Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Launching Etiquette  (Read 3446 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Launching Etiquette
« on: August 02, 2004, 08:44:39 AM »

While lauching at Island 22 this year I noticed some procedures that are worth noting.

1 If the launch is busy get you boat in and out as quickly as possible. When leaving after picking the boat out of the water move out of the way into some vacant part of the launch to tie your boat down etc.

2 When arriving back to the launch or moving away from it try to slow down as much as possible as too many boats come in at a high rate of speed making large waves that makes it a bit tough trying to load or unload your boat. I guess with jet boats it may be harder to slow down but approach the launch from out a bit in the river and then drift down to where you are going to pull out.

3 A lot of jet boat owners put their boat on the trailer under power.
I guess that is ok to a certain extent but when they really gun the engine to get it right up to the front of the trailer it creates holes in the gravel that when the water drops trailer wheels get stuck in it. I had to be pulled out a while back as the trailer wheels dropped into one of these holes. ::) >:( Maybe consider winching it the last few feet.

4 When pulling the trailer and boat out of the water try not to spin your wheels as it creates ruts also. If you have 4 wheel drive put it in.

My ideas, others may have some comments as well.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 12:19:42 AM by chris gadsden »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re:Launching Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 11:15:42 AM »

Good advice Chris

TtotheE

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 12:20:21 PM »

While taking a course for my boat operating licence,  I learned that you you are liable for all damages or injury caused by the wake created by your boat. Although, I've wondered how a person in a canoe or row boat will catch up to a speed boat that just flipped you over  ???

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 12:26:17 AM »

Excellent post Chris and great advice from the others. Some people sure are disrespectful when launching. Whenever you get stuck you don't need to hammer the accelorater and spray debris everywhere to get out. All this does is make a mess and chew up the launch making it harder for others to get out when they roll right into it.

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 05:02:28 PM »

Those jet boat ruts area also a hazard to anyone jumping off the bow of a boat thinking they are stepping into 2' of water and then practically going under. Several buddies of mine have done this in the last couple of years and ended up going for a swim.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 08:49:24 AM »

Needed assistance to get out on Monday because all the sand was washed out of the gravel and it wouldn't pack down.  Looks like Island 22 is 4x4 only now.

By the way.  Thanks again to the Phillipino fella that yanked me out.  :D :D :D Real nice guy.  Great to see a new immigrant being so friendly and helpful.  Too bad all the newbies get a bad wrap from the few bad ones Ottawa lets in.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 01:32:35 PM by grumman »

BirdNester

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 04:32:57 PM »

Great to see a new immigrant being so friendly and helpful.  Too bad all the newbies get a bad wrap from the few bad ones Ottawa lets in.
Hehehe, WTF, where did that come from?
RobertO