Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 156288 times)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

@ ribolovac02, clarki, and standalone: thanks for the response!
 I realized  after that I've probably not been fishing deep enough in the water, which is probably part of my problem. Nearly every time I've been out, I've been the only one in the area I'm fishing to have NOT caught a fish, which only adds to the frustration. 

That doesn't sound right. First question I would ask is...are you fishing with a group of guys in fast water where their float to hook ratio is more than 3-4ft? If so, chances are those guys are flossing.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer

Not new to fishing, grew up fishing the okanagan and interior lakes and streams for trout. Mainly fly fishing. This is my first real attempt at salmon fishing though. My son is nearly 12 and got the bug for fishing this summer and it got me back into it as well.

Most everyone I've met at the river have been really helpful and a tackle shop near work (First Light in Burnaby) have been really great with info also. One older guy was showing me this last weekend how he was catching fish and even gave me a chunk of the yarn he's been using and helped me set up my gear like his. I realized  after that I've probably not been fishing deep enough in the water, which is probably part of my problem. Nearly every time I've been out, I've been the only one in the area I'm fishing to have NOT caught a fish, which only adds to the frustration. So I guess if you want to catch fish, come fishing with me?

What kind of water are you fishing?  Fast flow or slow?  Deep or shallow?

What species of salmon are people catching around you?  How long is their leader?  What species are you targeting, if any (yes, this is important)?  What is your set-up?  Baitcaster or spinning reel?  Braid or mono mainline.  Leader (size/length)?  Hooks (type/size)?

blaydRnr may have a point.  If you are fishing water where the fish are not biting and people are flossing/snagging, then it's a good thing you are not hooking any.  Don't get me wrong.  There are times when wool ties work.  But if you are fishing pocket water like (AHEMM) "Tamihi", then it's likely the fish are being flossed/snagged.  That's a pretty obvious example.  But fish can be flossed almost anywhere.  Hopefully you are not observing people lifting their rod tip at the end of every drift.  However, I won't assume anything - just giving you a tip about what people may be doing around you and how to recognize it.

One thing I would suggest is consider using (wait for it...) roe.  There!  I said it!  The FFM recommended bait!  The best roe is cured by the fisherman (not the store bought stuff).   But roe can make a huge difference - especially at first light.  Roe bags are another good option if you find you re-baiting to often.

I have also had great success flyfishing for salmon.  However, you need to find the right water for flies which can be challenging to find on the Vedder.  This is a whole other topic so I'll let you ask the question before continuing on here.

Good to hear you got out with your son.  Enjoy it!  It's only your first year, and there is a steep learning curve - especially if you don't have someone to mentor you.  Good luck and have fun!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

River level dropped faster than expected overnight and is totally fishable today.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Went out this Am but nothing slipped out for 45 minutes this evening and landed a wild jack coho salmon and had several other bites so I guess the odd coho still around. A chap in the canal tossing a spoon said he saw 3 coho rise.

Water conditions perfect.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Not much rain overnight, water should be good.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Not much rain overnight, water should be good.

But where is the hot spot? ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Not new to fishing, grew up fishing the okanagan and interior lakes and streams for trout. Mainly fly fishing. This is my first real attempt at salmon fishing though. My son is nearly 12 and got the bug for fishing this summer and it got me back into it as well.

Most everyone I've met at the river have been really helpful and a tackle shop near work (First Light in Burnaby) have been really great with info also. One older guy was showing me this last weekend how he was catching fish and even gave me a chunk of the yarn he's been using and helped me set up my gear like his. I realized  after that I've probably not been fishing deep enough in the water, which is probably part of my problem. Nearly every time I've been out, I've been the only one in the area I'm fishing to have NOT caught a fish, which only adds to the frustration. So I guess if you want to catch fish, come fishing with me?

I think my advice going into next season, after having done this close to twenty years, is maybe spend a few hours and walk the river and don't focus so much on the fishing first. Take a look at each run, different types of water, where people are fishing, how people are fishing, who's catching what. If they're catching coho, what are they using, how are they using it. Too often I see new salmon anglers trying to catch fish, the focus shifts to getting as many casts as you can when you get to the river, casting to where the fish are jumping, going to spots where most people are fishing. You'd have more success in the long run by observing first.

SilverChaser

Lost 3 coho this morning, but my consolation prize was a beautiful Bulltrout, about 3 pounds or so.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

dobrolub

I think my advice going into next season...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

But where is the hot spot? ;D
Lips are sealed on this one but could guide yo4 on Monday, like 2001 but no upside down reels..lol

BBarley

3 years ago during a Steelhead trip up north I was chatting with a local way up on the copper and he commented on the signs which I had in my camper van windows. He seemed offended that I had them up and said something along the lines of  "people up here wont mess with your vehicle like that"  I told him I was from the lower mainland and I'm used to fishing the C/V.  He chuckled with some sympathy as  it all became clear and made perfect sense to him.

Speaking as someone who grew up on all those rivers and continues to frequent them to this day, I'd be more weary of a black bear breaking into my vehicle scouring for scraps than some strung out tweaker looking for crack money. It really comes down to ease of access for these people, where else can you find hundreds of cars all parked along the side of a major road, half of which has no cell service, with their owners in some cases not even close to being within earshot. Not sure there is anything anyone can do but leave your vehicle completely gutted and carry a horse shoe around with them. Unfortunately it's one of those things like most things in life where only a few ruin it for the many by leaving valuables within sight and feed the beast that is this endemic problem.

My solution, fish up north more 8)

Drewhill

Bunch of guys had their windows smashed and stuff stolen at Browne this morning.

bigsnag

• Old Timer

From Friday:
It ain't the roe bro'

Stratocaster

• Old Timer

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer

Nice work bigsnag!  Btw - Stratocaster and I saw you walking your dog Sat evening close to my place.  We waved at you but you didn't see us.  We didn't do as well as you.  Only dark coho and the odd clean chum.