Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 156458 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

6lbs is big? Overall fish I have encountered run 3 to 4lbs though I did take 2 nice ones last week of 5.75 and 6.5lbs. Yesterday I caught one wild fish that must have been 3 and a chum in fairly good shape of 8 or 9lbs. Lots of more fish visible this week
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Robert_G

I didn’t write that. Either moderators edited my post or you can’t say you think someone is a
m o r o n which is what I wrote

If you look closely, it was Ralph I quoted on the 2nd comment, not you.

BBarley

Went out for the evening, as others have stated the water is very low and clear. Found a nice little slot that was holding coho. Went through my progression of lures with abolsutely nothing working, finally went to my Stellako rig only under a Cleardrift instead of on the fly rod (mottled steelhead bead) and had 3 coho as the daylight faded. Plenty of dogs milling about below the coho which was nice to see. Really interesting to see how close the fish will come in to shore even under the bright sun in ultra low water when there’s nobody standing knee deep justifying their waders ;D

DanL

• Old Timer

In the lower below the crossing today, the water went quite turbid around noon. Vis went from gin clear down to ~3-ish ft but started to clear up a bit a couple hours later. Must have been a slide or something upstream?

Oddly the first light bite did not really happen where I was at last couple days, but was decently spotty from ~8-1pm. We'd get several float downs and hit a couple in the space of 10-15 mins then nothing for an hour (or more), then a new pod moves in and you get some furious action before it goes dead again. It kind of payed off to fence-post as you'd never know when the next batch would cruise on by. Decent size to them this year. The smallest was 4.7lb and the largest was 7.2 according to the digital scale.

psd1179

• Old Timer

Went out for the evening, as others have stated the water is very low and clear. Found a nice little slot that was holding coho. Went through my progression of lures with abolsutely nothing working, finally went to my Stellako rig only under a Cleardrift instead of on the fly rod (mottled steelhead bead) and had 3 coho as the daylight faded. Plenty of dogs milling about below the coho which was nice to see. Really interesting to see how close the fish will come in to shore even under the bright sun in ultra low water when there’s nobody standing knee deep justifying their waders ;D

Very nice:)

CohoJake

• Old Timer

In the lower below the crossing today, the water went quite turbid around noon. Vis went from gin clear down to ~3-ish ft but started to clear up a bit a couple hours later. Must have been a slide or something upstream?

Oddly the first light bite did not really happen where I was at last couple days, but was decently spotty from ~8-1pm. We'd get several float downs and hit a couple in the space of 10-15 mins then nothing for an hour (or more), then a new pod moves in and you get some furious action before it goes dead again. It kind of payed off to fence-post as you'd never know when the next batch would cruise on by. Decent size to them this year. The smallest was 4.7lb and the largest was 7.2 according to the digital scale.
I wonder  - were you below Hopedale rd?  Could it have come from the heavy equipment working streamside?  Was this late action on roe?   :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

:o :P :-X Forget about getting a spot today as we  drove by the Canal 2 hours ago, going for a coffee and the headlights were already glowing at some of the favorite spots.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

Went up top and the water was great. Man I love this river in the fall...

bobby b

:o :P :-X Forget about getting a spot today as we  drove by the Canal 2 hours ago, going for a coffee and the headlights were already glowing at some of the favorite spots.

Yeah... no kidding... the canal was crowded!

Found a nice peaceful run up river a bit ... only saw 3 others come in the whole day!
While ‘practice casting’ my new switch rod I managed to land 2 Coho ... both wild, and lost one too..also got 1 Chum on the fly too!!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 09:26:25 PM by bobby b »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Went out for 45 minutes in the Canal near dark, saw 3  caught, 2 jacks coho salmon and one chum salmon.

A couple of disturbing things anglers should know better not to do. These fellows were dressed with all the great gear with good rods too. One, after having a smoke he throws the butt into the river. ::) :'(

Another lands a chum and another chap picks it up holding it by the head in the gill area and shows it to another person, I guess to show what species it was, after about 30 seconds of holding it this way, out of the water too he tosses it back in the water. ???

On the way out I picked up 3 plastic bags, 2 beer cans and a coffee cup to prevent them from being washed down river in the rising tide, one bag was filled with Borax.

No wonder our environment and fish are in trouble,I left shaking my head. Some would say I should speak to them about this but what good would that do as one would think they should know better. I guess posting it here may help some. :-\

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

enough bad behavior visible on the V-C for some to say sport angling for salmon there should be shut down.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

avid angler

Typical Ralph solution. We should probably open up a ceremonial fishery on the vedder as well.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

Typical Ralph solution. We should probably open up a ceremonial fishery on the vedder as well.

Why not. Most government run hatcheries end up being food banks for some FN bands one way or another. Us too.

avid angler

Why not. Most government run hatcheries end up being food banks for some FN bands one way or another. Us too.

They can have them when they get to the hatchery. We don’t need the vedder turning into mountain bar

DanL

• Old Timer

Was this late action on roe?   :)

I was mostly using roe, but saw coho hooked on spoons, spinners, blades, etc intermittently throughout the whole day, even in the bright sun. Every technique I saw had success at some point, except on the fly.

I think we just happened to be in the right spot at the right time, and the actively moving fish were willing to bite. I'd been to that spot several times the last couple weeks and it was usually pretty slow previously.