Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do sockeye enter all arms of the fraser or only the north arm?  (Read 2595 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

I was just wondering when sockeye enter the fraser do they stick to the north arm - or do they go as far as the middle and south arm? Has anyone ever seen/encountered sockeye as low as the south arm?

Thanks

ynot

• Old Timer
Re: Do sockeye enter all arms of the fraser or only the north arm?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 08:16:21 PM »

most go  up the south arm.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 07:17:27 PM »

In years of the big run like this year, about Sept. 18, you can sometimes see the entire south arm, just above Steveston, bouncing with jumping fish.  Hundreds and hundreds of them.   Unlike the Pink that seem to follow the shore, they go right up the middle.

tfishy

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 10:16:13 AM »

In years of the big run like this year, about Sept. 18, you can sometimes see the entire south arm, just above Steveston, bouncing with jumping fish.  Hundreds and hundreds of them.   Unlike the Pink that seem to follow the shore, they go right up the middle.

thanks and wow that'd be a sight to see.

Interesting though when i was up at Hope a few years ago watching the sockeye flossing - the socks were being caught close to shore as well as folks casting way way out. And this was on a WIDE stretch of the fraser.

I wonder why they'd change their swimming behaviour from only focusing  on the middle further up from the mouth.

blueback

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 11:36:25 AM »

Faster current; harder to swim against.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 05:18:52 PM »

I suspect they follow the shore more than realized upstream where the current is stronger.  Fishers cast way out and hook fish on the end of the swing.  It depends of course on the topography.  They will hug a steep shore adjacent to strong current but move out to mid-stream on a shallow shore.  I think Springs tend to go up under the faster current.