Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave parking  (Read 34287 times)

Vancouver_2010

Re: Stave parking
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2018, 11:59:58 PM »

Sounds like a great day Dubs!

Figured I'd throw this here rather than starting a new topic (as it partially applies to the Stave), but I was wondering if someone could offer some clarification of the regs.
At the top of the DFO page, it states: "There is no fishing for salmon in Region 2 except for the opportunities listed in the table below".
Does this mean that if you were to say fish the Cheakamus with the goal of catching and releasing chum, you would technically be in violation of the regulations because there are no opportunities listed for chum? Or are you free to practice catch and release on any river as long as it does not explicitly state "No fishing for salmon"?
I realize I am very likely over-thinking this, but it came up in a conversation the other day and I couldn't come up with a straight answer.
As I write this, I also see now that the Stave becomes "Non-retention", so that is a bit more clear.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2018, 08:18:29 AM »

I was there yesterday. A lot of chums caught are already in bad shape. Found some nice ones in a hole. It seems the nicer ones are only in some pockets.  Some people didn't even know yesterday was the last day for retention. I guess they'll get a good education from a DFO occifer this week.

Outdoorsman

« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2018, 01:38:22 PM »

I seem to recall someone bringing up a valid point that a lot of these "fishermen" don't know how to properly or ethically fish for salmon as they are new to the sport. Everyone started somewhere. Maybe with a little guidance we can help clean up the image that the Stave has unfortunately. Here is a prime example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvU9c9V0XH0

If you read in the comments the guy admits to being new to fishing. He got his info on how to fish from "https://www.gosalmonfishing.com/backtrolling-backbouncing.php" .... which is essentially bottom bouncing with a lure or bait. But if someone was to properly show him a jig under a float and short leader...maybe he would try that method instead. A lot of these people don't know any better. Yes, some you will never get through their head, but some do listen.

likely

« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2018, 01:51:11 PM »

drove by today and took a walk there were lots people fishing for chum

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2018, 02:03:57 PM »

Saw the same. I was in the Stave just to see what was going on and I saw LOTS of people. 7 boats with 3 or more people on board. Also saw a few Chum bonked.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2018, 08:34:53 PM »

So am I still allowed to go and push some singles out of a doe and send her back on her way? :o

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2018, 04:42:57 PM »

Hopefully they send some COs out to educate the public. I'm sure the gong show will continue next weekend :P

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2018, 07:59:51 PM »

Would c&r be frowned upon in this system?

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2018, 08:18:12 PM »

Would c&r be frowned upon in this system?
Nope. Once word gets around that it's no longer legal to retain fish, there should be a lot fewer people.  Enjoy your space.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2018, 08:57:14 PM »

Nope. Once word gets around that it's no longer legal to retain fish, there should be a lot fewer people.  Enjoy your space.

coho fishing can be very good there...
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2018, 09:45:59 PM »

Second day in a row there for me. I showed up at 8am and left at 2. Not one authority figure in sight. I have a feeling this will be enforced just as much as the "No targeting Salmon" was at the Sumas Fraser in September. I feel that these closures this season or simply smoke and mirrors.

bobby b

« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2018, 10:19:28 AM »

I drove by yesterday around 3:30 ish...Stopped at the road on the west side. CO’s were definitely there. I saw the CO’s giving tickets to two guys that were going to their car with fish! I hope they were at least going down to check people too, and not just waiting to see who’s carrying fish back to the road.

243Pete

« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2018, 11:01:25 AM »

Going to hope they put some undercover CO's on the West side and East side like they did last year, but it's good to hear that enforcement is being done as a LOT of people are either ignoring the rules or know nothing about the closure of chum retention across multiple systems.

Saturday was a gong show but the chum this year are acting more like coho as they are mostly shooting up river and only biting on certain patterns, pretty funny to watch the frustrations of some anglers as you can see a pod surface while moving up, everyone casts to them and maybe one or two float downs.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2018, 12:44:07 PM »

I drove by yesterday around 3:30 ish...Stopped at the road on the west side. CO’s were definitely there. I saw the CO’s giving tickets to two guys that were going to their car with fish! I hope they were at least going down to check people too, and not just waiting to see who’s carrying fish back to the road.

They need license plate and a retained fish to ensure ticket .

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2018, 01:00:57 PM »

They need license plate and a retained fish to ensure ticket .
What if the offender was riding his bike ?