Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 156448 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I really love those little Dipper Birds and they are a joy to watch. Some of then around Allison are almost tame. I wish you would stop saying terrible things about these sweet little creatures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyFEbuy8RUg
Right on, lets call them human dippers. :D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Did you manage to retrieve that float Chris?
Another 45 today and some garbage off the log jams before I went to the Gill Road Cleanup. Pictures of the cleanup on The FVSS FB page.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

You're clearly getting ready for the used fishing tackle sale... ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

You're clearly getting ready for the used fishing tackle sale... ;)
Yes I may need two tables as I have a few hundred now maybe over a thousand or more. I did not find the 2 Maple Leaf Drennan's I lost last week, heading out a first light to continue to look for them.lol

Finding floats is as much fun as fishing as I get garbage off the river too and a few tins, bottles and even the odd full beer. ;D Also found a styrofoam wrap with a bunch of lures on it and a nice spoon and 2 spinning glows one number zero? :o ;D

salmonrook

TB flow , Friday,
Meant to post Yesterday ...
 https://youtu.be/FjVZb58Y9Vc

Went for a drive up the Hatchery,  chum and they looked like Jack chinook , not very big , but lots of them .
I don't think there was too many cohos …..

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

TB flow , Friday,
Meant to post Yesterday ...
 https://youtu.be/FjVZb58Y9Vc

Went for a drive up the Hatchery,  chum and they looked like Jack chinook , not very big , but lots of them .
I don't think there was too many cohos …..
FOC staff said they have had 16,000 plus coho so far.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Season's over! ;D ;D ;D
Yes you are correct as the river will take a while to clear up now and the coho salmon will all be in the hatchery. It also looks like some clay slides have opened up which would be bad news.

Any word on how the human dippers did today as that is an indicator if there is still fish passing through? The only dipper i saw on the river this am was a bird dipper on a 90 minute walk. 38 more floats for Rodney's Used Tackle Sale. ;D ;D ;D

milo

• Old Timer

38 more floats for Rodney's Used Tackle Sale. ;D ;D ;D
How come people lose so many floats? 
What are leaders for? Among other things, to break THEM off and NOT the main line when you foul hook a big fish or hit a snag.
Good for you Chris. I hope you find the missing Maple Leaf Drennan.

psd1179

• Old Timer

What are leaders for? Among other things, to break THEM off and NOT the main line when you foul hook a big fish or hit a snag.

snagged the bottom

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

snagged the bottom

If you snag the bottom, your line should break at the leader which should be weaker than your mainline and therefore you dont lose anything above your swivel.

Not saying ive never broken off and lost a float but......

I agree with Milo,s curiosity as to why so many floats.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Someone's been chumming with floats further upstream to lure Chris out to the river so garbage could be picked up. ;)

River is slowly steadily dropping and should be back in shape in a couple of days. :D Season's over though like chris said, go somewhere else. ;D

salmonrook

FOC staff said they have had 16,000 plus coho so far.
I'm assuming these are already processed and that the majority of the run is done.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I seldom break off and lose a float but did last week twice, as my main line was too old, was too lazy to change it. I usually use 10 pound nain and 8 pound test leader.

psd1179

• Old Timer

I seldom break off and lose a float but did last week twice, as my main line was too old, was too lazy to change it. I usually use 10 pound nain and 8 pound test leader.

Many broke everything because the sinker set too deep. not only hook snagged the bottom. the weight also stucked between rocks or branches.

I use 40lb braid main, 12lb -15lb leader. Rarely lose anything.

MetalAndFeathers

Many broke everything because the sinker set too deep. not only hook snagged the bottom. the weight also stucked between rocks or branches.

I use 40lb braid main, 12lb -15lb leader. Rarely lose anything.
But are you getting em?