Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 156444 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Another beauty day on the Chilliwack/Vedder River. It started out a bit cold but things were good once the sun poked through. Lots of nice looking chum salmon were caught in the lower river once again, with the odd coho mixed in between. Water clarity was better than the weekend. This rain in the forecast for tomorrow may change things.
That is a nice one after speaking to you I made my first duck/ goose hunting trip for this season. 3 shots and one mallard and a 12 pound goose. Back fishing tomorrow, no rain yet here in the Valley so will be good tomorrow AM. I think I will try your hot spot, may even try a jig. :-\

Maybe see you there.

ribolovac02

If you are just getting a hang off BC fishing , keep doing what you are doing , talk to seasoned anglers collect as much info you can , it will eventually all start to make sence ...
It’s not easy , even for experienced anglers these days to catch fish every time.
Seems to me you are on the right track and reward will come eventually ,  the feeling will be great then .
As far as taking kids with you and trying to entertain them , trout fishing local lakes or Pikeminnows in local sloughs are the best way to get them to catch a fish .
This time of the year ,is starting to get harder to do what you are trying , but spring comes around , should be very easy to catch a fish with a bober and a worm to keep the little once happy .

Also next year is a pink year , so catching a salmon should become much easier for you , let’s hope they show up in good numbers upcoming season ...

Cheers and good luck on your learning journey , keep it up and it will pay off I garantee you .

YESFISH

That spot is a way out place to have a breakin for CohoJake.  We might start using cameras to catch these people and post tgem on here so they are blacklisted    if they grabbef a garage opener for your specic home in Washington, its high liklihood it is surveid and protected with guns or other means.  Not a good choice unless they are suicidal.    >:(
 :P  Does everyone think there is still chum coming?

clarki

• Old Timer

Is it common to struggle this much when first starting out here? It's incredibly frustrating, especially when I'm bringing my son and trying to keep him interested in fishing here.

It absolutely is frustrating and, yes, it is common. You are in good company!

Consider that you serving an apprenticeship. It takes time to successfully put all the pieces together (salmon species, timing, preferred river structure, reading the water, water conditions, tackle, presentation...) Riblovac had a great suggestion of talking to seasoned anglers. Better yet, go fishing with some if you can. A fishing mentor like that can sharply reduce the learning curve.

Are you new to angling and rivers, or new to angling and rivers in BC?  Reason why I ask is that if you have fished much before, you already have a "fish sense" and it's a smoother transition to river salmon in BC. I had a buddy who was a successful fly angler in streams and lakes for trout. I introduced him to drift fishing for coho and it didn't take him long to make the adjustment. Having experience as an angler, particularly in rivers, can really help.

As far as kids, the salmon fishery can be a tough one with crowds, wet/cold weather, wading... How old is your son? Riblovac had another great suggestion of finding fishing opportunities in the spring more suited to kids. I have a lot of spots under my belt that I have taken my kids, and others, to over the years. PM me and we'll talk :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Very heavy rain overnight and now, water will be questionable.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

River level climbing sharply now unfortunately.

bobby b

Was out yesterday and fished mostly mid/upper.  Took a while but, in the late afternoon, I did come across a small school of Coho at a run that was void of people!
I've been fishing mostly with Centerpin and Fly rod, but I also brought along a spin rod that was setup with a twitching Jig ( Chartreuse/Pink ). I hate carrying too much gear with me, but I have heard so much about Coho/Jig fishing being a very successful technique, I decided to give it a go. My wife has a small telescopic spinning rod so I took it along as it easily fit in my pack.

When I got to this spot, I could see fish finning/rising/jumping in the soft water section near the end of the run, so I started out with the Jig. Lo and behold .....3 casts in and wham, got a chrome beauty 6lb Hatchery buck!  Within the next few casts I got another....I let it go as this one was a wild buck. Things slowed a little after that... I did get 2 more fish on, but lost 'em during their aerial acrobatics! After that ...nothin', did not see any more fish. I think I just lucked out and found a small pod at rest.

Was a great day to be out, I did not see very many people at all on the river. The wife was happy that I at least brought home 1 fish that I caught on her little rod! 

In the right water, twitching Jigs just plain work!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 10:19:56 AM by bobby b »

psd1179

• Old Timer

Was out yesterday and fished mostly mid/upper.  Took a while but, in the late afternoon, I did come across a small school of Coho at a run that was void of people!
I've been fishing mostly with Centerpin and Fly rod, but I also brought along a spin rod that was setup with a twitching Jig ( Chartreuse/Pink ). I hate carrying too much gear with me, but I have heard so much about Coho/Jig fishing being a very successful technique, I decided to give it a go. My wife has a small telescopic spinning rod so I took it along as it easily fit in my pack.

When I got to this spot, I could see fish finning/rising/jumping in the soft water section near the end of the run, so I started out with the Jig. Lo and behold .....3 casts in and wham, got a chrome beauty 6lb Hatchery buck!  Within the next few casts I got another....I let it go as this one was a wild buck. Things slowed a little after that... I did get 2 more fish on, but lost 'em during their aerial acrobatics! After that ...nothin', did not see any more fish. I think I just lucked out and found a small pod at rest.

Was a great day to be out, I did not see very many people at all on the river. The wife was happy that I at least brought home 1 fish that I caught on her little rod! 

In the right water, twitching Jigs just plain work!

Nice. What is the weight of the jigs? I tied some, but they don't sink well. after a few twitching, it is alway stay just below surface.

bobby b

I used a 3/8oz Jig. The water was not too deep.

standalone

This is my first season fishing this river. Been there six or seven times now, not a single bite. Watched every video and read every bit of info I could find (thanks for the videos Rod!). Roe, yarn, spinners, flies, I've tried everything I've been told would work and have been skunked every time.

have you seen fishmen around you caught fish? if not you are not on Rod's hot spot. your method seemed all right.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

I haven't seen people around me catching fish.... Actually I haven't seen people around most of the season. ;D

clarki

• Old Timer

Nice. What is the weight of the jigs? I tied some, but they don't sink well. after a few twitching, it is alway stay just below surface.

Unless you are fishing micro jigs like 1/8 or 1/16, or fishing real heavy water, I suspect what you described is caused by technique not jig weight.

psd1179

• Old Timer

Unless you are fishing micro jigs like 1/8 or 1/16, or fishing real heavy water, I suspect what you described is caused by technique not jig weight.

The jig head is light weight jig head. I would like to try texas rig with a tube fly later. Most of the jigs I tied has ended up in the river bottom.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

The heavy rain took its toll as the water had little visibility. Unfortunately it has that clay look to it, meaning clay slides have open up after the last high water.

Filmed a video and shot some pictures of a crew sampling chum salmon morts. Lots of chum in the spawning channel at channel counted 50 from the bridge at the end of Webster and that was not far up and down from the Bridge that I could see. It looks like the chum salmon run is doing better than some people thought.I will get a video up of the sampling crew and pictures will be on the FVSS FB page tomorrow..

Could they be looking for the FF virus. ::)

essyoo

@ ribolovac02, clarki, and standalone: thanks for the response!

Not new to fishing, grew up fishing the okanagan and interior lakes and streams for trout. Mainly fly fishing. This is my first real attempt at salmon fishing though. My son is nearly 12 and got the bug for fishing this summer and it got me back into it as well.

Most everyone I've met at the river have been really helpful and a tackle shop near work (First Light in Burnaby) have been really great with info also. One older guy was showing me this last weekend how he was catching fish and even gave me a chunk of the yarn he's been using and helped me set up my gear like his. I realized  after that I've probably not been fishing deep enough in the water, which is probably part of my problem. Nearly every time I've been out, I've been the only one in the area I'm fishing to have NOT caught a fish, which only adds to the frustration. So I guess if you want to catch fish, come fishing with me?