Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead Sturgeon Hatzic Lake  (Read 5818 times)

dave c

Dead Sturgeon Hatzic Lake
« on: August 09, 2018, 02:18:34 PM »

Saw a post on fb today. Adult sturgeon 25 -50 yrs old. Very disturbing. People have been advised against swimming there last couple weeks.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: Dead Sturgeon Hatzic Lake
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 03:26:53 PM »

That lake has always had issues. The countless septic tanks around the lake dont help either.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 03:39:05 PM »

Boy, I'd be curious to know the life story of that fish. Is it resident to Hatzic, or has it been migratory?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 03:55:23 PM »

I assume it was trapped when they blocked the lake off. Same goes for the Seaton lake Sturgeon.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 04:10:23 PM »

I assume it was trapped when they blocked the lake off. Same goes for the Seaton lake Sturgeon.
Perhaps, but the flood control measures were constructed in 1949 (or so I read)

So if the estimated age of the fish is accurate, it was either spawned in the lake, or its watershed, or it was migratory at some point(s) in its life.   

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 10:39:54 PM »

I found a dead 6 footer on the banks of the fraser today as well. It was pretty eaten/sun baked, so impossible to tell what killed it. Would have been a nice fish in its prime though. Sucks to see them dead.

I often wonder how fishing effects them in these warm temps, especially the fish that are 50+ years old. At this time of year, I imagine the fish are often caught or hooked multiple times each, and then held for extended periods of time in shallow warm water. I know they are insanely tough, but it has to be a stressor on them. The nets in the river at this time of year don't do them any favours either.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 06:40:22 AM »

Salmon make through the bottom end into the lake and spawn in some of the tributaries. Whatever obstruction is down there under the railway and at the Fraser it must be big enough to allow sizable fish through.

In past dry hot summers some sturgeon have died in oxygen depleted deep river holes. Some have been 10+ feet long.  Other fish get killed or mortality injured in gill and set nets.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 07:19:30 AM »

Ralph, I'm surprised that there can be oxygen depleted deep holes in such a fast flowing river. But if that's the case then Sturgeon fishing should cease during the hot summer months. Fish a big dinosaur up to the warm surface, sap it of it's energy, load it up with lactic acid, starve it from oxygen for the hero shots on-board and then let it go to the oxygen depleted depths of the river - hmmm - that doesn't sound very nice.

Let's get Pamela Anderson out here for her PETA assessment. But not today's Pamela Anderson but the one from Baywatch 30 years ago. 

I'm sure the sturgeon from the Fraser are very durable but the average newbie sturgeon sporty doesn't know how to handle the big fish properly. They will over play the fish and then drag it into shore and hold it there far too long for the hero shot and then stress/damage the internal organs by improper handling. At least the guides are very much aware of proper handling and exposure times.

The other think is what baits are some of the sporties or poachers using? Their baits may be tasty but toxic to the sturgeon, whether they know it or know. I wouldn't doubt the poachers drop big bait bags (of who knows what) down to attract sturgeon into certain locations much like the a-holers that set bait for bear hunts.

But if they knew there was a big sturgeon in the Hatzic mud hole - why wouldn't they capture and release it to the river? Or do you just have to let nature take its course through the mess that Man has made?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 07:54:01 AM »

Well after reading that I can't help wondering how you'd fare being submerged in a deep oxygen depleted hole in the Fraser for some indeterminate length of time? If Pamela Anderson came to your rescue, removed her t-shirt and pressed your face tight between her bosoms would you be revived? Strange Things may be going on underneath the surface of such events! Does the vision of her Baywatch boobs wake you in the night leaving you wondering where your youth and vitality have gone? Perhaps it is the effects of sleep apnea? These are things to think about the next time you get a midnight snack from the same fridge in which you hide your secret sturgeon bait.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 08:51:52 AM »

Well after reading that I can't help wondering how you'd fare being submerged in a deep oxygen depleted hole in the Fraser for some indeterminate length of time? If Pamela Anderson came to your rescue, removed her t-shirt and pressed your face tight between her bosoms would you be revived? Strange Things may be going on underneath the surface of such events! Does the vision of her Baywatch boobs wake you in the night leaving you wondering where your youth and vitality have gone? Perhaps it is the effects of sleep apnea? These are things to think about the next time you get a midnight snack from the same fridge in which you hide your secret sturgeon bait.

I appreciated a 20's year old Pamela.

Ralph, your rant tells me you've recently been in the sun a little too long.

I'm not sure what Pamela's boobs have to do with anything other than you seem focused on them. We used to play against Pamela a fair bit in slow pitch tournaments back before that Labatt's Blue poster caught the attention of a "talent" scout and she went onto Baywatch stardom. She's used her celebrity status to bring attention to PETA causes. Pamela still catches peoples attention and she's still a nice person but her days in the glamorous spotlight are behind her now.

Anyways, If people knew about the suffering sturgeon in Hatzic mud hole, perhaps something could have been done to rescue the beast - but since it's too late - it's too late.

Ralph, I'm still unsure what you were squawking about but I'm glad you got that off your chest - clearly it was weighing heavy on you. Take care.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 09:53:22 AM »

Me squawking? You bought Pamela up so you tell me what she or slow pitch has to with sturgeon?
Never heard the phrase "never kid a kidder"? I guess you can't take your own medicine.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 10:07:28 AM by RalphH »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 10:16:58 AM »

Just saw on Facebook they found another one dead in Hatzic Lake at 6pm last night.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 10:33:34 AM »

Me squawking? You bought Pamela up so you tell me what she or slow pitch has to with sturgeon?
Never heard the phrase "never kid a kidder"? I guess you can't take your own medicine.  ;D

Ralph, either you miss-read or miss-interpreted, either way it doesn't matter. I was about to write the connection but I guess that would also fly over your head. Give and take is all part of the fun but clearly you're confused and angry. No worries Ralph, you go love yourself and have a nice day.
Cheers.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 10:51:01 AM »

Looks like Ralph was right

Word on the street is 28C water, Algae bloom and low oxygen.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 11:08:53 AM »

That's why I called the Hatzic a mud hole.

I was referring to my surprise to deep holes in the Fraser having low oxygen. Still surprised when there is so much water movement.

Too bad the fish was doomed in it's mud hole.