Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 156447 times)

fic

• Old Timer

I drove over the canal in the afternoon yesterday. There were a dozen people on the bridge spectating the action immediately below the bridge.  As for the fishing, I saw them move through where I was fishing, but they weren't interested in biting any of my offerings.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

No shortage of fish this morning, stubborn fish that is. ;D Three quick bites in a row at first light only yielded one wild 4lber, then spent a couple of hours watching nice coho rolling all over the place. Couldn't see any so-called rippers around, lots of room, so good morning after all. ;)

Re: Canal. It indeed gets busy especially with conditions like what we have right now, but plenty of people fish effectively and respectfully. Of course there'll be a percentage of people who don't know what they are doing and are learning, eventually they'll figure it out with some guidance by more experienced anglers. The ones who intentionally practice illegal methods or don't respect others only make up a small minority.

One of our favourite days in recent years was being able to hook into a couple dozen coho at a tailout in the canal with everyone else fishing above but their float depths were all not shallow enough to get some proper bites. I rarely fish the canal now, mostly because I just don't have the time.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2011/10/08/the-perfect-day/

BBarley

Why do you assume everyone fishing the canal is a flosser/snagger? Last time I fished along with 10 other guys - all friendly and respectful, shortfloating roe and having a good time. Not a single snagged fish to see that day and everyone had a good time.

Sorry to have offended you and others who ethically fish the canal, my intent wasn't to paint everyone with the same brush that fishes there. I like others on this board enjoy solitude when fishing and avoid crowds if at all possible but thats my personal choice as you are entitled to your own.

DanL

• Old Timer

I feel like you have given me enough to go off that not being around that particular area is in my best interest. Guys standing side by side flossing out the salmon in the ugly ol canal probably won't lead to any revolutionary discoveries that will enhance my fishing experience/knowledge moving forward.

Honestly dont let that stop you from exploring and fishing the canal. There really are some very nice drifts to be had. As others have said, it's not really a snag-fest, or anything like that. But being so accessible, it's going to draw some good crowds, it is what it is.  It's not always a gong show, either. Some days you'll get a nice run to yourself and the next day it will be a zoo. The canal is not my first choice of destination either but I venture down there a few times a year and and it's always a good time for one reason or another.

If you value solitude above all else, then sure, maybe the canal isn't your thing. Or hit it in the evening/last light when many people have already left.

clarki

• Old Timer

I prefer not to fish the canal above KWB. It's relatively feature-less, there are high banks on either side, and honestly, I find it a little boring. 

I much prefer the beauty and complexity of the river valley environs further upstream.         

bobby b

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
 I have a pic of my wife holding a big spring, caught in the canal. Green grass on the banks behind her, rolling clouds over the mountains in the background...and a great smile on her face.  Take each moment as they come...

tight lines...

blueback

Hey Guys,
How're the water conditions? Any recent reports? Afraid it may blow out if too much rain.

bobby b

Well the graph shows a steady sharp rise.... don't think it will blow out but will prob be a day or two before it clears up...  We sure needed the rain though. Should be a good amount of fish coming in... lets hope so anyways..

https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/report/real_time_e.html?stn=08MH001

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

River above crossing was fishable this afternoon while Sweltzer was puking mud so it was brown downstream from the crossing. The entire river got dirty just before dark so most likely tomorrow morning is a no go.

CohoJake

• Old Timer

Can anybody give an update on visibility below the crossing this evening?  Still muddy?

BBarley

River was dropping into beautiful shape this afternoon with a ton of fish on the move. Sweltzer has a bit of cloud from the quarries and the mainstem upstream was ideal albeit higher........ fish were sitting right on shore in a couple feet of water. No need to get your wading boots wet in these conditions.

obie1fish

2-3 feet visibility in the mid-section later this afternoon. Fish rising, but couldn't find any takers in the 2 hours I was out. Chilly wind came up, and I noticed it came from the direction of some snow covered peaks. I have to spend a few more moments looking around at the views and not wired to my float. ::)

CohoJake

• Old Timer

I see it isn't done rising yet - apparently it must be raining quite a bit upriver, the graph is still climbing.  Guess I won't sneak out for a couple hours in the morning.  Should be great conditions for this weekend though.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

That is strange. Chilliwack is not showing any rain but river rising at the crossing.

CohoJake

• Old Timer

That is strange. Chilliwack is not showing any rain but river rising at the crossing.
Hopefully it is raining up in the Chilliwack Lake watershed - giving the lake a good recharge that will cause the river to drop more slowly.