Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave parking  (Read 34288 times)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
Stave parking
« on: September 14, 2018, 10:35:29 PM »

Anyone been up to the Stave this year?  Is the damn dam finished yet, or is it still park and walk this season?
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

ShaunO

Re: Stave parking
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 10:49:45 PM »

Signs are still up at Keystone, so if you're heading in near the toilet bowl, you're humping it.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 11:18:17 PM »

Signs are still up at Keystone, so if you're heading in near the toilet bowl, you're humping it.

Thanks, ShaunO!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 06:43:08 AM »

Out of curiosity did any body get ticketed or towed parking on the west side last year? Tow trucks can drive by and pick out any of the dozens of cars parked at the no parking signs during chum season.
 Kind of dumb they removed parking on the river side of the road.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 08:26:33 AM »

Out of curiosity did any body get ticketed or towed parking on the west side last year? Tow trucks can drive by and pick out any of the dozens of cars parked at the no parking signs during chum season.
 Kind of dumb they removed parking on the river side of the road.

I know of one day last year where a bunch of vehicles were towed. I was at the base of the dam in my boat and heard guys yelling " They're towing cars".

mcallagan

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 05:51:20 PM »

I know in Vancouver that you have to be ticketed first before they can tow your vehicle.
Would that be provincial or municipal law?

I have seen Red light flashing along that shore from my boat.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 06:06:51 PM »

I cant give a straight answer but perhaps parking in that hazard flood plane has some to do with it.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 08:21:48 PM »

The no parking signs were removed from in front of the parking area on the west side (across from the trailer park) sometime between last chum season and this summer. Not sure if the signs will be put up again once the gong show starts. Nothing has changed on the east side since last fall.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 09:15:16 PM »

the lower west side as stated has parking at the 1st pull out. The shoreline is drastically different there from a year or two ago so be careful, Its eroded almost up to the grass.

Take all garbage home and please consider using a travel mug or a thermos, if you can afford all the gear you can afford a travel mug.

Also for those new to chum fishing please take a look at floating jigs, it works very well and you wont loose time and gear snagging on bottom.

Have a safe and productive salmon season everybody!

ShaunO

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 10:43:32 AM »

the lower west side as stated has parking at the 1st pull out. The shoreline is drastically different there from a year or two ago so be careful, Its eroded almost up to the grass.

Take all garbage home and please consider using a travel mug or a thermos, if you can afford all the gear you can afford a travel mug.

Also for those new to chum fishing please take a look at floating jigs, it works very well and you wont loose time and gear snagging on bottom.

Have a safe and productive salmon season everybody!

GREAT Advice!!!

Building on that, there is also no need for 80lb braid on surf rods.   Short float a jig and you'll find them... time after time. 

obie1fish

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 08:00:34 PM »

...after time, after time... 8) Absolutely right, ShaunO.
I enjoy tying up my own jigs for chums- it's actually one of my favourite fisheries. I tend to have the most consistent success using a version of Rod Toth's Dog Pounder.
I was wondering if anyone had a good chum jig pattern based solely on very cheap and simple materials, such as wool, that an angler could wind up without equipment like a vise. The thought is to make it jig fishing accessible to people who can't afford $6 a jig.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 10:06:38 PM »

The thought is to make it jig fishing accessible to people who can't afford $6 a jig.
Go check out the Stave in December at low tide. Bring a hiking pole + fishing net and you can find a good amount of river treasure! (Dislodge and push the jig into the net using the hiking pole. Waders help too) Probably half my jigs come from winter trips to the Stave :P

ShaunO

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 11:06:59 PM »

...after time, after time... 8) Absolutely right, ShaunO.
I enjoy tying up my own jigs for chums- it's actually one of my favourite fisheries. I tend to have the most consistent success using a version of Rod Toth's Dog Pounder.
I was wondering if anyone had a good chum jig pattern based solely on very cheap and simple materials, such as wool, that an angler could wind up without equipment like a vise. The thought is to make it jig fishing accessible to people who can't afford $6 a jig.

I've been stocking up on jig hooks, pins and beads.  Fishing chum is a blast and is something I really look forward to each year, too.  When I tie up my own jigs I use an ungodly amount pink and purple maribou and use a bit of uv dubbing thread to wrap it up.  I'm sure when the chums are thick that you could almost zip tie purple and pink wool to a hook in a pinch.  Perhaps I'll try it as an experiment.

P.S. I was on the east side and got hit with the torrential downpour and thunder.  I didn't put in much time, but the water was up a bit over last week, still gin clear... and free of fish.

243Pete

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 03:14:35 AM »

Go check out the Stave in December at low tide. Bring a hiking pole + fishing net and you can find a good amount of river treasure! (Dislodge and push the jig into the net using the hiking pole. Waders help too) Probably half my jigs come from winter trips to the Stave :P

Check some of the lower parts of the river (bring a small net with a good long handle) and you can sometimes find a fair number of floats that have stuck themselves into the rocks and brush.

Not sure if it would work well but you could always cut two pieces of wool, stretch out the fibers so they sit a little longer than an inch from the bend of the hook, put some flash/ tinsel either in the middle or the sides where the two pieces meet and tie it in with some mono/ braid/ zip-tie, it would have a nice little flow or swim motion but that one doesn't quite get them like my own little design which worked well for myself and a others that I have given jigs out to.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 11:39:01 AM »

I can attest to the success of the 243pete special!