Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moving to Victoria  (Read 1616 times)

Barbelface

Moving to Victoria
« on: August 15, 2018, 08:15:05 AM »

After spending the last 15 years in Maple Ridge I will be moving to North Saanich. I've been spoilt with all the salmon/steelhead opportunities on my doorstep and am thinking that it may be time to downsize my collection of fishing gear as I don't believe there's a lot of rivers available close to my new location.
I know there is good fishing up island but is there anywhere within an hours drive of Saanich that will allow me to put my CP outfit to good use?

Thx

ShaunO

Re: Moving to Victoria
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 09:16:11 AM »

Both the Nanaimo and Cowichan rivers are can be productive and I'm sure there are more streams out west past Sooke that you could start exploring as well.

If you go beyond the hours drive radius, you open the doors to a lot more rivers to explore and fish.  Nitinat, Nahmint, Stamp system, Campbell & Quinsam, Little Qualicum... the list goes on.  Half of the fun is going to be hitting the road with your fishing gear and finding that water.

Good luck!

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 10:15:55 AM »

Within an hour, to put your CP to good use, the only river of note (to my knowledge) is the Cowichan. The Goldstream River is closed to fishing and the Sooke River is flyfish only in the fall months.  There are other rivers of note west of Sooke and north of Duncan but that would put you outside your hour window.

To expand your fishing opportunities I suggest that you'll need the embrace the sea, which will be a switch for a Maple Ridge boy.   

Lots of sea run cutthroat opportunities on the south island, shore casting for migrating salmon at places such as Beechy Head or Otter Point, and river/creek mouths to fish for staging salmon. As well, there are a variety of fish to be caught off Ogden Point.   

Barbelface

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 11:21:15 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will a change in tactics is definitely on the cards. :)

ByteMe

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 02:09:49 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will a change in tactics is definitely on the cards. :)

You don't downsize your gear when you move to the island........you keep adding as we fish 12 months a year with so many different species, both in the fresh and salt, you will never be bored :)
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 03:29:15 PM »

Get some Crab traps too.