming along with you!

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 11:39:24 AM »

About ten years ago while shore fishing for sturgeon on lower fraser the water erupted right at my feet as a seal chased a chum right up onto the mud in front of me. I don't know who was more frightened me or the seal when it saw me. Chum flopped around for a sec in the mud and I'm sure if I wasn't standing there the seal would've had him. Pretty cool.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 12:15:29 PM »

No shortage of seals in the harrison yesterday

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 12:32:40 PM »

I remember 2 years ago fishing the stave with roe. Maybe middle to late September trying for early fish. And this adolecent seal decided to play tag with my float..... I sat there for maybe 5 minutes not knowing what to do until he rolled right over my float and hooked himself. I believe I actually have a video though it's not child friendly. Also about 6 years ago me and my father were fishing the toilet bowl and a seal chased a chum right through my father's legs and almost took him out at the knees. Hilarious to me not to him lol.