Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Poaching Sturgeon (no, not the cooking kind)  (Read 2118 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Poaching Sturgeon (no, not the cooking kind)
« on: September 10, 2018, 09:54:02 AM »

bobby b

Re: Poaching Sturgeon (no, not the cooking kind)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 10:14:33 AM »

Unbelievable.

Hope they pay dearly for that.

I've been asked in the past if I have ever gone Sturgeon fishing.... As much as I love fishing, Sturgeon is one fish I have no desire to target. I think they should be just left alone.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 10:40:10 AM »

Let's close the sturgeon fishing. It is not fun to haul such a weight to beach. The same excitement can be achieved by hauling a barbell in the back yard

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 10:56:44 AM »

Unbelievable.

Hope they pay dearly for that.

I've been asked in the past if I have ever gone Sturgeon fishing.... As much as I love fishing, Sturgeon is one fish I have no desire to target. I think they should be just left alone.

Bobby, I share the sentiment 100%.
I stopped fishing for sturgeon almost a decade ago and never regretted my decision.

4x4

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 09:56:42 AM »

Let's close the sturgeon fishing. It is not fun to haul such a weight to beach. The same excitement can be achieved by hauling a barbell in the back yard

That is not true at all.
These are a fantastic game fish that will give you a fight and memories that most people will never forget. I got addicted to these fish about 10 years ago and bought a 20' boat to fish for them 3 years ago.

In the 10 years I've fished for them, I have only taken approx 5-7 fish to shore. I prefer to release them from the side of the boat. Just don't need the hero shots even though I do understand that guides do bring the bigger fish to shore with there clients for pictures. A few guides that I have seen over the years could learn some better handling practices but overall these professionals know what they are doing and these hardy fish get releaesed safely.

Sturgeon are a remarkable species that deserve the attention of everyone that is on the Fraser or around the Fraser.
If they close this fishery down, the eyes are no longer there to catch these ignorant people that need to make their money by selling these magnificant fish. If the guide that filmed the douches wasn't on the river do you think that those poachers would just take one fish and stop? No way. Who knows how many fish they would or have taken. Unfortunately Sturgeon poaching is a big problem on the river. These slow growing fish have enough to deal with besides poachers.

Imo the best way to help them is proper handling when catching and releasing and having as many people on the river keeping an eye out for poachers.

Fyi, I am not a guide just a guy that has a huge amount of respect and love for these incredible fish.

And a reminder to people handling Sturgeon or any fish that is going to be releaesd, please do not touch their gills.

Salmon season is now starting to get into full swing, everyone have fun and be safe out there.

Cheers

Dennis

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 09:59:42 AM by 4x4 »