Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about chest wader  (Read 4045 times)

Hung

• I'm a llama!
Questions about chest wader
« on: August 03, 2004, 10:51:57 PM »

Sorry about these newbie questions.  I just bought a used Neoprene chest wader (TrophyXL) for $29 at a sport store.  Looks like it's in pretty good shape.  Now what kind of shoes do I need with it?  The guy at the store said I did not need any shoe because the Neoprene bottom is pretty tough, or that I could use one of those hiking sandals with the velcro straps on it.  Is that true?  Or do I need some additional wading boots?  If so, do you know where I can get a used pair of such boots in Vancouver or Richmond?  I only get to go fishing 2-3 times a year so I don't want to spend too much money in it.

Also, what is a wader bell?  I understand it's for safety reason?  

THANKS!

Alex015

Re:Questions about chest wader
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 10:54:42 PM »

hey hung, not sure about the used shoes, but i think waht the guy meant was a wading belt... you put it around your waders so taht water doesnt get in if you fall in.  just a nice safety precaution, remember not to wade in too deep, you don't have to anyways  ;D

FLYallAROUND

• Getzlaf is amazing
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 12:02:55 AM »

last time i checked, michael and youngs carrys a cheap wading boot for 39 bucks. they have 2 locations, surrey and vancouver

Hung

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 12:09:07 AM »

I bought if from a used sporting store.  They don't have much fishing gears so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't know much about waders.  They do have hiking boots.  They are not water proof but they are cheap.  Can I use these instead, given that I use them only a few times a year?

Also, please explain what a "wader bell" is and how it works.  THANKS!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 12:19:01 AM »

A wader belt is just as the name implies. It is a belt that you put on your waist or higher with your waders on. It prevents water from flooding into your chest wader if you fall in.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 08:34:35 AM »

$29???????

what store?

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 08:41:50 AM »

Hung.  Stop right there!  If you plan on walking in them you WILL need shoes.  If you are going to walk in a river then you should buy wadding boots.  Buy propper wadding boots with felt soles.  So what if you only use them 2-3 times per year.  They will last.  I would say that the guy in the used goods store doesn't know much about river fishing.  But, good on him for recommending a wading belt.  If you fall in with out one on you may as well kiss your family good by now.  Good luck with the fishing.

Hung

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 12:37:27 PM »

Thank you all for your explanations.  It makes sense to me now.  I can see how dangerous it is without the wading belt.  You might have saved my life!  And yes I will also look for some kind of shoes to go with it too.